Argh, Disc Brake problem and other stuff

Blademun

May 27, 2005
Ok I recently got a iron horse Quantum at a LBS for about 200$. It came with F&R Hayes Disc brakes, manitou 6 fork, acera R.derail, 8 speed shifter/brake pods and wheels that look like they might be double walled or at least channeled..A decent buy for 200$..or SO I thought.

First of all, the Disc brakes are rubbing, badly. Its really eating away at my wheels ability to roll. I spent last night trying to adjust them, and after loosening the brakes a bit, then turning the tires I heard it rub for a bit, then stop, then rub, suggesting the rotor is bent.. After awhile I was able to get 90% of the rubbing to stop but now the brakes arn't stopping me with any real power. ARGH..I get rid of one problem and gain a new one. Are Disc brakes always this big a pain?

Also, my front derailer was also rubbing against the chain when it was on the outer most sprocket, which is where I ususally want it. Aiside from the terrible racket that makes, I didn't want it wearing out my chain so I tryed adjusting that. No luck..maybe because its a crappy SiS front derailer?

I can't make it to a bicycle shop till tuesday, and I need to get this resolved so I can go to work without fearing for my life due to these brakes.