Argos Tent: Altitude Record Claim!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jim Ford, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    Hi.

    I've just got back from The Cairngorms and wish to register with the 'Argos
    Tent Committee', my claim for the Altitude Record - 4005 feet at the Wells
    of Dee on the Braeriach Plateau. I offer as evidence the following
    photographs:

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.ford60/wells_of_dee/wells_of_dee1.jpg
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.ford60/wells_of_dee/wells_of_dee2.jpg

    (Views looking East across An Garbh Choire to Ben Macdui. Braeriach summit on
    left.)

    When I bought the tent last year, I was sufficiently impressed by the design
    and build quality to consider using it for some serious high-level camping.
    I used my Khayam Highlander tent as a base at the Rothiemurchus Campsite at
    Coylum Bridge (highly recommended - fabulous new toilet/shower block) and
    after a few days pottering arround Rothiemurchus, set out down Glen Einich
    with the Argos tent. I don't really like the long Land-Rover track down the
    Glen - it's a weary slog, but at the head of the Glen the path climbs to a
    good 2700 feet corrie (Dhondail - NN922982), where I spent the night. The
    following day, I took the stalkers path out of the the corrie, onto the
    Braeriach Plateau, setting up camp between the Wells of Dee and the Falls of
    Dee (NN941992 4005 feet - just 250 feet below the Braeriach Summit). The
    temperature was 9 degrees C and the wind 30-40 mph gusting 50. It's a great
    site - clean water and wonderful views. I've camped there a couple of times
    before. Best of all, it's great to have the place to yourself from about 4
    in the afternoon to 10 in the morning the next day! After 2 nights at the
    Wells, I set of back to Coylum Bridge via Sron na Lairige, into the Larig
    Ghru at Lurcher's Crag and then the weary slog through the seeming endless
    Rothiemurchus pine forest.

    The Tent:
    Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
    encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well
    designed and made. The only drawback (previously mentioned on this
    forum) is the lack of cooking space in the porch.

    Regards: Jim Ford

    Tags:

  2. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Jim Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi.
    >
    > I've just got back from The Cairngorms and wish to register with the

    'Argos
    > Tent Committee', my claim for the Altitude Record - 4005 feet at the Wells
    > of Dee on the Braeriach Plateau. I offer as evidence the following
    > photographs:

    Tops my four Argos high camps

    Loch Coirre Cheap, just below Geal Charn on the Aonach Beag Ridge, 820m
    Coirre Brochain below Braeriach, 1000m
    Between Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm, 1020m
    Summit of An Socach at the west end of Loch Mullardoch, 1069m
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/other/sc.jpg

    regarsd
    Stuart
    Interactive Munro Map ... http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/munros/

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > The Tent:
    > Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
    > encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well
    > designed and made. The only drawback (previously mentioned on this
    > forum) is the lack of cooking space in the porch.

    The question is - will anybody be able to find out where Argos got these
    things from? "Pro Action" doesn't appear to have their own website or
    anything.

    'Cos the tent's no longer offered on their website, and apparently it's
    not in the new catalogue either. I grabbed one when they were twenty
    quid a while ago. Not actually used it yet, but it's there if I need it!

  4. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from David Skinner <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > The question is - will anybody be able to find out where Argos got these
    > things from? "Pro Action" doesn't appear to have their own website or
    > anything.

    They came from China. :) Pro Action could be just an Argos brand name.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 39 summits
    New - 22 (Marilyns 8, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 11)

  5. On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:18:40 +0100, Roger <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The message <[email protected]>
    >from David Skinner <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> The question is - will anybody be able to find out where Argos got these
    >> things from? "Pro Action" doesn't appear to have their own website or
    >> anything.

    >They came from China. :) Pro Action could be just an Argos brand name.

    When I bought mine couple of weeks ago, there was a slip of paper in
    the packaging that said (as far as I can recall) "Tiger Paw".
    However, when I Googled for that name, I could find nothing that
    seemed relevant.

    Norman Tulloch

  6. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

    "Jim Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The Tent:
    > Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
    > encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well
    > designed and made. The only drawback (previously mentioned on this
    > forum) is the lack of cooking space in the porch.
    >
    > Regards: Jim Ford

    Excellent photos!! This is a £15 tent folks. Fifteen pounds. Fifteen!
    Just fifteen. One and five.

    Pounds.

