Argumentative essay about cycling

Chris52686

Aug 3, 2003
Hello, i am writing a paper about cycling for my high school senior exit project. The only problem is i cant think of something that i could argue about it, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

How about using public monies to make off-street bike paths vs. bike lanes on regular streets? You should be able to make a good case for both sides of the argument which is what I expect your teachers will be looking for.

Inexperienced and less skilled riders tend to prefer paths (as do most motorists ... don't want to deal with cyclists), serious and more skilled riders tend to prefer wide shoulders and striped bike lanes (don't have to deal with roller bladers and baby strollers).

As an aside, I live near a tunnel that has three tubes - one going each direction and one that changes with the commute direction. There are plans to make a fourth "bore" and a bunch of cycling groups are insisting on making the fourth tube bicycle accessible. This will increase the cost of the project by MILLIONS of dollars - I'd much rather see that money go to other cycling projects but there's no way to implement that idea - you either require the tunnel to have a bike path and spend the millions, or you don't get a bike path and you save the money but can't spend it elsewhere.

Not sure how in depth you need to be; but how about drugs in cycling. There are some great discussions about the ethics of drug use in sport in the phylosiphy of sport journals with some very good cases for allowing drugs in sport!!!!! Combine these with the personal accounts from cyclists autobiographies and newspaper cuttings; let the argument comense.

Or how about a 'should london (or anywhere else) hold the olympics? Some interesting points financialy (not many olympics have made a profit), local v's national interests (i.e. london v's britain), the politics (i.e. hitlers olympics), terorism (i.e. the bomb at atlanta or the munich disaster), sexism, racism, coruption in the olympics, will athens be built in time, drugs, fixing in sports like gymnastics, amature or professional competition, etc. etc. Sure you'll have more than a few pages to work on there and there are some great books on almost all of the topics above.

yeah i was considering to do it about drugs in cycling but couldnt find enough information, it needs to be 6-10 pages long

I have considered doing how an ironman triathlon is the toughest sporting event today, anyone know what i could compare it too?thanks for all the replies

Originally posted by Chris52686
yeah i was considering to do it about drugs in cycling but couldnt find enough information, it needs to be 6-10 pages long

Next year, when you are in college, (I'm assuming but stick with me) they are going to ask you to pump out 10 pages on topics that you couldn't care less about. You are just not thinking hard enough. This is a subject you get to pick and therefore one that interests you so 10 pages will be easy once you get going.

There is so much information on the web on that topic that you should have a hard time narrowing it down to only 10 pages.

Do some reading and researching and have fun with it. Keep in mind that although you may be focusing on cycling, you can cross reference to drug useage in other sports as well. You can talk about steriod use in weightlifting and track and field. Bring up Ben Johnson's loosing the gold medal in the 100 meters.

Wow, I wish I had the web when I was in high school. I actually had to drive 20 miles to the local college library to do research for my senior paper.

Originally posted by Chris52686

I have considered doing how an ironman triathlon is the toughest sporting event today, anyone know what i could compare it too?thanks for all the replies
Check out the arguements FOR drugs in sport; these are very interesting and very good. Your library should be able to help you search news paper articles on the net for drugs in sport, there are loads of cycling biographies that describe drug use in first person, you may enven find essays on drugs in sport on the web already!!!!!! So much info your brain will bleed!!!!!

You could compare the 'IMT' to Football (UK or American versions) to see if they justify their wages when compared to the physical difficulty of the 'IMT' (although don't think this would make a very good 10 pages).

Hello, i am writing a paper about cycling for my high school senior exit project. The only problem is i cant think of something that i could argue about it, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,thanks.
Bicycle helmet use tends to be a controversial issue. Some swear by them and others say they don't do a thing. Children under a certain age must wear them, by law in most if not all, states. Government wants all cyclists to wear them but most of us don't want more government in our lives.

The OP is probably now married with children and a mortgage (maybe divorced) and wishing the hardest thing in his life was an essay.
Probably could do a peice on nervous disorders and alcoholism now. :)

The OP is probably now married with children and a mortgage (maybe divorced) and wishing the hardest thing in his life was an essay.
Probably could do a peice on nervous disorders and alcoholism now. :)

:D:D:D Yeah 16 years later! :p

Hey there! Safety is paramount in cycling. Wearing a helmet is crucial to protect yourself from unexpected accidents. Stay safe out there!