Argos Tent: Altitude Record Claim!

Jim Ford

Guest
Hi.

I've just got back from The Cairngorms and wish to register with the 'Argos
Tent Committee', my claim for the Altitude Record - 4005 feet at the Wells
of Dee on the Braeriach Plateau. I offer as evidence the following
photographs:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.ford60/wells_of_dee/wells_of_dee1.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/james.ford60/wells_of_dee/wells_of_dee2.jpg

(Views looking East across An Garbh Choire to Ben Macdui. Braeriach summit on
left.)

When I bought the tent last year, I was sufficiently impressed by the design
and build quality to consider using it for some serious high-level camping.
I used my Khayam Highlander tent as a base at the Rothiemurchus Campsite at
Coylum Bridge (highly recommended - fabulous new toilet/shower block) and
after a few days pottering arround Rothiemurchus, set out down Glen Einich
with the Argos tent. I don't really like the long Land-Rover track down the
Glen - it's a weary slog, but at the head of the Glen the path climbs to a
good 2700 feet corrie (Dhondail - NN922982), where I spent the night. The
following day, I took the stalkers path out of the the corrie, onto the
Braeriach Plateau, setting up camp between the Wells of Dee and the Falls of
Dee (NN941992 4005 feet - just 250 feet below the Braeriach Summit). The
temperature was 9 degrees C and the wind 30-40 mph gusting 50. It's a great
site - clean water and wonderful views. I've camped there a couple of times
before. Best of all, it's great to have the place to yourself from about 4
in the afternoon to 10 in the morning the next day! After 2 nights at the
Wells, I set of back to Coylum Bridge via Sron na Lairige, into the Larig
Ghru at Lurcher's Crag and then the weary slog through the seeming endless
Rothiemurchus pine forest.

The Tent:
Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well
designed and made. The only drawback (previously mentioned on this
forum) is the lack of cooking space in the porch.

Regards: Jim Ford

"Jim Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi.
>
> I've just got back from The Cairngorms and wish to register with the

'Argos
> Tent Committee', my claim for the Altitude Record - 4005 feet at the Wells
> of Dee on the Braeriach Plateau. I offer as evidence the following
> photographs:

Tops my four Argos high camps

Loch Coirre Cheap, just below Geal Charn on the Aonach Beag Ridge, 820m
Coirre Brochain below Braeriach, 1000m
Between Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm, 1020m
Summit of An Socach at the west end of Loch Mullardoch, 1069m
http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/other/sc.jpg

regarsd
Stuart
Interactive Munro Map ... http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/munros/

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> The Tent:
> Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
> encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well
> designed and made. The only drawback (previously mentioned on this
> forum) is the lack of cooking space in the porch.

The question is - will anybody be able to find out where Argos got these
things from? "Pro Action" doesn't appear to have their own website or
anything.

'Cos the tent's no longer offered on their website, and apparently it's
not in the new catalogue either. I grabbed one when they were twenty
quid a while ago. Not actually used it yet, but it's there if I need it!

The message <[email protected]>
from David Skinner <[email protected]> contains these words:

> The question is - will anybody be able to find out where Argos got these
> things from? "Pro Action" doesn't appear to have their own website or
> anything.

They came from China. :) Pro Action could be just an Argos brand name.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 39 summits
New - 22 (Marilyns 8, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 11)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:18:40 +0100, Roger <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The message <[email protected]>
>from David Skinner <[email protected]> contains these words:
>
>> The question is - will anybody be able to find out where Argos got these
>> things from? "Pro Action" doesn't appear to have their own website or
>> anything.

>They came from China. :) Pro Action could be just an Argos brand name.

When I bought mine couple of weeks ago, there was a slip of paper in
the packaging that said (as far as I can recall) "Tiger Paw".
However, when I Googled for that name, I could find nothing that
seemed relevant.

Norman Tulloch

"Jim Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> The Tent:
> Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
> encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well
> designed and made. The only drawback (previously mentioned on this
> forum) is the lack of cooking space in the porch.
>
> Regards: Jim Ford

Excellent photos!! This is a £15 tent folks. Fifteen pounds. Fifteen!
Just fifteen. One and five.

