Are you sick of being hit by cars too?

Outraged of ...

Apr 6, 2007
Is anyone else out there sick of been hit or 'cut up' by cars when they've been turning right (U.K.) (left everywhere else I think).

I'm thinking of designing some sort of LED indicator thing to make it clear when I'm turning and making sure motorists have got no excuse if they crash into my back wheel.

Would anybody else be intrested in such a thing?

Why do you think motorists would pay any more attention to your custom flashy LED indicator than they do to the hand signals that you no doubt are already using?

Morotist here in the U.S. are not as bad as it may be in Europe.

I've ridden my bike in 3 states, Virigia, Maryland and Washington DC and in all 3 places I've never had a single issue with any driver.

Old Town Alexandria is the best place, being that is a historic place, cars always go slow and stop at every intersection, I do as well but not a single issue to report here.

Bob Ross said:
Why do you think motorists would pay any more attention to your custom flashy LED indicator than they do to the hand signals that you no doubt are already using?
I agree... If you meet a driver who thinks bikes are not vehicles and thinks that we should stick to riding on the pavement, no amount of hand waving or flashing indicators will work.

Just chuck softdrink unto his bonnet at the red light.

I have been run over 3 times. Once buy a city bus as I was taking my bike of the bike rack.

Outraged of ... said:
Is anyone else out there sick of been hit or 'cut up' by cars when they've been turning right (U.K.) (left everywhere else I think).

I'm thinking of designing some sort of LED indicator thing to make it clear when I'm turning and making sure motorists have got no excuse if they crash into my back wheel.

they exist

http://www.safeturn.com/whats_new.html

dougadam said:
I have been run over 3 times. Once buy a city bus as I was taking my bike of the bike rack.
I would like to hear more about these incidents (or at least the bus one...:D )

Are you sick of being hit by cars too?

These are already available in the well known argos catalogue

Ive got some indicators from Mikes Bikes, bloody amazing things, how drivers wouldnt be able to notice them i dont know.

or if i dont have them on becuase the batteries are on charge or something like thst, i use my pocket light, switch it on and use it as an indicator.

Hey PembsCycer,

How visible are they in day light? Never seen them used. Also how heavy?

What model is it exactly?

Thanks

webbhost said:
Hey PembsCycer,

How visible are they in day light? Never seen them used. Also how heavy?

What model is it exactly?

Thanks
They have reasonable visibility during daylight, very very light, about the wieght of a half full 330ML can of coke.

I aint sure of the model though, i'm heading up their today to get a few things for the bike, so i'll check for you.

- just this weekend , a car squeezed me till his wing-mirror clipped my elbow.

- made me so mad.

- chased the car down.

pistole said:
- just this weekend , a car squeezed me till his wing-mirror clipped my elbow.

- made me so mad.

- chased the car down.

Was that a wise option lol?

:D

- made the driver stop and extracted a string of apologies.

- I don't usually do this , but that driver was so blatantly pushing me off the road that I just lost it.

- sometimes if we don't take these types of drivers 'aside' and have a kind word with them , they'd think that its fine to run people off the road.

pistole said:
:D

- made the driver stop and extracted a string of apologies.

- I don't usually do this , but that driver was so blatantly pushing me off the road that I just lost it.

- sometimes if we don't take these types of drivers 'aside' and have a kind word with them , they'd think that its fine to run people off the road.

I agree, but if that had of been me, there would be some blood involved.

But every second another 'IDIOT' is born, i suppose its all very well speaking to one person, but if you really wanted to make a diffrence, you'de have to speak to about 100 000 +

Which i aint prepared to do :)

But what i am thinking of doing is putting some signs up in big capital letters saying 'CYCLIST USE ROADS TOO', catch their attention:D :D :D

Personally I've never been hit, but I've had a few near misses and a road rage incident that had me shaking in my shorts. I don't think flashy lights and blinkers are going to make any difference unless you are riding at night, in which case i wouldn't ride without them. I ride on busy city streets all the time and I get by just fine with hand signals.

I have logged more than 5000 miles this year in the greater Dallas area. Urban, suburban, and country roads. I would estimate that only 5% of these roads are of WOL design. The vast majority of our roads are four and six lane "same direction, narrow lanes". I would be hard pressed to point to country roads with lanes wider than ten feet.

I always take the lane, and I will ride "leftish" in the lane to encourage better passing decisions on two lane roads. I realized the other day, that in all those miles, I have never been right hooked. I decided this was due to the lack of WOLs. I think that when this point is taken into account, narrow right lanes are a safer design for cyclists.

mongoose123 said:
drivers here are usually atrocious, i put up with their garbage quite often.
Ive started taking number plate/details from their car now, what they are doing can cuase injury and or death. It is immature and irresponsible act.

If i am beeped at delebritaly, or sowrn at, for doing nothing wrong, then i report them. just press the police into doing something.

At the end of the day, the police are here to protect people, and a good place to start would be with the protecting of innocent cyclists!

My total driver reports so far is 31, with 6 of them being prosecuted