Are you this way? getting most out of my stuff.

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
So I did a ride up into the mountains this weekend. After the ride I noticed my back tire was showing threads. Dang it! I have 3 new tires in my stockpile but the way I am, I figured the flat short 26 mile ride with Gina on Sunday, the tire would survive another ride. Tonight I hope to get in a short 10-15 mile ride just to stretch the legs. I'll be riding in an industrial center so instead of changing the tire, I'll just finish it off, threads and all. :D

If I flat, I can cut across lots and have a short walk back, I wear MTB shoes, no biggie! Not racing so I don't see the rear tire as a hazard on a short slow ride. The front I would not do the same, safety issue imo.

But there is just something about me that I insist on finishing off a product before replacing even though I have spares. I have 2 new helmets that I have worn maybe twice but I insist on wearing the ugly dirty worn one I have had for some time. I'm the type to wear the helmet till it will not stay on my head any longer ha ha! :p

Gloves, I can have 2 new back up pair but I will wear my current gloves till they fall apart.

I am not cheap, just resourceful I guess. Heck, I can have 2 new tubes of toothpaste but I will squeeze the F* out of the one running on empty. I will cut the chamois cream tube open and scrape out the rest, I want my full 8 ounces. I will use one napkin till it falls apart.

Gina is different, wipes her mouth once or twice with a napkin then tosses it. Drives me crazy starting with 3 napkins each at a restaurant, she'll end up using 5 and I still on my first.

I just like to get all I can from what I have. Not about money, more about getting the most out of a product I think.

So tonight, I'll ride the thread tire again for a short ride THEN I will replace it with a new tire figuring I'll do a 50 miler on Saturday or another ride up the local mountain road. For now, I'll wear that mother out as much as possible. :)

While I can fully appreciate wanting to get the most out of products you buy (I'm a frugal Yankee), there's a fine line between that and being stupid and reckless. While I have in the past worn tires down to the threads, I always replaced them immediately when I noticed the wear.

Knowingly continuing to ride a worn-out tire is dangerous and just plain dumb. Don't do it!

What in the world are you thinking you're going to gain, compared to the downside of a blowout and possible crash? Additionally, you need to ride a new tire for a bit to rough up the surface, before it will provide maximum grip. Your short ride is a good opportunity to do that before your longer event.

Honestly, don't be an idiot, change the tire!

While I can fully appreciate wanting to get the most out of products you buy (I'm a frugal Yankee), there's a fine line between that and being stupid and reckless. While I have in the past worn tires down to the threads, I always replaced them immediately when I noticed the wear.

Knowingly continuing to ride a worn-out tire is dangerous and just plain dumb. Don't do it!

What in the world are you thinking you're going to gain, compared to the downside of a blowout and possible crash? Additionally, you need to ride a new tire for a bit to rough up the surface, before it will provide maximum grip. Your short ride is a good opportunity to do that before your longer event.

Honestly, don't be an idiot, change the tire!

I think you are over reacting to the situation. There are a few little threads showing. I've worn tires before over my 23 years of cycling and never have blown out a tire with a few threads showing.

Rough up the tire? So if I go do a 40-50 mile ride, you don't think the tire will get roughed up in the first 15 just as it would with a short 15 miler before a longer ride? If I was doing a race today, then yes I would have tested the tire beforehand. But another casual ride, not.

Your thoughts on this matter seem a little paranoid with fear.

Never have I blown a tire with a few threads showing.

The end result and certainly not going to blow on an easy short ride. Some people are just too paranoid.

DSCN1959.JPG

Last edited:
That tire is toast and one skid in one of the worn out areas could easily result in a blowout, especially since you're heavy and have to run relatively high pressure in your tires.

Here are a couple of additional things to think about:

With everything going on right now, do you want to take the risk of ending up wasting precious emergency room resources because you made a bad decision? And for what, so you can get a handful of extra miles out of a freakin' tire? You're being ridiculous. Don't be that guy!

