Arione

How does the Arione compare to the SI SLR Trans Am for comfort?
I find the SLR Trans Am very comfortable for anything under 3 hours, but after that the pressure does build up a bit (no numbness, just the awareness that your rear end is on a very firm surface)

Originally posted by angrydave
I think there is some history to it being called the 150, but its definitely more than that. We ride from a different start point, so we do 100 the first day, then 90 the second. Its a good deal, but there are a lot of barneys.

Like a crazy start in a race, I tell the newbs to watch the brake levers.

I hear you about the "Barneys" thing. I ride the MS 150 here in Minnesota and it's the same way. From what I understand (and I could be wrong) the Minneapolis to Duluth ride was the first MS 150 and it actually is 150 miles (roughly 75 miles each day). Other cities picked it up and kept the MS 150 name even though the rides vary in length.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
That's good to know, I thought they all had the suede on them. The shop also had a silver version with a red stripe down the middle - is this the one you're talking about?

Does anyone here buy the "wing flex" thing? In other words, has anyone here noticed the saddle actually breaking in to a shape that suits them after a couple of hundred miles or so? I haven't put enough distance on mine to tell yet.
Wow, a silver one? I know a guy who got a black one with a red stripe through team hookups, but I haven't seen a silver one. The WC edition, unlike those, is a production model; you can buy them at a number of stores. It's the one Astarloa rides, white with world-champion stripes down the middle.

Quite sharp from the sides, or when someone's riding it; appears white. When you get up close and see the rainbow spread, you've got to opt for compliments more along the lines of, "wow, funky."

Wing flex? Ya know, could be significant, could be pure marketing. There's no easy way to tell. There have been some great 3rd-party write-ups which applaud the system, but I remain skeptical. Happily, skeptical, though, because the darn thing was still the comfiest saddle I've ridden, right out of the box.

White with a rainbow in the middle? Sounds awesome, I can imagine it looking wicked on that Klein with the funky paint job you've got....but I don't think I could pull that off on my black/grey Bianchi somehow...poor bike would shrivel up and die :)

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
White with a rainbow in the middle? Sounds awesome, I can imagine it looking wicked on that Klein with the funky paint job you've got....but I don't think I could pull that off on my black/grey Bianchi somehow...poor bike would shrivel up and die :)

My riding buddy just picked up the WC edition after trying my black one, and it looks trick on his blue cannondale.

Well Here we are 200 miles later, and the only thing that didnt hurt when I was done was my butt. Seriously, it felt like a 20 miler on my last seat. Finest piece of leather ever.
The "wing flex" is fantastic, you can sit much farther back on the seat for fuller support, and still pedal the same as riding the nose. its just excellent.

Originally posted by angrydave
Well Here we are 200 miles later, and the only thing that didnt hurt when I was done was my butt. Seriously, it felt like a 20 miler on my last seat. Finest piece of leather ever.
The "wing flex" is fantastic, you can sit much farther back on the seat for fuller support, and still pedal the same as riding the nose. its just excellent.

Thanks for the update! It's an expensive saddle but it sounds like money well invested. Guess I better break-out the Visa card.

Originally posted by meehs
Thanks for the update! It's an expensive saddle but it sounds like money well invested. Guess I better break-out the Visa card.

I will write a full review with my thoughts on all parts of the saddle and post it in the equipment reviews portion, since they were nice enough to provide that section, I will link it here, and please, other users post your comments there. I'd like to hear everyones opinions on this thing.

Personally, I LOVE it.

The arione was not right for me. The shape of the rear section is just about perfect, but I still got pretty numb riding my trainer for 30 minutes. Adjusting the nose down puts too much pressure on my shoulders and arms. My preferred saddles are all made by Koobi, my latest being the PRS. I love the shape, with a center channel that goes the entire length, but hate the stiching, which rubs after 60 miles. It's also pretty heavy. That's why I tried the Arione, but it just wasn't right for me.

I've tried many saddles and never felt good on one until I tried the Arione. It absolutely felt great the very first time I rode on it, and I have nothing but fantastic things to say about it.

It's expensive, but not as much as some others. Suck it up, fork out the cash, and make your bum problems history.