are you a true Italian....

mattjf

Jul 31, 2005
.... if you don't know who Coppi, Bartali, or Tullio Campagnolo is?

There's probably other people that could be added to that list (Basso, Cipollini, etc.)

Yes, it's a serious discussion that occured on a group ride.

I've never been to Italy, so I don't know how much cycling is entrenched in the culture.

-Matt

I've known a few Italians, and I've learned that cycling is huge over there. My dads GF is Italian, was born in sicily in fact. I know another Italian who I assume is also Sicillian, given how big he is. I've learned from them and others that cycling is really important, but moreso for the guys. My dads GF doesn't know a thing about bikes, but thats because she wasn't allowed to ride them "To dangerous", which makes sense, as we all know Italians are really bad drivers... :p

I know of all these riders, I've been to Italy, I love pasta, I even have some Campag stuff, I was born in Australia and I have English/Romanian/German background, and I was cheering for Bettini during the race I watched on tele last weekend - does that make me a true Italian?

I'm confused.

Everybody in Italy knows who is Coppi, Bartali and Cipollini. Of course Pantani.
Probably not everybody knows Campagnolo.

Man does not live by pasta and bicicletta alone!
Malto bello,ora che italiano!

As one of the (few) resident Italians on the forum, I can tell you that most people here know who Coppi, Bartali, Cipollini and Pantani are, and most are aware of Campagnolo as the best in terms of bike components... they might not know who Tullio was though... :rolleyes:

... and we are the best drivers in the world... the problem are the foreigners, who all don't know how to drive!:p :D

janiejones said:
I'm going for a bowl of pasta right now!

Pasta sounds good...unfortunately I have no opportunity for any Barbara Taurua for dessert. :(

Powerful Pete said:
... and we are the best drivers in the world... the problem are the foreigners, who all don't know how to drive!:p :D
driving in Italy is similar to a Brazilian prison riot, but less organised.

My favourite country apart from Ireland : Italia.

Driving in Roma (or any Italian big city) is tough going.

Are you Italian if you don't know Coppi, Bartali etc?
You won't be Italian if you've never heard of Totti, Maldini, Rossi, Zoff, either.
I think soccer might edge cycling in the Italian psyche.

I watched the 2005 world road race championship while in Rome last year.
The people there were very informative and knew their cycling.

Pasta, Dolce Vita, Roman architecture, beautiful fresco's in churches, the weather, beautiful women, handsome men, : I feel another trip to Italy coming on!

limerickman said:
Pasta, Dolce Vita, Roman architecture, beautiful fresco's in churches, the weather, beautiful women, handsome men, : I feel another trip to Italy coming on!
Please do let me know! :cool:

limerickman said:

Limerick,

And what about Birra Peroni? I was there last week.

Kind regards, :p

jhuskey said:
Man does not live by pasta and bicicletta alone!
Malto bello,ora che italiano!
Are you implying something about the photo you posted with your use of masculine adjectives?

rousseau said:
Are you implying something about the photo you posted with your use of masculine adjectives?

Sorry, I am just an ignorant hillbilly.

Powerful Pete said:
Nastro Azzurro.

Pete,

I don't dispute your choice in beer one bit. However, when I travel I go for the bigger bottles I can find in supermarkets. Nastro always seems to be in the smaller sizes. Bearing in mind that I don't only use it for refreshment, but also to brush my teeth and so on. The bigger bottle size always leaves some over to gargle!

I learned long ago that beer rather than water is the way to go when travelling. It has held me in good stead against Montezuma's revenge and the like, every-where except Egypt where finding a grog outlet is pretty difficult.

In the resturant, well thats another thing, Nastro every time. :p

Kind regards,

jhuskey said:
Sorry, I am just an ignorant hillbilly.

Huskey,

Now, Now.

Are you saying that that rumour about mountain men, loving mount'n woman isn't true? It is also rumoured that you appreciate a beer. How could anybody with the appreciation of these finer things in life be classified as ignorant?

Is there anything finer in life than woman and beer? Or am I just a Philistine?

Kind regards

James Bruce Gil said:
Huskey,

Now, Now.

Are you saying that that rumour about mountain men, loving mount'n woman isn't true? It is also rumoured that you appreciate a beer. How could anybody with the appreciation of these finer things in life be classified as ignorant?

Is there anything finer in life than woman and beer? Or am I just a Philistine?

Kind regards

There is always more to try and experience. If I profess that I know all I may miss out on something wonderful.
Don't you agree?

jhuskey said:
There is always more to try and experience. If I profess that I know all I may miss out on something wonderful.
Don't you agree?

Huskey,

I agree and as the old saying goes; I'll try anything other than a sh*t sandwich once. Just in case I miss out. I wouldn't want to die wondering after all.

Kind regards,