Do you really want to take the risk of ending up in a hospital with COVID-19 patients?

The responsible thing for cyclists do is take extra precautions and reduce our risks when we're out riding.

I realize that you're probably going to ignore my warnings, but it seems like you need to learn the difference between "being frugal" and "false economy".

That tire is toast and one skid in one of the worn out areas could easily result in a blowout, especially since you're heavy and have to run relatively high pressure in your tires.

Here are a couple of additional things to think about:

With everything going on right now, do you want to take the risk of ending up wasting precious emergency room resources because you made a bad decision? And for what, so you can get a handful of extra miles out of a freakin' tire? You're being ridiculous. Don't be that guy!

Do you really want to take the risk of ending up in a hospital with COVID-19 patients?

The responsible thing for cyclists do is take extra precautions and reduce our risks when we're out riding.

I realize that you're probably going to ignore my warnings, but it seems like you need to learn the difference between "being frugal" and "false economy".

Again, not all of us are little worry warts. I'm not going to the hospital, I'm not going to crash, I am not going to skid doing loops around the neighborhood at 14 mph. If I need to skid at that speed, then I'm too much of an unaware cyclist and should not be on a bike in the first place.

LOL, interesting post!

As soon as I see the first sign of cords showing, or flats occurring too often, or a large cut that cut the cords I'm replacing the tire. So that picture your tire, I would have tossed a bit earlier.

I also have 2 back up pair of gloves and I also use them till the fall apart or the padding is no longer helping my hands any.

Having said that I'm also a tightwad, but safety comes first, and I don't want to patch up a tube a bunch of times just because I want to wear the tire down to the cords because then I might have to put in a new tube, so why waste money on a tube just so I can drag out an extra 200 miles or so riding? Why spend time fixing flats during those final 200 miles or so? A tube cost more money then 200 or so miles of rubber you're going to be using, and time is money so why waste the time to patch?

Bicycle tires I never spend more than $30 for a tire, I wait for sales and closeouts sales where I'll save at least 30% of the cost of a tire, if a sale is only 25% or less I don't bother buying, I wait till a bigger percentage off sale comes along, most tires I get are at least 45% off. Unless it's an emergency I won't buy anything till it goes on sale, and I will scour the internet looking for the lowest price (I use Honey but that doesn't always work), but that's anything I buy in life, no sale no buy.

And I'm a difficult negotiator with car dealers too, they hate me! Even furniture stores I always offer a lower price then even their sale prices, why? because furniture sales are a JOKE! Once you learn how much of a markup various things you buy have you begin to realize how much less you can offer someone on a particular item and the company still makes a bunch of money. Some things like bicycles you can offer a lower price but their margins are so bad as it is they won't go down a lot so it's best to wait for sales.

I'm far from being a "worry wart", I'm just smart enough to understand that any "benefit" to not changing the tire at this point is a figment of your imagination. What are you accomplishing; are you going to save .01 cents of tread wear on your new tire?

While the risks of riding the dead tire are low, they're certainly higher than if you put the new tire on. You'll probably ride it, make it back home OK, feel all smug about it and think "I showed him". Good for you. However, if something does happen, just imagine how stupid and irresponsible you'll feel...and for nothing.

Like I said, this is not a time that we should be taking unnecessary risks. It's not as if you don't have a spare tire and have somewhere that you absolutely must go. You have a new tire, but for some unfathomable reason, you don't want to change it. Does that actually make sense to you? Unreal...

Have you asked Gina what she thinks? I'll bet she'll "slap you up aside the head" (maybe just verbally) and tell you not to be ridiculous.

Have you asked Gina what she thinks? I'll bet she'll "slap you up aside the head" (maybe just verbally) and tell you not to be ridiculous.

Really? OK, some people are scared of riding on a worn tire and scared of their wives. :D

And to add to the worn tire, I have never had a flat with this tire.

