Argus 02 - Aftermath

Guys, think about this, 55year old John Moss did a 2h56 & Martin Retief did a 2h59 in this years argus. It seems there is still a couple of years left for us to do that sub 3.

Guys, think about this, 55year old John Moss did a 2h56 & Martin Retief did a 2h59 in this years argus. It seems there is still a couple of years left for us to do that sub 3.
I will not rest until I have 10 Argus' and atleast a sub 3:30 under my belt.

6 more to go.

See the thing here is that these guys are probably retired. Therefore they have much more time at home. This means one thing.... More training time. ;D

Na really that ain't bad riding. We have a guy in our club in his 50's and he also rides up there with our better riders.

VO2. Hey, you've been AWOL past two weeks or am I missing some postings? ;) Last I heard you were leaving for the Argus and nothing since! ??? Where've you been, on holiday or hospital? ;D How did the Argus go? :eek: We've had report backs from everyone else, we were worried you might have been still out there! ;D ;D ;D

Howsit Old Timer! Hehe, I took a two week break in the Knysna forests after the Argus and was hoping that I could slip back into the forum without anyone noticing and asking me about THAT race! Boy, did I have a hard time getting to the line! I can now safely say that I have had a near-death experience! ;D
It all started off well. I stuck to my group, sitting not far from the front and having a good ride. By the time we reached the top of Smitswinkel, alot of the guys had fallen off the bunch, but I was ahead of my predicted split time by 5 minutes!
Round about Ocean View (the part before Ou Kaapse with the lake on the left hand side) I started feeling 'heavy'. I knew OKW was just ahead, so I eased off, hoping to recover before the climbing started. I didn't, and by the time I reached the top of OKW, my race was over. I was dehydrated, shaking like a leaf.
One thing I have found is that the weaker I become, the less I feel like drinking. A trap I fortunately didn't fall into this time.
Well, the ride/walk up Wineburg and Hospital Hill are just vague memories. How I got to the end remains a mystery.
I crossed the line in 4hrs18, almost 30 minutes worse than my previous time. The walk from the finish line to the bike park was hell. I haven't felt that nauseas since my 21st birthday!
Some how I'm not that dissapointed. Fine, it's a terrible time, and I feel that I deserved a better time since I put in a lot of hard training and prep for the Argus, but NOTHING could of prepared us for that heat!

To everyone that participated, whether you finished or not: Congrats!
The best thing about it is that we can hopefuly return next year and all take massive chunks out of our times.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. I was on live TV! The camera crew rode alongside me on their motorbike and asked me how I was feeling etc. etc.
When I got home, I watched the hi-lights, only to find myself TWICE on the telly! Golden rule: If you can't cycle like a champ, at least look like one! ;D

VO2, what group did you ride in ? The camera crew rode along side me through a bit of Kalk Bay (bit before Fishhoek) but did not interview me, I was however on TV at the start (according to friends).

B.T.W. does anyone have the highlights package on tape, I forgot that it was on and missed it.

I started in N group. The camera guys caught me round about Kalkbay.

ouzo, check out your pm's.

VO2, did you do some mountain biking while in the Knysna forest. That is one of my favorite places and the trails through the forest are beautiful. Sorry to hear about the problems during the Argus.

Sugarman, I opted to stay on the road and cycled between Knysna and George, as I didn't have a MTB there (there were bikes for hire).
I must admit that cycling around the area is awesome. I really enjoyed the early morning rides up those hills just outside Knysna town, with the early morning sunrise warming my face. How come hills always seem easier when you're not racing? The road between Knysna and Sedgefield is hilly enough for cars to gear down to 3rd, but somehow I rode up there asif it was flat. Weird.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. I was on live TV! The camera crew rode alongside me on their motorbike and asked me how I was feeling etc. etc.
When I got home, I watched the hi-lights, only to find myself TWICE on the telly! Golden rule: If you can't cycle like a champ, at least look like one! ;D
Haa haa.... Were you on the Highlights they showed on TV on that 1.5 hour special? Must have a look again. What kit were you wearing? I'll look out for you. I have it taped but the quality is **** on my copy. Will try find a better one.

Ouch glad to see that my 23 minute slower than last year was not only mine to suffer. Funny thing is I felt about the same as you till the bottom of OKW then I got lead weights attached to the back of the bike going up OKW. But after 4 stops to drink I was fine and virtually TT'ed to the finish from top OKW. OK so I struggled up the odd hill or 2 after OKW but I must have dropped about 10 minuts of what my average at the top of OKW would have suggested my finish time would have been.

Yep, I'm on those hi-lites. There's an old dude ringing a bell, and directly after that, there's me!
Yellow Mercatone Uno jersey and navy blu shorts.

VO2 - Amazing... I thought that that was a friend of mine and I had gone over it a few times to make sure it wasn't him. Well I was still a bit unsure. I wasn't sure where it was on the tape but it jumped out when I played it back. The old guy was sitting with one of them hooter things then you did the thumbs up as you rode past in the next shot. So that was you huh. Funny how I was just a few days ago going over that particular shot trying to figure out if it was someone else.

To anyone who forgot or didn't see the highlights package of the Argus, check out MNet on 31 March at 13H00 or SS1 on DSTV. They'rs re-broadcasting it.

To anyone who forgot or didn't see the highlights package of the Argus, check out MNet on 31 March at 13H00 or SS1 on DSTV.  They'rs re-broadcasting it.
cool, VO2, I wont be sending you that tape then.

VO2 - Amazing... I thought that that was a friend of mine and I had gone over it a few times to make sure it wasn't him. Well I was still a bit unsure. I wasn't sure where it was on the tape but it jumped out when I played it back. The old guy was sitting with one of them hooter things then you did the thumbs up as you rode past in the next shot. So that was you huh. Funny how I was just a few days ago going over that particular shot trying to figure out if it was someone else.

hehe..I'm a good looking dude, eh? ;D ;D :D

Well......

I looked at them 3 cheering babes with the red hotpants more. Not to mention the poor young lady who had a puncture and had no pump. She was complaining about there been no chivalry in men as no-one offered a pump, a "Pomp" yes but no pump. Damn I wish I was there to stop for her she was not too shabby and I would have Pomped her.... um,.. wheels for her.

yep, those Energade girls were mighty fine!
Whenever I pass a bunch of good looking ladies, I always pretend not to be battling. The male ego is a weird thing...

Haa haa, true true....

I flew up OKW and the last few hills last year and they really get into the cheering as I was passing everyone. That was cool. But this year with the crawl up OKW I could get a good look at some of them and had a few giving some good encouragement on the way up....... That was cool. One year I will have to stop and dance with em.... LOL. ;D