Are you in a club?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by daunce, Jun 10, 2003.

1. daunce

daunce New Member

Wondering how many people here are in cycling/running/swimming/triathlon clubs etc.

Tags:

2. Mampara

Mampara New Member

I'm in a club called Cresta Wheelers in Johannesburg, South Africa. Not the biggest or the best but certainly one of the oldest clubs in SA, going on 20 years.

3. ewep

ewep New Member

I'm member of the BarloWorld "online" club. Then I'm member of Edenvale Peddelars, but only on paper. I'm much prouder of being a BarloWorld member

4. HammerHead

HammerHead New Member

Used to be in Rio Strada, local club in my area. No more racing. These days I'm just happy to be on the bike suffering...:)

5. kneighbour

kneighbour New Member

Yes - I am in the BBTA here in Brisbane.

Without the Club I would not ride. I HATE riding alone - and if fact if there is no club ride on, I feel kind of lost. I certainly won't go for a ride.

6. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Southern Gauteng Cycling.

7. XC Racer

XC Racer New Member

Port Macquarie MTBer's, Hastings Valley MTB Riders(HVMBR), and Gordon Street Cycles XC Team.
    :)

8. mergirl101

mergirl101 New Member

BBTA - No racing - purely for fun and recreation!

9. Lazarus-g

Lazarus-g New Member

No

I still haven't been to a club meet, though I have started to join up with the guys from MTB-Wales for some social rides.

10. omega lambda

omega lambda New Member

Yep...belong to the Orange County Wheelmen. The club rides are nice; all different levels and they have a tandem group within the club. We've met some pretty nice folks in the last year.

11. Bateleur

Bateleur New Member

Yip, I have joined Speke about a year ago, but I normally do my training rides with friends that are associated with other cylcing clubs.

12. Ronnie

Ronnie New Member

Nope - no club. The clubs in my area are zooty and extremely intimidating: they advertise slow rides, but these seldom happen. For a beginner (and slower rider), there was nothing available, and so I just learnt how to enjoy my own company. (sob sob)

To be honest, as a result, probably go running more than I ride now ...

13. ajcoles

ajcoles New Member

As Groucho Marks said "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

Seriously though, I am not much of a joiner. Haven't seen the benefits of joining a club. There are a couple of great clubs im my area, I'm told. One of them has regualr Sunday morning rides that I join in on but I don't want to get into any of the politics or be obligated to some group. I just want to ride.

14. halien

halien New Member

I am not in a club yet. Used to be with Waragul CC. When I begin racing again in 2004 (why pay for a licence now if I'll be up for another $200 come Jan 1), I wil join a club. Anyone got any tips. I am in Melbourne and am thinkig about St. Kilda CC< Caufield/Carnegee or Brunswick CC.

15. trekchic

trekchic New Member

I am in middle TN, USA. I have just gotten started in this sport. I decided to train for racing from the get-go (southern term, y'all!) so joining a club was a priority of mine. The benefits are: training with a group, lots of experienced riders to help with problems, riding with the group makes you ride faster; thus increasing your average speed faster than on your own (I have increased my average 1.5 mph in less than a month.......which I think is substantial). Riding with a group keeps you accountable, too. Makes you stick with a diet and exercise plan and makes you work hard to stay competitive. If you don't ever compete, how are you going to improve?

Just my thoughts!

16. Ratface

Ratface New Member

Triathlon club here in Gothenburg Sweden - Triathlon Väst (Triathlon West). It's a great club - I'm an (older) beginner who's just done his first season, but getting to rub shoulders with some of the country's best triathletes is a great inspiration - and swim training sessions in a group are great fun!