Strangely, 3 on the front which usually is harder to flat. 2 goat heads in mountains and one with a piece of glass on the trail. Clear cut culprits but not one on the worn tire in the back. :cool:

If the tire had flatted more than once and was worn, I would have changed it immediately not wanting to hassle with it.

Really? OK, some people are scared of riding on a worn tire
No, they're smart enough to know better than to do it. Riding on a threadbare tire doesn't make you a tough guy, it makes you look like an wingnut. Nobody with any sense would intentionally do it unless there's a really compelling reason. You have no excuse.

and scared of their wives. :D
Don't have one, so it's not my issue. You completely missed the point, anyway.

And to add to the worn tire, I have never had a flat with this tire.
Strangely, 3 on the front which usually is harder to flat. 2 goat heads in mountains and one with a piece of glass on the trail. Clear cut culprits but not one on the worn tire in the back. :cool:
If the tire had flatted more than once and was worn, I would have changed it immediately not wanting to hassle with it.
Flats are random occurrences. It's not unusual to get more front than rear flats, as the front tire is the first one to encounter debris on the road. It actually makes complete sense.

No, they're smart enough to know better than to do it. Riding on a threadbare tire doesn't make you a tough guy, it makes you look like an wingnut. Nobody with any sense would intentionally do it unless there's a really compelling reason. You have no excuse.

So I have never had a crash on the road bike in 23 years, have you?

I think you miss the point. Nobody is saying you have to be tough to ride a worn tire on a short ride doing loops around the neighborhood. I think you're looking for something to argue about.

I have never had a crash or had a tire BLOW OUT due to worn threads. Like I said, maybe you're just a timid rider paranoid about getting hurt thinking those who don't worry about the things that scare you make them a tough guy.

You stated your opinion, maybe time for you to move on as you have no case crying to someone who has never had a problem with a few threads showing.

So I have never had a crash on the road bike in 23 years, have you?
Sure. I raced for four seasons on the road and had a half dozen crashes, only two of which were my own fault and I didn't take anyone down with me. I had a crash in '98 and broke my hip, but was back on the bike in 10 1/2 weeks. I've had more crashes off-road than I can count, fortunately with nothing more serious than cracked ribs or a mild concussion.

I have never had a crash or had a tire BLOW OUT due to worn threads. Like I said, maybe you're just a timid rider paranoid about getting hurt thinking those who don't worry about the things that scare you make them a tough guy.
So you're either really lucky or so wimpy on the bike that you never push your limits. I'm still riding decades after having had serious injuries, and you're giving me ****? Wait until you get really hurt riding, then we'll see how you react. If you're not smart enough to minimize the completely avoidable risks, you will come to grief at some point. I guess that's what it will take for you to learn.

Frankly, at this point, I don't give a damn what happens to you. You've had two more experienced riders warn you of the stupidity of your actions and you choose to ignore it. Good luck, you're going to need it.

Sure. I raced for four seasons on the road and had a half dozen crashes, only two of which were my own fault. I have a crash in '98 and broke my hip, but was back on the bike in 10 1/2 weeks. I've had more crashes off-road than I can count, fortunately nothing more serious than cracked ribs or a mild concussion.

So you're either really lucky or so wimpy on the bike that you never push your limits. I'm still riding decades after having had serious injuries, and you're giving me ****? Wait until you get really hurt riding, then we'll see how you react. If you're not smart enough to minimize the completely avoidable risks, you will come to grief at some point. I guess that's what it will take for you to learn.

Frankly, at this point, I don't give a damn what happens to you. You've had two more experienced riders warn you of the stupidity of your actions and you choose to ignore it. Good luck, you're going to need it.

Sure seems like you give a damn about me because you keep rambling on.

Oh please, another I'm a racer comment. Do you know how many racers I have handed their asses to them on silver platters? Always the wannabes who claim they are something special because they race. You don't have to race to push your limits, I've handed a whole lot of loud mouth racers on the forums, their asses on platters.

