Argus Cycle Tour - General Discussion

Thats strange. I've just checked mine again and it seems fine?

I cannot seem to access the site to check my seeding!!!  Message - access denied!! :mad: I wonder if the race organisers will be able to help me if I phone them??

Roadster: Seeded I - start time 07:10 ;D

Me again. Phoned the Argus organisers, they're very friendly and helpful. I'm seeded in I and my hubby in B. Will also stick my name on my back, so if any of you pass me from behind, you can give me an extra push towards the end!!! ;D ;D

Got my seeding. DD Start time 08:41. I won't need a sign as all you people will be having a cold one while I'm still on the road! :'( I'll make up for it later! ;)

Old Timer, maybe you should think about a name tag. We might just see each other at the start or at the finish afterwards.

Hi Guys

Well I've been part of this board for a while but this rates as my first post. I was wondering if any of you guys had an idea about doing a double Argus... Twice on the day :). Because of the huge time difference between front and last groups it should be possible to join up with the last groups to do a social round. I'm not sure how social 220km is but hey, its a challenge ;D. So my question is firstly is this legal or am I likely to get disqualified :(. Secondly, where is the best place to link in on the second time round since you no longer have a start card. Thirdly, do you go through the finish pens second time around or take some other detour? Finally does anyone else want to join me in this?

PLS, I'm sure if it were legal, the organisers would of mentioned it somewhere or somehow on their website.
I don't want to advocate your intentions (which I believe is good), and land the Cyclingforums website in trouble with the organisers of the Argus. So please bear with us, mate.
I think the organisers would probably not allow you to ride the route again for your own safety sake. You will probably have to prove to them that you're an Elite cyclist of sort and capable of a second run. (Although I'm pretty sure you are capable anyway, or you wouldn’t even consider it, right?)
On the other hand, I think it could be alot of fun riding a social Argus for a change.
I say, if you want to go about it the right way, get hold of them and tell them about your mission. They might just give you the green light. If you do decide to contact them, give us a shout. There might just be a bigger 'Double Argus' bunch than you think. ;)

PLS - I agree with VO2. Give the Argus Organisers a call :

Email - [email protected]
Telephone: 083-910-6551
Fax: (021) 685-6676

I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem... after all, HSBC did it after 94.7 last year, and Paul Selby has done it for Comrades, etc. although they did it for a "cause".

As VO2 said, let the forum know what you find out, as there might be more people who would consider your idea! Good Luck!

PLS, I'm sure if it were legal, the organisers would of mentioned it somewhere or somehow on their website.
I don't want to advocate your intentions (which I believe is good), and land the Cyclingforums website in trouble with the organisers of the Argus. So please bear with us, mate.
I think the organisers would probably not allow you to ride the route again for your own safety sake. You will probably have to prove to them that you're an Elite cyclist of sort and capable of a second run. (Although I'm pretty sure you are capable anyway, or you wouldn’t even consider it, right?)
On the other hand, I think it could be alot of fun riding a social Argus for a change.
I say, if you want to go about it the right way, get hold of them and tell them about your mission. They might just give you the green light. If you do decide to contact them, give us a shout. There might just be a bigger 'Double Argus' bunch than you think. ;)
VO2 I dont think they'd have a problem with it. If you are riding for a social ride the second time, and are not worried about being timed they cant stop you. Plus it's public roads, they cant stop you riding on them.

The pro's in the 94.7 finished their race and then did it again for charity, I dont see whats stopping anyone (except the energy) from doing this.

Run it by the organisers, perhaps they can make a media thing of it and generate some extra income for the Rotary Club.

Doug Ryder did the Argus again after winning laste year. As I came in toward thye finish he and a team mate came past me dressed in Superman suits as far as I remember. At that stage though the last batch of riders had gone off and they were riding to catch them on the blue route. If you want to do the double Argus thing (Which I think is a good idea by the way) then you're going to have to do a fairly quick turnaround after your first finish otherwise your ride won't be that social.

Have fun and go for it..... brilliant idea ;)

Hi PLS, Welcome to the BB. ;) In what group do you start? It must be quite early if you want to do the Argus a second time.

I'm pretty sure many cyclists have done this before. To be honest, I'd even consider it myself if there's a nice big bunch to go along. The problem is that you'll have to join somewhere along the route the second time around if you're not a 3hr or sub-3 cyclist. If you're a 3hr rider, the latest you can leave is with the G-bunch, at 7:00. That gives you 3hrs to do the route first time around and then 15 minutes to get back to the starting pen to join the last group to leave, the OK-bunch, which sets off at 10:16.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the really quick response. I appreciate it :) I will give the guys at the cycletour office a buzz and clear things through them and then let you know if it's legal or not. I start in E group (6:50) which means if I do a 3:20 or there abouts I shouldn't have to chase to hard to hall in the last group. Last year was 3:13 out of L so it should be possible. :p

Double trouble is no trouble with the organizes!!!. So to all who are thinking to do the Argus twice... the light is green from the admin office.

Excellent! Great news! You have a good starting time, PLS, so you'll be able to join the O groups with ease. Let's see if there are any volunteerns to join in The Double Argus Cycle Tour! ;D

Hey everyone...haven't posted for a long time...stupid internet servers!!!

The double argus sounds pretty cool...but I have some considerations:

1) For the guys (and girls) : I would be rather cautious about "numbness" if you know what I mean.....220km is a long time to sit!!

2) Wouldn't the social ride just be a pain because of the masses of people around you? last year I rode on a substitution and started in PE group...it was a real schlep to get past the hordes of back markers

But if someone is serious about the idea I might just join...living in Cape Town makes it easy for me....don't have to ride 1400km back hom like the "Gauties"