Are you interested in cycling indoors or cycling outdoors?

littlecosmo

Jan 18, 2022
Do you like cycling indoors when winter comes? I feel like it's better to ride indoors for it's too cold outside, what do you think?
By the way, I found an international cycling E-race supported by Magene is going to kick off this Saturday. https://blog.magene.com/brand-new-i...ace-supported-by-magene-kicks-off-on-dec-3rd/
Participating teams are from China, Malaysia, and Thailand. Will you support the team or riders from your country or support the stronger team?

Attachments

• 317833309_2314566718723922_516610856349096224_n.jpg
    317833309_2314566718723922_516610856349096224_n.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 0

flan48

Oct 7, 2008
I agree! As long as there is no snow or ice on the roads, I ride outside. Of course, here in New Jersey we rarely get temperatures below 25F, and even as low as 20 I'll go out to ride.

Best regards and
Happy Holidays

Reactions: cobbwheels

cobbwheels

Dec 7, 2022
I live in the tropics so we don't have winter and what keeps me indoors is often due to high temperatures on the road. Even this December, we're still hitting 100F !! Summers will be a lot worse!!

If temperatures are ideal, I would still prefer outdoors.

If I can't get outside, indoor training is fine. My indoor sessions tend to be short sprints on a 'dumb' stationary bike with friction brakes. The cheapest possible units. They work and you get the nice smell of burnt wood of the brake pads (I use wooden brake pads) whenever I sprint.

If only moving to another country was easy, I don't mind someplace colder even if there's winter. I'd probably get a belt-drive IGH gravel or fat bike to be able to continue riding on snow-covered paths. I've done mountain hiking in <32 F temperatures so I know how it feels to push yourself in the ice cold temperatures. It's far better feeling than riding in >90F!! It's really nice to push yourself hard without sweating!

Kormak

Dec 19, 2022
I live in the tropics so we don't have winter and what keeps me indoors is often due to high temperatures on the road. Even this December, we're still hitting 100F !! Summers will be a lot worse!!

If temperatures are ideal, I would still prefer outdoors.

If I can't get outside, indoor training is fine. My indoor sessions tend to be short sprints on a 'dumb' stationary bike with friction brakes. The cheapest possible units. They work and you get the nice smell of burnt wood of the brake pads (I use wooden brake pads) whenever I sprint.

If only moving to another country was easy, I don't mind someplace colder even if there's winter. I'd probably get a belt-drive IGH gravel or fat bike to be able to continue riding on snow-covered paths. I've done mountain hiking in <32 F temperatures so I know how it feels to push yourself in the ice cold temperatures. It's far better feeling than riding in >90F!! It's really nice to push yourself hard without sweating! I'm also doing a bit of snowmobiling in winter(mostly for hunting, allows to store all the gear and .223 ammo from https://gritrsports.com/shooting/ammunition/rifle-ammo/223-ammo/ , also easy to drag game using it).
Thankfully, roads even while snowing are (usually) clean in my town, so I keep cycling pretty much entire winter. Just gotta put on some extra layers and viola!
Moving never going to get easy I feel like, maybe if you have some sort of stable remote job, otherwise it's pretty rough.

Reactions: cobbwheels

Fourlegsgood2wheelsbad

Jul 27, 2022
Went road biking on my only route out of town ,a rural road that climbs steeply and winds some miles before it heads out of the city limit.
Found many the turns in the climb , well in the shade and frozen over. Heavy sand all over the road. We don't use salt here. Going to be gravel in those turns for a while (Spring?). Really slow on way back down. Going to be trail rides on MTB or stay in the flats on road bike for a while.

I'm fixing to get some rollers like the tacx set I had when I was young. Likely a conical tapered roller set , perhaps the one with the "rocking-horse" feet. Not interested in a stationary , remove rear wheel flywheel type interactive ect trainer . Just good old rollers. Worked then , I expect to work now. Still going on trail rides , which I have to drive too.