Argus Cycle Tour - General Discussion

G

Hey to all the Gautengers doing the Argus in 2002.
Sorry to have to put this on the site (It seems a bit cheesy!).
Please is there anyone who can give a poor cyclist a lift down to CT on the weekend of the Argus ???
I've got accomodation but no way of geting there.. Flying is out of the question money wise.
Alternatively I've heard that there is a cyclist train which goes down, does anyone have info on that!!

Please consider it, I can help with driving, I bath fairly often and am a source of useless information (According to my wife anyway ::)). Please consider it..... Thanks guys!!

Maybe we can turn this thread into a general Argus discussion after some kind soul has stepped in to help me.

See ya on the road ;)

Hmm, tricky situation. What are your leave and accommodation arrangements like? You'll obviously have to find someone that's going to fall into that scope.

Hmm, tricky situation. What are your leave and accommodation arrangements like? You'll obviously have to find someone that's going to fall into that scope.
Leave and accomodation are very flexible from my side. I'm willing to fall in with anything I can get :)

Acid, I've just spoken to Spoornet (their new name is Shosholoza Meyl, whatever that means?). There are 3 trains running down to the Argus, but all are fully booked.
They have given me a number if you want to put yourself on a waiting list (for whatever it's worth?). The number is JHB 773-7550 or 779-7743.

Guys, my company has connections in SARCC (Rail commuter Coproration), let me see if I can organise something for you. I'll make a few calls and let you know.

Any further progress ouzo/Acid?

btw: anyone know when our seeding will be available for the Argus?

Nope, no luck yet from my side.... Maybe I'll just give it a miss for 2002, try again in 2003. If nothing happens soon, I;ll have a number available if you guys know anyone who needs...

I'm just going for a finish! But most important, a finish in GOOD shape! Last year I blew up after OuKaapseWeg and finished in a bad bad way!!! :(

I find that almost everyone cycles with Ou Kaapse in mind. Once they get to the top, they think its a cruise to the finish, only to get their legs ripped apart by the Blue Route, Edinburgh Drive and Hospital Bend. I bonked at Hospital Bend last year. Goh, my legs were done up there. This year, it can kiss my butt! (famous last words?) :-/

I'm just going for a finish! But most important, a finish in GOOD shape! Last year I blew up after OuKaapseWeg and finished in a bad bad way!!! :(
VO2. I agree. I felt OK even at the top of OuKaapseWeg but it hit me suddenly on that awesome DOWNHILL the other side. We forget that when we lose glycogen although the legs are the first to go it affects ALL our muscles. I lost all strength in my upper body to be able to hold myself back from the bars. Eventually I found my nose way out over the front wheel, no weight over the back so the rear brake is becoming less and less effective. Then desperately gripping the FRONT brake trying to slow down, expecting at any moment for the front to lock and send me into a endo! :eek: Most frightening time I have EVER had on a bike! (I believe a rider was killed there last year at the bottom?)
This year I have better bars and levers that are easier to
handle BEFORE I turn into an unaimed missile! Have also started upper body weight training. Real solution I think is more base endurance miles.

Did 3H33 last year and really going to try for 3H15. Training very hard and doing lots of endurance training. Does anybody know if we will ever do the old route again???

Roadster, those are pretty impressive times. 3hr15 is a serious cycle!

Hi Guys, I'm Baaaaack ;D

Just to let you know, I'm not doing the Argus this year :(
I haven't touched my road bike since 94.7 but I've been doing a lot of Mountain Biking and trail running in preparation for some Adventure Racing later this year. I've also set myself the goal of running a 4hr marathon on 1st May (whew!!)

Anyway good luck to all doing the Argus. My humble advice is to not worry about Ou Kaapse Weg.... worry about hospital bend, keep something in reserve for that little killer.
When I did Argus last year, I did it as a fun event and went out to enjoy the scenery, I ended up doing 3hr37 and loved every second of it. Keep it fun and you'll always do well...
Oh and watch out for the manhole covers, I almost saw my ------ last year on one of those.

See you on the road (I'll be the one on the pavement ;))

Oh yes,

VO2 thanks for checking on the lift opportunity for me, 'preciate it. I've still got that Lance Armstrong video if you wanna take a look.