Arenberg?

jgugelm

Aug 26, 2003
Well, I've finally decided to get in the game. After waiting all summer for some prices to drop, I'm about to pull the trigger. I've narrowed the search after some extensive test riding. The #1 suspect is an '03 Litespeed Arenberg, all Ultegra, Cosmos wheels for about $2100. I'm curious as to why I can't find much info. about it on the web. I recall the LS website had it for awhile but they don't list it as one of their standard models. Also, no reviews posted at roadbikereview. There are some '02 posts so I'm going off those and some endorsements from a friend.

Test rode vs. '02 Zurich, '03 Zurich, and '03 2300

LS seems to have the best 'sweetspot' Handles the downhills and chip seal as well as the Lemonds and climbs almost as well as the Trek.

My ?'s:

1. Any 'buyer beware' stories about LS, or the Arenberg in particular?

2. Does $2100 seem fair (btw, the '02 Zurich is $1600, '03 Zurich for $1700, and the 2300 for $1650)

Finally, my LBS has the '04 Zurich. It looks sweet. Kind of a working man's Tete de Course, except steel instead of Ti. Price was just a little too high though ($2399)

Thanks,

jg from CO

. The #1 suspect is an '03 Litespeed Arenberg, all Ultegra, Cosmos wheels for about $2100. I'm curious as to why I can't find much info. about it on the web.
Google search on Litespeed Arenberg shows 16 reviews on road bike reviews. Search of the Litespeed site shows Arenberg apparently discontinued in 2003(?) It is listed on their site for 2002 bikes. The Arenberg was, along with Tuscany one of the entry level all Ti bikes. When available as a bike, (early representative of the now pervasive Litespeed strategy to only sell complete bikes) it typically sold for $2200 to 3000 depending on time of yr, equipment and store. The price quoted is a good price these days as Litespeed has ramped up their pricing at a ferocious rate. The frame is well built to usual Litespeed standards with round tubing and no exotic features. It is a good buy. You won't find a new LS for less. Even Chinese ti frames will end up close to this price when fully built up. Steve

I think the arenberg is the better buy/bike. it is discontinued, but they did bring them back for a short period this year. by any knowledgeable person's account, $21oo for a new litespeed w/full ultegra is a good deal.

buy the arenberg, and here's why...
1. lifetime warranty on the frame as long as you own it
2. won't rust as will steel
3. much better ride and fatigue life as compared to aluminum
4. it is a litespeed

Thanks for the input! Went back to today to retest ride and verify I could get the cockpit on the Arenberg dialed in. The LBS guy spent a good hr. working with me and the bike fit numbers I had done earlier this summer to make sure I was good to go. End result is I left the store with the Arenberg and instructions to ride it for a couple of weeks. If something didn't work, they would swap out stems until I was completely satisfied.