ARE YOU A MEAT ADDICT?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dr. Jai Maharaj, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Are you a meat addict?

    By Maneka Gandhi
    The Pioneer

    Any stranger who wants to start a conversation with me
    believes that he has to concentrate on one of these three
    things: Asking me about the health of the environment (as
    if I am the only person who has eyes to see the
    devastation and a nose to smell the air), to complain
    about stray dogs (even if he has never seen one in his
    life), or to tell me that he/she hardly eats meat; in
    fact, he/she is almost a vegetarian.

    The last is mere self delusion: The way a smoker tells
    you that he can give up cigarettes any time. If I tell
    them to take the final step into vegetarianism,
    immediately I get the strangest excuses: "If we didn't
    eat, these animals would proliferate and there would be
    no space for humans beings."

    Are you suffering from a meat addiction? This is, in many
    ways, similar to a liquor addiction. Answer this simple
    test.

    a) When the doctor told you not to eat meat because of
    your heart condition, did you immediately ask, "Can I eat
    fish and chicken?"

    b) Do you feel insulted or unfulfilled if you go to a
    person's house for a meal and they don't serve meat?

    c) Do you grumble when you are asked to a vegetarian's
    house for a meal and ask, "keval ghaas-phoos milega?"

    d) Do you believe that eating meat is a sign of wealth or
    being socially upwardly mobile (khaata-peeta khandaan)?

    e) When you are told about the suffering of the animal
    you are eating do you respond with: "I didn't kill it?"

    f) If your children do not want to eat meat, do you force
    them saying, "How will you become strong otherwise?"

    g) Do you think that vegetarians are eccentric?

    h) Do you believe that you can be a vegetarian at home
    but if you entertain, you must serve meat to your guests?

    i) Do you take medicine for high cholesterol but continue
    to eat meat?

    j) Do you feel hostile, resentful or guilty in the
    presence of vegetarians?

    k) Do you enjoy cooking and food travel programmes on TV
    that are exclusively about killing and eating meat/fish?

    l) Do you buy your chicken yourself from a shop that has
    live chickens in cages watching you take

    the body of one of theirs. Have you ever noticed them?

    m) Do you treat meat as the main dish in your house and
    vegetables and dal as secondary?

    n) Do you believe that meat eating is good?

    o) Do you claim to love animals but continue to eat them?

    p) Do you openly say, "You only live once. What is wrong
    with making the best of it?"

    q) Do you say, "Even animals kill each other. It is the
    survival of the fittest?"

    r) Do you say, "It is a cultural thing with us. We have
    been doing it for centuries. We cannot change now?"

    s) Do you worry about what people will think of you if
    you become vegetarian?

    t) When your child tells you he wants to become
    vegetarian, do you immediately say, "We can't cook
    separately for you?"

    u) Do you think that hunting animals is "macho" - the
    thing that men do?

    v) Do you think that alcohol cannot be enjoyed unless you
    are eating meat?

    w) Do you think that vegetarianism is meant only for
    women while all men should be fed meat?

    If you have answered yes to any of these questions, you
    are a meat addict. The effects of meat addiction are, to
    name a few: Ecoli infections, high cholesterol, heart
    attacks, strokes, cancer, impotence, obesity and many
    more. It means high acidity because that is what the
    animal secretes into its meat when it dies. It means that
    whatever disease the animal has, is likely to find root
    in your body.

    For instance chickens regularly get cholera. It also
    means vegetarians get ecoli and other diseases because
    meat shops are usually next to vegetable shops and flies
    spread the deadly infections from the rotting meat to all
    other foods.

    For India, it means less drinking water, no forests,
    polluted lakes, a high oil import bill and less money for
    all. I will explain those another time. All addictions,
    drugs, nicotine, meat, alcohol harm not just the user but
    everyone around him. And all users have one thing in
    common, they try to get other people to become as
    habituated so that they do not feel isolated. Examine
    yourself. Are you one of them?

    Read the complete news at:
    http://www.dailypioneer.com

    News Plus
    http://www.mantra.com/newsplus

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti

    Panchaang for 22 Ashadh 5104, Sunday, July 20, 2003:

    Shubhanu Nama Samvatsare Dakshinaya Nartana Ritau
    Kark Mase Krishna Pakshe Bhanu Vasara Yuktayam
    Revati-Ashvini Nakshatr Sukarm-Dhriti Yog
    Bav-Balav Karan Saptami-Ashtami Yam Tithau

    Hindu Holocaust Museum
    http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

    Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
    http://www.hindu.org
    http://www.hindunet.org

    The truth about Islam and Muslims
    http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

    o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for the
    educational purposes of research and open discussion. The contents of
    this post may not have been authored by, and do not necessarily represent
    the opinion of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright law
    and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
    considered or answered if it does not contain your full legal name,
    current e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number.
    o Posted for information and discussion. Views expressed by others
    are not necessarily those of the poster.

    Tags:

  2. dbragg

    dbragg Guest

    Please refrain from posting your opinions on this support group. I do not
    find them helpful to my situation and I am tired of hearing the same thing
    over and over again. I am also addicted to water and breathing but I don't
    intend to quit either of these addictions.

    news:[email protected]