Argus Cycle Tour - General Discussion

Hi Acid, welcome back!
Sad to hear you not doing the Argus. Next year, eh?
Check-out your private messages ;)

:) Hi All

Roadster - how long have you been cycling? I know that sometimes it's not the length of time we've been cycling, but how we go about it (training smarter, not harder) but it will still be of interest. You mention the old route, so I gather you've done Argus a couple of times? I've only done it last year, and still found it very scenic! ;D

VO2 - I agree with you. I also found the last 15km tough, heading back to the FINISH! Ou Kaapse Weg was bearable, but just longer than I expected... my engine was overheating seriously!!! ;D Also, the downhill after Ou Kaapse Weg was AWESOME!!! I was very naughty, in that there were marshalls and posters saying "SLOW DOWN" and I thought to myself: "I've just been climbing and braving 7km of UPHILL, and now you want me to slow down when I can cruise down". Hoooooboy, did I zzzzzzzzzoooommmmm downhill!

John - your description of your downhill, although very frightening, sounds funny the way you put it ;)
You're right, there was a rider killed at that downhill, someone who I did not know, but because it was my first Argus, and I felt I could relate to him, I kept the article in the newspaper that told us who he was. His name was Sergio de Sousa, he was from Durban and he was approx. 26 (if memory serves me right). I can check this at home in file.

Acid - you said the magic words - what was that about a Lance Armstrong video??? ;) ok ok, I know it's between you and VO2. I'll leave you to it. ;D

VO2 - you asked above what times we were all hoping for in the Argus 2002. Well, I'm aiming to break 4, anything below that, will make me a very happy chap-e-lina ;)

Elsa, 3:30 for the 94.7 sets you up for a sub4 Argus. You'll make it. ;)

;D Hopefully seeing is believing! i.e. I see your message, and I believe it! ;D

I'll do my best to make sure it does happen! Just spent lunch time cleaning my bike. Dedication or what? ;)

Anyone use their lunch time today to sneak in a ride? :)

stay cool 8)

There is no shower where I work, so lunch-time training is out of the question. Morning and late afternoon training for me.

ditto, no showers at our work either :'(
so only after-work training for me too!

Unless a new invention comes along, where we have something better than a portable shower (i.e. a can of deodorant), any cyclists out there, who are inventors? :-*

Hi Elsa,
In answer to your question, I'm cycling now for approx. 3 years. Started in Dec. 1998 and 2002 will be my fourth Argus. My hubbie got me hooked, and he's very serious about his cycling (did 2:58 in last year's Argus). Don't know about the "training smarter" part, but I always try to push myself over the limit.

Would love to cycle to work. We recently moved offices and we insisted on showers being installed. Now we have the showers, but the traffic is a killer. Will definately work something out.

:) Hi Roadster!

I hope to be achieving what you are, when I get to my fourth Argus too! It's great to hear you're also so motivated with the cycling bug! My brother is on par with your hubby, so we all have someone who gets us started ;D

To everyone: The seeding for Argus is available now on the cyclelab website! Check it out.

AMAZING... the first guys go off at 6:15, and at 10:16 there are still people starting!!! WOW... gives you an idea of the enormous participation at this event! :)

Seeded N - 07:35.
Last year I started OA - 9:45!
looks like it's my turn to catch you :D

starting group Q - 7:40, thats 5 mintues to make up, watch your tail. hehehehe.

I'm gonna make this sign and wear it on my number or behind my seat.

ouzo.jpg

looks like it's my turn to catch you :D

starting group Q - 7:40, thats 5 mintues to make up, watch your tail. hehehehe.

Whoa, you're gonna have to be out of the saddle for most of the race to make up those 5 minutes! ;D

I'm gonna make this sign and wear it on my number or behind my seat.

ouzo.jpg

Hehe..I'll see if I can organise some sort of sticker to put on the back of my helmet.

Whoa, you're gonna have to be out of the saddle for most of the race to make up those 5 minutes! ;D
I'll have to stay out of the saddle anyhow. I've got an ingrown hair right where my thigh meet my groin area but quite low down near to where the saddle sits. It has developed into a huge ZIT. I'll spare the rest of the details, but lets just say it blummin eina.

OUZA. Yes, I now about those!;D Real eina!:'( Nothing much you can do except try to ignore the pain and wait for it to go away! Used Dettol cream on mine. Don't think it helped much.

OUZA. Yes, I now about those!;D Real eina!:'( Nothing much you can do except try to ignore the pain and wait for it to go away! Used Dettol cream on mine. Don't think it helped much.
Luckily for me the girlfreind loves to play nurse and is always sorting out the ingrowns on my legs, so she was not put off by 'fixing' this one. She got all the gunk out and cleaned with dettol and then I put Ingro Go on. Will keep treating until it's gone, but it's putting me behind schedule on my training.

Hey, that's REAL dedication! ;D Way beyond the call of duty! ::) Count me out!

I cannot seem to access the site to check my seeding!!! Message - access denied!! :mad: I wonder if the race organisers will be able to help me if I phone them??