Are you getting better as you're older?

Starting cycling seriously around Christmas(when I got the bike) and the resting heart rate has dropped from 80 to 60 and this 53 year old is now doing 150kms a week plus has started racing and is having a ball.
Halcyon1

sportsmed said:
Just like to find out how many of you road riders ride better now that you are older
Oh, definitely, no question about it.

sportsmed said:
and still training regularly?
Whaddya mean "still"? The reason I'm riding better now that I am older is because I *wasn't* training regularly when I was younger!

I am 47 and have been training since I was 16. Today I am faster and stronger than ever.

I'm fifteen months away from the 2 1/2 pack a day habit now and getting better all the time. I am finally understanding the heart rate thing and purchased a Timex Ironman watch w/digital trans for setting my goals and workouts. I'll be 50 this year... Hills are still kicking my butt but I at least make it up them all in granny.

I just love riding bikes and about 20 miles into a 25 mile evening ride I once again feel like the 14 year old that bought his first "english racer" with his own summer job funds back in 71'

For those of you that pray or meditate (the latter for me) please have good thoughts for my spouse. I've yet to get her off cigarettes and her sedentary lifstyle.

Thanks,
David.

I have gotten better the more that I ride. I learn new things like technique, diet, training routine etc. from magazines, the internet and other riders. I don't think it's age it's just your wiser.

dbackmtg said:
I have gotten better the more that I ride. I learn new things like technique, diet, training routine etc. from magazines, the internet and other riders. I don't think it's age it's just your wiser.
I now do better once a night what I once did all night...ummm oh yeah riding ummm yeah sure age improves the technique, the appreciation of the opportunity and the outcome.... the only thing lacking is the bravado for risk and stupidity and that's a plus!

sportsmed said:
Do you train harder to achieve a better result?

Harder? Yes, to a degree, but the real noticeable gains come from training smarter.

rooman said:
I now do better once a night what I once did all night...ummm oh yeah riding ummm yeah sure age improves the technique, the appreciation of the opportunity and the outcome.... the only thing lacking is the bravado for risk and stupidity and that's a plus!

Riding once a night seems like a good plan, however my night ride training partner does not seem to want to train that much and since training by ones sel is not as desirable I have more limited training time than I use to.
An additional training partner may be the high risk factor of which you speak.

But seriously yesterday was a very windy day and I am talking too dangerous to ride and keep the bike upright. I beat my best effort on the trainer by 34 calories. I think I am going to have a good year.

Yeah all around in many aspects one gets better with time. Riding, why not?

I've definitely gotten better as I get older. You get more experience under your belt and it makes it easier on you I think.

In some aspects yes but others no.

I really need to sore my diet out and I really should probably ride a lot more. Lately it seems I can only get out during weekends and only take a ride once during the weekdays. I sorted a correct riding position out some years back, so that's good at least.