are Zipp wheels worth the money?

repro

Oct 13, 2007
Setup: Cervelo R3 or Look 595, Red Sram group.
Are Zipp wheels worth investing into for a moderate training and occasion racing, or will cheaper wheels do the same job? I mean, there are very nice wheelsets like Mavic Xyrium for about half the price of 404.....
Moderate training= 75-100Km four to five times a week. Thanks.

repro said:
Setup: Cervelo R3 or Look 595, Red Sram group.
Are Zipp wheels worth investing into for a moderate training and occasion racing, or will cheaper wheels do the same job? I mean, there are very nice wheelsets like Mavic Xyrium for about half the price of 404.....
Moderate training= 75-100Km four to five times a week. Thanks.
Sounds like money isn't a big issue, so sure why not.

I have Velocity and they seem like a nice wheel for the price but if money is no object I agree...why not? If you want bling, Campy is having a competition for fancy designs on their deep V's.

Don't Zips have their own hubs with ceramic sealed bearings or something? So you are actually getting more than the rim and spokes but a state of the art hubset as well?

Thanks for the responses,
money is always an issue. The frame- after a long long thinking and experiences with other frames I have decided to go once in a lifetime for something I REALLY like. I don't think that after this bike another bike is coming to my way any soon so I am careful trying to make right choices-I am not a very rich guy, but I love cycling :)
The group-I used to ride Campy only, but I don't like the shifters now. Shimano-the hoods are to big and the only other option was the Sram. The hoods are smaller and shifting is smooth. Wheels, well. I don't need to get flashy wheels really, but there are differences in some things. I love my aluminum bike, but after a 4 hours ride my body is beat up to pieces. I love my steel bike as well-it is very forgiving, but the energy transfer doesn't come anywhere close to the aluminum bike. So I tought that there may be some bigger differences between the carbon fiber wheelsets like Zipps and classics like Mavic, that's all. Anyway, thanks for stopping by and spending few minutes typing the answers :) Cheers.

If you're getting the R3 SL or 07 R3, go for the 606 clinchers - more durable than the tubs, i.e 404 in the front and 808 in the back. For the 595 (in black), I'd go for a set Fulcrum racing speed - less practical but they look suited to each other. There's also Bora Ultras if you change to Record.

JeremyP said:
If you're getting the R3 SL or 07 R3, go for the 606 clinchers - more durable than the tubs, i.e 404 in the front and 808 in the back. For the 595 (in black), I'd go for a set Fulcrum racing speed - less practical but they look suited to each other. There's also Bora Ultras if you change to Record.
Thanks Jeremy.
When it comes to 808 in the back, isn't it a bit too high of a rim? I mean, in a case of TT it would be fine, but for a training, aren't they a bit inpractical? Most of the time I cycle right by the lake. It is an open field and the wind is there all the time-most of the time not really strong, but it is there if you know what I mean. I will definitely check the fulcrum out.
Thanks for the reply.

repro said:
Thanks Jeremy.
When it comes to 808 in the back, isn't it a bit too high of a rim? I mean, in a case of TT it would be fine, but for a training, aren't they a bit inpractical? Most of the time I cycle right by the lake. It is an open field and the wind is there all the time-most of the time not really strong, but it is there if you know what I mean. I will definitely check the fulcrum out.
Thanks for the reply.
I agree a set of 404s would be a great setup. But at speed the 808 in the back would handle very well in cross winds. T-mobile used this setup in the tour this year for all stages except the mountain (Lightweights) and TT (HED/Zipp). I really would like to try a 1080 in the back as I'm sure it too would work well in crosswinds given that zipp test in the tunnel. Pity they're not UCI legal :D.

JeremyP said:
I agree a set of 404s would be a great setup. But at speed the 808 in the back would handle very well in cross winds. T-mobile used this setup in the tour this year for all stages except the mountain (Lightweights) and TT (HED/Zipp). I really would like to try a 1080 in the back as I'm sure it too would work well in crosswinds given that zipp test in the tunnel. Pity they're not UCI legal :D.
I have checked out the Fulcums. What a beautiful looking set of wheels! You were right, they would match the 595 perfectly. The price of them is very high, but maybe I can get some deal on Ebay or some online store. BTW, is is safe to buy this stuff on Ebay? I am not affraid of the event that I would not get the wheels....my question is if there aren't fake replicas of these wheels. I have heard that there are so many fake cervelos frames that its not funny...