area topo map

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    in relation, somewhat, to the previously posted photos, here is a crude topo map of the area with a
    few trails drawn in and labeled. http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtb/topo.jpg If only the contour
    lines were as accurate as 1 foot, it may show the terrain a little better.

    What i need is a GPS with mapping abilities and some compatible topo software so i can ride the
    trails and map them out better. but, hand drawn maps will have to suffice, considering the map scale
    is fairly small anyway.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > in relation, somewhat, to the previously posted photos, here is a crude topo map of the area with
    > a few trails drawn in and labeled. http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtb/topo.jpg If only the
    > contour lines were as accurate as 1 foot, it may show the terrain a little better.
    >
    > What i need is a GPS with mapping abilities and some compatible topo software so i can ride the
    > trails and map them out better. but, hand drawn maps will have to suffice, considering the map
    > scale is fairly small anyway.
    >
    > ~Travis

    Hey, something's wrong with that map; the largest elevation numbers are only three digits!
    --
    Slacker

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, slacker7 @sbcglobal.net says...
    > > in relation, somewhat, to the previously posted photos, here is a crude topo map of the area
    > > with a few trails drawn in and labeled. http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtb/topo.jpg If only
    > > the contour lines were as accurate as 1 foot, it may show the terrain a little better.
    > >
    > > What i need is a GPS with mapping abilities and some compatible topo software so i can ride the
    > > trails and map them out better. but, hand drawn maps will have to suffice, considering the map
    > > scale is fairly small anyway.
    > >
    > > ~Travis
    >

    > Hey, something's wrong with that map; the largest elevation numbers are only three digits!
    > --
    > Slacker

    Because i live in the foothills.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, travis57 @clothes.megalink.net says...
    > In article <[email protected]>, slacker7 @sbcglobal.net says...
    > > > in relation, somewhat, to the previously posted photos, here is a crude topo map of the area
    > > > with a few trails drawn in and labeled. http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtb/topo.jpg If only
    > > > the contour lines were as accurate as 1 foot, it may show the terrain a little better.
    > > >
    > > > What i need is a GPS with mapping abilities and some compatible topo software so i can ride
    > > > the trails and map them out better. but, hand drawn maps will have to suffice, considering the
    > > > map scale is fairly small anyway.
    > > >
    > > > ~Travis
    > >

    > > Hey, something's wrong with that map; the largest elevation numbers are only three digits!
    > > --
    > > Slacker
    > >

    > Because i live in the foothills.
    >
    > ~Travis

    Hence why all the labeled "peaks" have that little 4 letter suffix to their name.

    ~Travis
    --
    To reply by email, remove clothes.

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  5. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Technician wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, travis57 @clothes.megalink.net says...
    >> In article <[email protected]>, slacker7 @sbcglobal.net says...

    garmin and TOPO CD... fun combination. I suggest you spend your money on bike first.

    Penny

  6. Slacker wrote:

    > Hey, something's wrong with that map; the largest elevation numbers are only three digits!

    "flat landah's"

  7. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Slacker wrote:
    >
    > > Hey, something's wrong with that map; the largest elevation numbers are only three digits!
    >
    > "flat landah's"

    The only terrain i have ridden that has a "Mount" prefix is about 20 - 30 miles away. Mount Apatite
    in Auburn, ME. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.09139&lon=-70.29611 Not very high, but last i
    can remember of it (rode back in my college days), it was a damn fine ride, short but well worth it.
    i have some plans to pay a visit again (perhaps after the "new" ride is purchased, shipped, and
    built up). If i am reading this map, and comparing it to a 1 or 2 year old memory correctly, the
    trailhead is that white patch about 1" down from the mark, and 1" to the right. it is within 50
    yards of a National Guard base so i remember seeing them out hiking once in a while, though they
    stick to the walking trails (wimps).

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

  8. Technician wrote:

    > The only terrain i have ridden that has a "Mount" prefix is about 20 - 30 miles away. Mount
    > Apatite in Auburn, ME. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.09139&lon=-70.29611 Not very high,
    > but last i can remember of it (rode back in my college days), it was a damn fine ride, short but
    > well worth it. i have some plans to pay a visit again (perhaps after the "new" ride is purchased,
    > shipped, and built up). I

    It may be sooner than you think..... I've made GREAT strides as getting it "ready"

    What size was the new Thomson you just bought?

  9. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician wrote:
    >
    > > The only terrain i have ridden that has a "Mount" prefix is about 20 - 30 miles away. Mount
    > > Apatite in Auburn, ME. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.09139&lon=-70.29611 Not very high,
    > > but last i can remember of it (rode back in my college days), it was a damn fine ride, short but
    > > well worth it. i have some plans to pay a visit again (perhaps after the "new" ride is
    > > purchased, shipped, and built up). I
    >
    > It may be sooner than you think..... I've made GREAT strides as getting it "ready"
    >
    > What size was the new Thomson you just bought?

    28.6 X 410 with 3" cut off to fit the goose. Was a SP-E124.

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  10. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > in relation, somewhat, to the previously posted photos, here is a crude topo map of the area with
    > a few trails drawn in and labeled. http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtb/topo.jpg If only the
    > contour lines were as accurate as 1 foot, it may show the terrain a little better.
    >
    > What i need is a GPS with mapping abilities and some compatible topo software so i can ride the
    > trails and map them out better. but, hand drawn maps will have to suffice, considering the map
    > scale is fairly small anyway.
    >
    > ~Travis
    > --

    I have a friend who does that for a living. Cool job. He's got a plotter that fills half a room that
    will print giant maps, photos, or whatever. It's cool hardware (I set it up for him).

    I went and had a look for one of my favorite rides on that topo site and it almost looks like the
    actual trail is even on there, but I think that's really a couple of creeks. It's the blue line that
    appears to cross the peak of Central Mountain. Fun stuff.
    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=38.58818873818116&lon=-106.37798103737434&symshow=n

    Matt