    Just slightly more than a CD.

    £15.

    How DO they do it?

    Marvelling regards,

    Ian.

  7. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:14:06 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just slightly more than a CD.
    >
    >£15.

    That's three times the price of the CDs on sale around here!

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  8. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Ian Dainty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Jim Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > The Tent:
    > > Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
    > > encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well
    > > designed and made. The only drawback (previously mentioned on this
    > > forum) is the lack of cooking space in the porch.
    > >
    > > Regards: Jim Ford

    > Excellent photos!! This is a £15 tent folks. Fifteen pounds. Fifteen!
    > Just fifteen. One and five.
    >
    > Pounds.
    >
    > Just slightly more than a CD.
    >
    > £15.
    >
    > How DO they do it?

    they burn some music onto a plastic disc at a cost of 2p then add £14.98
    profit!

  9. Tim Jackson

    Tim Jackson Guest

    Paul Rooney wrote on Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:17:06 +0100....
    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:14:06 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Just slightly more than a CD.
    > >
    > >£15.

    > That's three times the price of the CDs on sale around here!

    Maybe your CDs come from China too?

    --
    Tim Jackson
    [email protected]lid

  10. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:57:13 +0100, Tim Jackson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Paul Rooney wrote on Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:17:06 +0100....
    >> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:14:06 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Just slightly more than a CD.
    >> >
    >> >£15.

    >> That's three times the price of the CDs on sale around here!

    >Maybe your CDs come from China too?

    Too?

    Nah, they're all home-produced!

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  11. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

    "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > >Maybe your CDs come from China too?

    > Too?
    >
    > Nah, they're all home-produced!

    I'm appalled. You are killing the music industry you know.

    Snotty regards,

    Ian.

    ps. Isn't Shrek 2 great! Watched it last night on bootleg DVD.

  12. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

    "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > How DO they do it?

    > they burn some music onto a plastic disc at a cost of 2p then add £14.98
    > profit!

    Haha! I suppose a leetle has to go to the artist. After all Robbie
    Williams trousered £40 million on signing to EMI. That is serious
    dosh.

    Ian.

    ps Walking/Argos/GPS - there, nicely back on topic.

  13. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:14:18 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >
    >> >Maybe your CDs come from China too?

    >> Too?
    >>
    >> Nah, they're all home-produced!

    >I'm appalled. You are killing the music industry you know.
    >
    >Snotty regards,
    >
    >Ian.
    >
    >ps. Isn't Shrek 2 great! Watched it last night on bootleg DVD.

    Not yet seen it - £6 locally though!

    --

    Paul

    (Watch this space)

  14. > The Tent:
    > Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
    > encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well

    The tent can indeed stand a high wind. I've used mine in winter,
    camping by the CIC hut, where the winds speeds were very high. (not
    quite crawling, but a very low crouch was necessary) The tent took the
    winds side on, and was strained but still provided a good night, once
    the guy cord pegs had been replaced by stronger anchors.

    Also friends of mine (who I heard about the tent from) used their
    tents on a four week caving expedition to remote parts of the Balkar
    mountains in Turkey. The tents performed admirably for them as well.

    It definitely is a very good for money mountain tent, but as mentioned
    before it probably won't stand up to the worst the mountains can
    produce -- but close.

    mehmet

  15. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Ian Dainty <[email protected]> wrote
    >"Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >
    >> >Maybe your CDs come from China too?

    >> Too?
    >>
    >> Nah, they're all home-produced!

    >I'm appalled. You are killing the music industry you know.
    >
    >Snotty regards,
    >
    >Ian.
    >
    >ps. Isn't Shrek 2 great! Watched it last night on bootleg DVD.

    Watched Shrek on an American Airlines 767 last December.
    Strictly an airline movie by my standards.....
    --
    Gordon

  16. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Roger
    <[email protected]> writes
    >The message <[email protected]>
    >from David Skinner <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> The question is - will anybody be able to find out where Argos got these
    >> things from? "Pro Action" doesn't appear to have their own website or
    >> anything.

    >They came from China. :) Pro Action could be just an Argos brand name.

    There has been an NG drift! We had a get together of URFG
    uk.rec.fishing.game at Cwellyn this week end and lo and behold one Pro
    Action tent appeared.

    To be fair the owner heard about the tent in URW some time ago.
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  17. W. D. Grey