Are you a real cyclist?

A real cyclist is someone who can break the hour for a 25 on a course that requires the use of both chainring on a road bike without tri-bars, carbon wheels and aero helmets...

jhuskey said:
I am always "real" when I ride my bike. Real tired and winded that is.

it's a touchy subject, being real or not. i guess i don't t agree with all the juvenile attitudes that come with cycling, at least here in Houston and that is one forum that goes along with that, only one. i don't agree with those who own high end equipment and shouldn't by any and all rights other than that they could afford it as the equipment is begging to be used properly. it's like that white collared worker who drives an F-350 dually only because he can and needs something to make himself feel big. that's a nice truck, no doubt, but it's in the wrong hands. that truck needs to be worked in the same manner that road bikes need to be ridden, on the road and hard.

but what do i know, i'm probably the only one here who's raced bike for bike, man against man, one on one....and won. and he had a 30 minute head start. go figure.

Real cyclist here, and I know I am because it's something I do as opposed to something I do when I have time.

TomInFLA said:
Real cyclist here, and I know I am because it's something I do as opposed to something I do when I have time.

that's pretty good, Tom. whereabouts in Florida?

roadhouse said:
it's a touchy subject, being real or not. i guess i don't t agree with all the juvenile attitudes that come with cycling, at least here in Houston and that is one forum that goes along with that, only one. i don't agree with those who own high end equipment and shouldn't by any and all rights other than that they could afford it as the equipment is begging to be used properly. it's like that white collared worker who drives an F-350 dually only because he can and needs something to make himself feel big. that's a nice truck, no doubt, but it's in the wrong hands. that truck needs to be worked in the same manner that road bikes need to be ridden, on the road and hard.

but what do i know, i'm probably the only one here who's raced bike for bike, man against man, one on one....and won. and he had a 30 minute head start. go figure.

What a colossally stupid load of drivel.

lol, which part, bike for bike or man against man ?

Because that was all I understood, the rest was in a secret ironman language only ironmen or real cyclists can understand.

Wow, a 30 minute start huh ? Listen, you need to stop racing the nursing home folks, their electric scooters have governors...

toomanybikes said:
What a colossally stupid load of drivel.

no, stupid is replying as you did, especially when you don't know me. and from the time i first started riding i was always trying my damned best to stay up front with the leaders and i accomplished that and on an old aluminum trek 1000 with sora against full carbon whatever with super record and the likes. that's why i came to the conclusion that it's not about the bike. and that analogy that i used fits according to me, i work out of trucks and have done so for a decade.

Are you sure that's when you came to that conclusion ???

Not because Big Lances book is called : "IT'S NOT ABOUT THE BIKE" right ???

gman0482 said:
Are you sure that's when you came to that conclusion ???

Not because Big Lances book is called : "IT'S NOT ABOUT THE BIKE" right ???

I knew I had heard that somewhere but I assumed RH had coined that phrase himself.
Imagine my disappointment now knowing the truth.:rolleyes:

roadhouse said:
i need a new truck.

There it is...... So who are we talking to now ? :D is there someone else behind that computer at the moment ??

Now I know how one day roadhouse is an ironman, and the next day he's a real cyclist, after that he's a cage fighter, and on sundays he's a gangsta drug pusher..... 4 DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES !!

ex drug dealer. but you only care to stay on your measely route with it. ever try riding a trainer? you can sit and spin on it and go no where as well.

I do it 5 days a week. It's great. lol, kid, do me a favor ok ? don't tell anyone else you're a drug dealer. You say it like a 7th grader trying to impress his squeeze. I know sometimes in the movies they look cool, like Tony Montana, or George Jung, but they weren't really cool, you do know that right ?

roadhouse said:
that's pretty good, Tom. whereabouts in Florida?
Central west coast of Florida, Bradenton area. Great rides up and down the Gulf of Mexico from where I live.

according to me ... some one who take every moment between work, family, to practice cycling in a state of art (good bike, good equipement, respect rules and other cyclist) are real cyclist !!!
my father is doing about 15000 kilometers/year (6month winter/6 month summer quebec reality) so for me he is a real cyclist not a tour de france winner ... but a cycling lover like me and wife and son ... we do only 2500/3000 by years but we loved this sport and we doing it in family !!! so we are real cyclist .... :p

I'm with you stdu.

TominFLA, what do you mean by "something you do" as opposed to "something you do when you have time" ???

gman0482 said:
I'm with you stdu.

TominFLA, what do you mean by "something you do" as opposed to "something you do when you have time" ???
It's part of my life, rather than something I do when I can fit it in. Or better yet, ask my wife how cranky I am when I don't get to ride in a given day.

TomInFLA said:
It's part of my life, rather than something I do when I can fit it in. Or better yet, ask my wife how cranky I am when I don't get to ride in a given day.

at this point it's no fun ... it's like a disease ... ask your wife !!! :eek: