Arg! Spinning?!

David_Lawton

Jul 17, 2004
I just started riding road bikes a few weeks ago and I'm having trouble keeping a high cadence (I ride a trek 1000). I start off fine, but then I always seem to be catching up to my pedals. I'm guessing at the moment it just will take hours on the bike to get in tune with it, but are there any suggestions for a smooth and even cadence? I don't have a computer for my bike yet; that's my new toy to save up for.

David_Lawton said:
I just started riding road bikes a few weeks ago and I'm having trouble keeping a high cadence (I ride a trek 1000). I start off fine, but then I always seem to be catching up to my pedals. I'm guessing at the moment it just will take hours on the bike to get in tune with it, but are there any suggestions for a smooth and even cadence? I don't have a computer for my bike yet; that's my new toy to save up for.

It is hard to assess as we do not know much about the terrain you are riding and what gear you are trying to spin. A computer can help, but is not the be all and end all. I have one, but it does not have a cadence monitor on it. More info.

David_Lawton said:
I have to agree with Larry. While I'm no expert, I've found that a higher cadence is more comfortable for me. I also ride a Trek 1000 and only have a basic computer. From my experience, it seems like you need to try a bigger gear. If you're having problems keeping up with the pedals, it's the wrong gear. I'm going to get a computer that keeps cadence but it's more for my knowledge than anything else. Find what's comfortable for you.

Saving up. Are you kidding? I got a bike computer for less than 5 dollars. If you want I can find the manufacturer for you.

David_Lawton said:

When spinning i often find i will get to a speed where then it seems my pedels float and theres no friction when i pedel unless i change to high gear. Any way to fix this?

Carrera said:
Saving up. Are you kidding? I got a bike computer for less than 5 dollars. If you want I can find the manufacturer for you.

I have always said that things are much cheaper over in England. :D

Carrera said:
5 bucks?? Heck, yeah. Let me know what manufacturer that is.

trekryder said:
5 bucks?? Heck, yeah. Let me know what manufacturer that is.

Cateye Astrale 8 can be had on e-bay for $25. Keeps cadance, speed, trip mileage, total milage, time of day, max speed, etc. Easy to set up & use.

DTMwood said:
Cateye Astrale 8 can be had on e-bay for $25. Keeps cadance, speed, trip mileage, total milage, time of day, max speed, etc. Easy to set up & use.

yeah i have that and got it for about that price, it works fine. i haven't used all that many comptuers but this one was cheap and gets it's job done.