Pounds.

Just slightly more than a CD.

£15.

How DO they do it?

Marvelling regards,

Ian.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:14:06 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just slightly more than a CD.
>
>£15.

That's three times the price of the CDs on sale around here!

--

Paul

(Watch this space)

"Ian Dainty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jim Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
> > The Tent:
> > Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
> > encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well
> > designed and made. The only drawback (previously mentioned on this
> > forum) is the lack of cooking space in the porch.
> >
> > Regards: Jim Ford

> Excellent photos!! This is a £15 tent folks. Fifteen pounds. Fifteen!
> Just fifteen. One and five.
>
> Pounds.
>
> Just slightly more than a CD.
>
> £15.
>
> How DO they do it?

they burn some music onto a plastic disc at a cost of 2p then add £14.98
profit!

Paul Rooney wrote on Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:17:06 +0100....
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:14:06 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Just slightly more than a CD.
> >
> >£15.

> That's three times the price of the CDs on sale around here!

Maybe your CDs come from China too?

--
Tim Jackson
[email protected]lid

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:57:13 +0100, Tim Jackson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Paul Rooney wrote on Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:17:06 +0100....
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:14:06 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Just slightly more than a CD.
>> >
>> >£15.

>> That's three times the price of the CDs on sale around here!

>Maybe your CDs come from China too?

Too?

Nah, they're all home-produced!

--

Paul

(Watch this space)

"Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> >Maybe your CDs come from China too?

> Too?
>
> Nah, they're all home-produced!

I'm appalled. You are killing the music industry you know.

Snotty regards,

Ian.

ps. Isn't Shrek 2 great! Watched it last night on bootleg DVD.

"Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> > How DO they do it?

> they burn some music onto a plastic disc at a cost of 2p then add £14.98
> profit!

Haha! I suppose a leetle has to go to the artist. After all Robbie
Williams trousered £40 million on signing to EMI. That is serious
dosh.

Ian.

ps Walking/Argos/GPS - there, nicely back on topic.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:14:18 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>
>> >Maybe your CDs come from China too?

>> Too?
>>
>> Nah, they're all home-produced!

>I'm appalled. You are killing the music industry you know.
>
>Snotty regards,
>
>Ian.
>
>ps. Isn't Shrek 2 great! Watched it last night on bootleg DVD.

Not yet seen it - £6 locally though!

--

Paul

(Watch this space)

> The Tent:
> Performed superbly - I would feel confident in it in higher winds than I
> encountered (but not the worst the Cairngorms can produce!). It's well

The tent can indeed stand a high wind. I've used mine in winter,
camping by the CIC hut, where the winds speeds were very high. (not
quite crawling, but a very low crouch was necessary) The tent took the
winds side on, and was strained but still provided a good night, once
the guy cord pegs had been replaced by stronger anchors.

Also friends of mine (who I heard about the tent from) used their
tents on a four week caving expedition to remote parts of the Balkar
mountains in Turkey. The tents performed admirably for them as well.

It definitely is a very good for money mountain tent, but as mentioned
before it probably won't stand up to the worst the mountains can
produce -- but close.

mehmet

Ian Dainty <[email protected]> wrote
>"Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>
>> >Maybe your CDs come from China too?

>> Too?
>>
>> Nah, they're all home-produced!

>I'm appalled. You are killing the music industry you know.
>
>Snotty regards,
>
>Ian.
>
>ps. Isn't Shrek 2 great! Watched it last night on bootleg DVD.

Watched Shrek on an American Airlines 767 last December.
Strictly an airline movie by my standards.....
--
Gordon

In article <[email protected]>, Roger
<[email protected]> writes
>The message <[email protected]>
>from David Skinner <[email protected]> contains these words:
>
>> The question is - will anybody be able to find out where Argos got these
>> things from? "Pro Action" doesn't appear to have their own website or
>> anything.

>They came from China. :) Pro Action could be just an Argos brand name.

There has been an NG drift! We had a get together of URFG
uk.rec.fishing.game at Cwellyn this week end and lo and behold one Pro
Action tent appeared.

To be fair the owner heard about the tent in URW some time ago.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk