Are You Comfortable in Spandex?

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
After reading a few threads in Next Gen, I thought I'd get a thread going here. Some of the comments were, if you can make yourself look good in spandex you'll never have a problem getting a date. Another, some guys look like they're trying to show off their stuff. Sorry not word for word, but similar.

I myself was shy at first. Till one day I was leaning up against a window at a convenience store when a good looking woman walked by saying, you have really nice legs. Thank you!

But I'm a man, got to take what I can.

On the other hand, my wife Gina. Women get more comments. She's a really curvy girl. Still at 60 guys, even young guys still put an eye on her body in spandex.

Funny because Gina is really shy and quiet and really reserved. But on the bike she'll wear spandex no problem and even tops that show some.

She's actually self conscious about having a big round booty but that's what was dealt at birth.

So f we go on a ride, I don't feel self conscious but Gina being the self conscious one receives a lot more comments than I ha ha ha!

I'm usually at the front so we've had friends draft her wheel entire rides. Iv had about 3 or 4 guys come up to me after the ride saying I don't mean no disrespect but damn she's got a sexy azz. If she wears a lighter top during summer, more comments. I'm a picture taker and taken pics of Gina with friends and during summer wardrobe they often remind me to send them a copy.

I don't think either one of us has a problem. Even after rides, if we stop for lunch I'll put shorts over my spandex. Gina goes in spandex. She says she shy but I'm not so sure I believe her.

Just me, a big guy on spandex. Nothing much to look at.

20220731_111232.jpg

Gina with some junk in the trunk. I have a couple ride partners who are always willing to ride her wheel. She says it doesn't bother her and she pays no attention.
82308D.JPG

In a summer top. She says she's shy. I had one friend take a pic with her, arm around her in this top. He got pretty excited when he saw the pic asking for a copy. Wish I had saved it just because of the happy look on his face ha ha ha.
Bikes2.jpg

Reactions: cobbwheels
Your wife definitely looks a lot younger than 60!

I prefer loose casual everything. I have the form to show off but I'd rather NOT to.

Besides, the loose clothing helps keep my speed safe on very long descents without having to drag my brakes all the way down.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
If you want to call it lycra that is ok too! But yes on road or off , I'm a big "spandex" fan.
I'm usually going too fast because of it to hear the comments as I rip by. Expect wearing lycra / spandex to get you attention ,leering and might even land you a date !

Neighbors love to tease me about the tights , but they wouldn't look good in kit so I just smile and keep pedaling.
IOW spandex is at the very least a nice free-view for the horn-dogs out there.

Comments may be detailed. "wow, huge vein" ect.

I'm literally not comfortable on tight shorts. It makes my crotch rub the saddle where the nose begins no matter what saddle I use. That is one more reason I don't like anything tight down there.

I got big hamstrings and tight shorts makes them bulge inwards and makes my thighs and crotch rub the nose of the saddle.

I'm literally not comfortable on tight shorts. It makes my crotch rub the saddle where the nose begins no matter what saddle I use. That is one more reason I don't like anything tight down there.

I got big hamstrings and tight shorts makes them bulge inwards and makes my thighs and crotch rub the nose of the saddle.

Seems you're wearing your shorts tge wrong way. I believe you wear cargo shorts and not cycling shorts.

Actually bike shorts are properly fit when tight do they hold the junk up and away from discomfort. Loose fitting shorts allow the junk to fall in harm's way.

Tight board shorts, cargo shorts I wouldn't know because I wouldn't wear them on a bicycle.

Seems you're wearing your shorts tge wrong way. I believe you wear cargo shorts and not cycling shorts.

Actually bike shorts are properly fit when tight do they hold the junk up and away from discomfort. Loose fitting shorts allow the junk to fall in harm's way.

Tight board shorts, cargo shorts I wouldn't know because I wouldn't wear them on a bicycle.

All my closely fitting shorts shorts are cycling shorts with pads the shape of a saddle and made by Fox. Fits me perfectly. I've used them on century rides but really makes saddle nose rub worse. Not a problem on rides under 2 hrs though.

It's probably down to oddities with my hamstring. If I need to be fast, I wear a slightly loose quick dry shorts I modified for cycling. I'm a tiny bit slower when riding with correctly fitting cycling shorts. Maybe, I'd actually be better off with oversized cycling shorts so it's a little bit loose. I definitely will be getting oversized cycling shorts on my next purchase.

All board shorts I wear on rides are loose but not too loose they open up like a parachute as that would be embarrassing!

Last edited:
Hey! When it comes to saddle nose rubbing, finding the right shorts can definitely make a difference. It's great that the Fox cycling shorts fit you perfectly, but if they're causing discomfort, it might be worth trying out some other options. Have you considered trying out different brands or styles of cycling shorts with padding? Sometimes a slight change in fit can alleviate those issues. As for being faster, it's all about finding what works best for you and your comfort on the bike. Give oversized cycling shorts a go and see if it improves your ride. Keep shredding!

Ah, the age-old spandex dilemma. While it's true that well-fitted spandex can make anyone look like a cycling deity, it's also a double-edged sword. One minute you're a velo-god, the next, an over-eager peacock. Remember, it's not about showing off your "stuff," it's about the bike and the ride. And if you're still unsure, just remember: smooth legs = free speed. As for your encounter, sounds like you've discovered the secret power of lycra. Just be careful, you don't want to accidentally start a peloton of admirers. ;)

Ha, the spandex comments had me chuckling. I've seen some road cyclists who should definitely reconsider their wardrobe choices. But hey, if it works for them, who am I to judge? As for me, I stick to my uniform and leave the spandex to the track racers. It's all about staying focused on the ride, not attracting attention. ;)

Some road cyclists might prioritize performance over fashion, which is completely fine. As long as they feel comfortable and it helps them achieve their goals, that's what matters. Riding in a uniform can certainly help maintain focus on the ride, but personal preferences vary. Ultimately, it's all about enjoying the ride and embracing individual choices.

Do you people actually ride bikes? Never heard other cyclists call their kits a uniform.

Spandex for track racers and you wear uniforms? What the heck!

These guys are a bunch of goons. I'm not sure anyones **** can stand up to training for xx hours a week with wearing kit that's made for the damn activity.

While I understand your frustration with the intensity of training and the discomfort of cycling gear, it's important to consider the benefits. Regular training is crucial for improving cycling performance and building endurance. Additionally, specialized cycling attire is designed to optimize comfort and aerodynamics on the bike. It might take some getting used to, but it can greatly enhance the overall cycling experience. So, while it may seem challenging at first, the long-term rewards and enjoyment of cycling make it worth the effort.

Indeed , weird and so incredibly cheesy. Expect a cheese - spread comment following a comment about benefits of gravel riding .

No need to group me with whoever you're referring to. Perhaps grow up, don't post trash you just did. You're actually bringing the post quality down when you do this.