Are YOU Riding Kysyrium Equipes? Talk to me, baby

AmpedCycle

Dec 29, 2004
Forget that I called you "baby" and let me know how you like these wheels. They're coming stock on a new tarmac expert I'm buying in a month and I've never heard any reviews about them. I've had lots of wheels break down (I'm a notorious spoke breaker), and right now I have some god awful monster wheels that came off a 04 Roubaix that seem to plow through everything.
Thank you!

AmpedCycle said:
Forget that I called you "baby" and let me know how you like these wheels. They're coming stock on a new tarmac expert I'm buying in a month and I've never heard any reviews about them. I've had lots of wheels break down (I'm a notorious spoke breaker), and right now I have some god awful monster wheels that came off a 04 Roubaix that seem to plow through everything.
Thank you!
Yes, I just put a set of the 2005 Equipes on my Merlin. I am using them as training wheels (no pun) rather than continue to ride my Rolf Vector Pros all the time. Nothing wrong with that but the Equipes were on sale at close out so I got them. $99 front, $130 rear. As with most Mavic wheels, they are well built and the sealed hubs are really smooth. Some out of saddle hill climbing this morning was nice and smooth and the wheels felt plenty stiff. They are not the lightest wheels out there but they also don't cost $500 for the front and $550 for the rear. My Rolfs are tubular so they are a fair amount lighter in weight.

The Mavics will be good primary wheels for your bike and if you need to, you can purchase a set of expensive wheels for specific events to accompany them. The brake face is is well machined and smooth. The yellow Mavic rim strips seem pretty good. I chose not to use the black Mavic quick release skewers because they seemed a bit heavier than the Ti pair that I had on another set of wheels, so I swapped them.

Fox Farm said:
Yes, I just put a set of the 2005 Equipes on my Merlin. I am using them as training wheels (no pun) rather than continue to ride my Rolf Vector Pros all the time. Nothing wrong with that but the Equipes were on sale at close out so I got them. $99 front, $130 rear. As with most Mavic wheels, they are well built and the sealed hubs are really smooth. Some out of saddle hill climbing this morning was nice and smooth and the wheels felt plenty stiff. They are not the lightest wheels out there but they also don't cost $500 for the front and $550 for the rear. My Rolfs are tubular so they are a fair amount lighter in weight.

The Mavics will be good primary wheels for your bike and if you need to, you can purchase a set of expensive wheels for specific events to accompany them. The brake face is is well machined and smooth. The yellow Mavic rim strips seem pretty good. I chose not to use the black Mavic quick release skewers because they seemed a bit heavier than the Ti pair that I had on another set of wheels, so I swapped them.
Whats wrong with riding one nice set of wheel all the time?

unicos said:
I suppose it depends if you can afford to replace expensive stuff, but wheels get a pounding if you're training 300 miles a weeks, so, I for one couldn't afford to update $800 wheels every year.

531Aussie said:
I suppose it depends if you can afford to replace expensive stuff, but wheels get a pounding if you're training 300 miles a weeks, so, I for one couldn't afford to update $800 wheels every year.
This topic always interest me. I personally believe that most higher end wheels are built to withstand the punishment of everyday use. I also have trouble leaving the Eurus' in the basement, when they make the bike ride soooo nice.

PeterF said:
This topic always interest me. I personally believe that most higher end wheels are built to withstand the punishment of everyday use. I also have trouble leaving the Eurus' in the basement, when they make the bike ride soooo nice.
I agree with what you are saying but there are probably more reasons to train on "training" wheels.

The main reason being they are cheaper to buy/replace/fix. There is also bit of the "train heavy race light" idea in using training wheels.

It's probably got a bit to do with me still being a "cone and balls" guy. If I had some fancy Mavic sealed hubs, I might feel differently :)

unicos said:
Nothing wrong, but my Rolfs are tubular and the tires are a bit more expensive than even good clinchers. In retrospective now, the Rolfs are faster going straight due to reduced spokes, excellent hubs, and rim profile. The Ksyrums are tighter on sharp curves and feel very stiff while climbing out of the saddle. They are not as light as the Rolfs for sure, but also considerably less money. Well, the Rolfs should have been $700 but I bought them at close out because they were tubular and Campy and the majority of the bike riding world want Shimano clinchers. I paid $300 for them new! They are excellent as are the Mavics. It is always good to have a decent alternative wheel set to use. My back up wheels were Mavic Sup Open Pros but 10 years old.

531Aussie said:
You do have a point; 300 miles a week is 15,600 miles per year. You should wear out a lot more than wheels with that kind of mileage. I would have the team car behind me so wheels wouldn’t be a problem if I rode that much. I only ride about 3-4,000 miles per year which would put about 8-10,000 miles on my wheels but they seem to be doing fine. Does that mean that my "expensive" wheels are worn out and I don’t know it? I still like riding the same wheel all the time.

Cat1RDR said:
I agree with what you are saying but there are probably more reasons to train on "training" wheels.

The main reason being they are cheaper to buy/replace/fix. There is also bit of the "train heavy race light" idea in using training wheels.
If the "train heavy race light" idea is used. Why not have a klunker heavy bike to train on and then you would really fly on the light one with the race wheels?

unicos said:
You do have a point;.
I guess I'm talking about my cone and ball hubs -- once the cup's chewed out, it's all over for them. Changing cones and the barrel doesn't seem to revive a worn hub. Maybe I should cross over and buy a set a pre-built Mavics with sealed hubs, then I can obviously just pop in new bearings