Argus Seedings

Martinp

May 13, 2002
Ok, here we go again!

After you have looked up your Argus seeding, post it here! If you write your forum name on your race number (as some of us did for the 94,7) we might just be able to spot each other on the day if we have some idea what groups we are all in.

I am in "S" and am targetting to beat my rather poor 94,7 time of 3:53!

Mutton

Great, I got seeded into M. With only the Amashovashova and the 94.7 used to get a seeding of 31.976, I guess I can't complain.

My name will be on, so look out for me.

I'm in group R. I'm pretty stoked. My start time is 1hr25 earlier than last year (unseeded). I got sum buddies in M on a tandem.

My index was from Tour of Durban

Hi Guys

Improving my seeding times was never important to us because Tandems are deemed to be fast and we were always privileged to start up front in the social tandems. From this year onwards we are now starting with the half bikes. Whether this is good or bad I will only know after the race. I must admit I feel uncomfortable with the A and B bundles passing us on the road. The speed differential can be quite large. This year we will give the seeding races a go and improve our seeding.

We start in W at 8:10.

Keep those wheels spinning!!!!

Big H

I yam peeved!

Ended up with a B seeding after being an A rider for 3 years.

A tip to everyone who wants a good Argus seeding - don't enter any races on your mountain bike! I did the 2002 Tour of Durban on my dual suspended Giant, got a 2:40 and ended up with a B seeding for my efforts.

The dim seeding rule where you get the average of your race times is daft - if you puncture, crash, get sick, ride an MTB or decide to take it easy with your pals you get rewarded with a dodgy seeding......

I yam peeved!

Ended up with a B seeding after being an A rider for 3 years.

A tip to everyone who wants a good Argus seeding - don't enter any races on your mountain bike! I did the 2002 Tour of Durban on my dual suspended Giant, got a 2:40 and ended up with a B seeding for my efforts.

The dim seeding rule where you get the average of your race times is daft - if you puncture, crash, get sick, ride an MTB or decide to take it easy with your pals you get rewarded with a dodgy seeding......

This will be my first Argus ever, looking forward to it.
Have been seeded into R

Leon

I'll be starting in group L - 7:35 I think. This is almost an hour earlier than last year.

Hopefully this time it will not be as warm as last year and hopefully I will not be stuck with a broken wheel like last year.

Those of you flying down to Cape Town, how are you getting your bikes there?

I'm thinking of using the bike transport people (J.H. Retief subcontracted by Prism) appointed by the Argus orginisers. What I like about them is that only your bike's front wheel for transportation.

I am starting in X - 8.15 so I wont need to have my name on my back cause all you guys will be in front of me....

Even better! I'll be on the lookout for you Mampara.

Rob, you never know, you might feel like Lance on the day and pass some of us;)

Hey Jaco, gonna go down early and do some scuba diving, might help.. all the oxygen an stuff.

Originally posted by Rob Holder
I am starting in X - 8.15 so I wont need to have my name on my back cause all you guys will be in front of me....

Well - not me! I start a full hour after you at 9:17. Some of you will be finished or close to finishing before I even start. Anyway, my first Argus ON the bike rather than as a spectator, and looking forward to the sun (eish!) and the sea.

Cool Ronnie, then my name will go on. My first Argus aswell, boss was kind and gave me time off. Really looking forward to it.

I am starting in group C.. 6:40 i think.. I am a bit disappointed as I would have liked a B or even A seeding. They took my CANSA lost city seeding (16.085) but by 94.7 (16.188) were not far away eigher.

Originally posted by EPO
I am starting in group C.. 6:40 i think.. I am a bit disappointed as I would have liked a B or even A seeding. They took my CANSA lost city seeding (16.085) but by 94.7 (16.188) were not far away eigher.

When do the good riders start?

Originally posted by steve
When do the good riders start?

Cruel Question!!! ;)

We're all "good" riders in our own right!

If you mean "Elite" or professional, then I would recommend you having a quick peep at the following URL. It lists all the start groups and their times.

Why don't you come over one year and do the race? We could have a "Forum Get-to-gether."

Mutton

http://www.cycletour.co.za/default.asp?cId=5617

Originally posted by steve
Thats true, so are the good ones from group $ or group OJ ?

Steve

A good question!

The elite/professional teams start first in the a.m. in Group $. Thereafter come racing tandems, groups A, B, racing ladies and so on.

A very good rider, competing in his first Argus (and assuming he has not completed any of the recognised seeding events) could find himself in any of the "Open/Unseeded" categories including OJ.

It makes good sense therefore, for everyone to try to get seeded by doing at least one prescribed event prior to the Argus.

In my example, our good rider could come back next year, and based on this year's results, he would then be seeded. Obviously it'll be extremely difficult for him to ride to his full potential within group OJ. If he only did the Argus annually and none of the other seeding events, it could take him a couple of years to reach his true group.

Hope this makes sense.

Mutton

Originally posted by Martinp
Steve

A good question!

The elite/professional teams start first in the a.m. in Group $. Thereafter come racing tandems, groups A, B, racing ladies and so on.

A very good rider, competing in his first Argus (and assuming he has not completed any of the recognised seeding events) could find himself in any of the "Open/Unseeded" categories including OJ.

It makes good sense therefore, for everyone to try to get seeded by doing at least one prescribed event prior to the Argus.

In my example, our good rider could come back next year, and based on this year's results, he would then be seeded. Obviously it'll be extremely difficult for him to ride to his full potential within group OJ. If he only did the Argus annually and none of the other seeding events, it could take him a couple of years to reach his true group.

Hope this makes sense.

Mutton

Sounds like a pretty involved system, do you think it works pretty well?