Argus Seedings

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Martinp, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Martinp

Martinp New Member

Steve

I think for the bulk of riders the system works very well.

There will always be some errors and there will always be riders unhappy with their start groups.

This year, they have dropped the "Social Tandem" group. These riders will now start within the other groups based on their individual seedings. This has raised some complaints and it will be interesting to see how it works out.

I think first timers can also apply to be seeded if they submit documentary evidence of a result obtained over a similar distance.

The biggest problem will come when an unseeded rider achieves a faster finishing time than the first rider across the line: not very likely to happen but theoretically very possible. Timing is done by way of microchips, so accurate times are available for all riders.

The Argus has a reputation for being one of the best organised events in the country.I have yet to personally experience a hiccup in my seeds/admin and I will be doing my ninth in March 03....that's not to say that everyone has been equally impressed and I'nm sure some other "forummers" will be able provide anecdotal eveidence of monumental cock-ups!!

Mutton

2. bomber

bomber New Member

my first argus and i have a M seeding which isnt too bad considering i only did two races last year and i bonked badly at the EP Herald but the 94.7 helped a bit.. dont know what time to expect but am really excited for the race..

3. oossie

oossie New Member

Starting in M (8027), Third time round and getting "better" everytime, lets hope. First time on racer, so bit bang for OKW, Sub 4 will suit me just fine and then next year we can relax on Chapmans....

4. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

Hi all,

It's going to be hell for me but I'm going to do it anyway. I'm seeded in group Y in my 2nd Argus. Got Lazy last year when my training partner had to go for a back opperation end of last year, he had problems with his back for a long time and I used him as an excuse not to train.
    I havn't been on my bike since just after the "Vasbyt" last year April. I was entered for the Argus by my brother just before he decided to go for his back opp. and now he sold his entry :mad: (chicken). I only started practising for the Argus last ...week!
    Did a 50Km trip on Friday and managed to average of 28.3, got a long way to go in a short time but I will go to CT and try or die trying.
    I aim to improve on my time from last year (4:52) wich would not be to difficult, at least I'm starting about an hour earlier than last year so the heat shouldn't be such a killer as last year when I nearly died going up OKW.
    If there is anybody behind me look out for me I'll have "Lazy Legs" on my back as well as reaching from my sadle to the paddles! :D

5. rideasmic

rideasmic New Member

this would be my first argus. looking forward to it. think im starting in S.

6. Etn

Etn New Member

Both my seedings for 2002 and 2003 are based on my 2001 time. My seeding dropped from group D to Group F. This means that at least 500 cyclists moved in front of me because of seedings from other races.

Did this happen to anyone else ?:(

7. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

I assume most of you will be leaving for CT this and next week. I wish you all a safe and happy trip.

Good luck on your times and may the wind be from behind and FAST!!!!:D

8. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Remember to post any photos you take

9. Mampara

Mampara New Member

I will be leaving next week Wednesday 12th on a two day trip to CT. Gonna take 4 days to get back starting the 18th. I will need the holiday after all the training but can't relax too much because club champs starts the 23rd.

10. peterwright

peterwright New Member

I am starting in H this year and hoping for around 3.15. Last year was my first Argus and I started at 9.35 am and managed a 3.40. Have trained all year for this one and so am looking forward to it.
    (as much as one can look forward o 3 hours plus of pain!)