Please get lost, your bull **** is getting thick! Go do a race of something and let the pack pull you around. Talk about a wimp. I've shut a whole lot or racer mouth BS coming from racers. Never push myself, yes, have many times on mountain times events and forum ride with big mouth racers who think they are special because they wasted their money on a license.

We used to do plenty of mountain road climbs, 20 miles with 5,000 ft gain and it was always the big mouth forum racers that had a hard time. Heck, many of them didn't even complete the timed events I completed with 12,000 ft gain. After a point, the little skinny wimpy racer forum big mouths could not carry their weight. I'm guessing your the type with your nasty attitude.

Not sure how you think I started hassling you when your very first post in this thread was an obnoxious post. Of course your type is brave behind a screen so I guess that is why you insecure scaredy cat types like to mouth off. Skinny wimp you're safe behind your screen. Best staying there where you can't get hurt seeing your scared of everything else.

Ha ha, don't make me laugh!

What's the matter, did I hit a nerve and bruise your delicate ego? Do you need your mommy to pat you on the head and say "there, there, it will be OK?"

I used to think you were a pretty nice guy, but now it's clear that you're just another wannabe "tough guy" fool who can't admit that anyone knows more than you do. Like I said, good luck, you're going to need it.

What's the matter, did I hit a nerve and bruise your delicate ego? Do you need your mommy to pat you on the head and say "there, there, it will be OK?"

I used to think you were a pretty nice guy, but now it's clear that you're just another wannabe tough guy who can't admit that anyone knows more than you do. Like I said, good luck, you're going to need it.

Ha ha ass hat, I don't care what you think of me!

FTR, I have gotten hurt via MTB ride. Crashed and flipped at 30 MPH.

Did get hurt, off the bike for 2 months but unlike your wimpy ass, I'm not afraid of doing a short ride at 14 MPH on a few little threads showing.

For the record, I've read plenty of your posts and always knew you were a snobbish ass hat haha!

No, you did not hit a nerve, just that I always get a chuckle out you forum racers who thing their something special when they aren't. Just another little man hoping to prove he can fit in with the wannabe crowd.

Look at me, I'm a frightened little racer! Look at me, I'm a frightened little racer! Look at me, I'm a frightened little racer! :D:p:D:p:D

As soon as I see the first sign of cords showing, or flats occurring too often, or a large cut that cut the cords I'm replacing the tire. So that picture your tire, I would have tossed a bit earlier.

, after I had worn a rear All Condition to the cords and it finally flatted,

So is there a difference between seeing threads with no flats as in my case vs your case, riding a tire to the chords and it finally flatted? I wonder how much of your chords were showing vs mine seeing you say you would have tossed my tire a bit earlier?

I'm curious as I have read plenty of people on cycling forums claiming to have rode tires till the chord was showing.

To me, I don't know about others, a few threads starting to show through is a little different than riding it down to the chords which means the tire is practically bald with a whole lot of thread showing.

When someone says they wore a tire to the chords, this is what I imagine what they are saying.

throwing-sparks.jpg

I run my tires down like that Mr. Beanz, and never had issue with a blow out. But then again I never ride over 5mph because I'm an old Clydesdale scared *****.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I run my tires down like that Mr. Beanz, and never had issue with a blow out. But then again I never ride over 5mph because I'm an old Clydesdale scared *****.

Welcome to the club ha ha ha! :D

I will say I did test an old school Armadillo back in 05. Never showing threads but a red band, maybe protection layer. I got 5,000 miles out of it and never a flat. Threads may show a bit but when I do a more serious ride with descending, I change it ahead of time to make sure it seats properly.

I knew a dude who rolled his tire almost all the way down to the chords as I would call it. I asked him about it and he said he never blew a tire. That is why I am not worried about a few threads on an easy ride at 14 mph doing loops around the hood.

But yeah, us Clydesdale Scared ***** members do make sure the tires are good before doing 56 MPH descents. :D

Reactions: zipp2001
This site you free download graphics design relative software free download as mesh lab software free download more know