Arise, Sir Bradley Wiggins

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
It just keeps getting better and better for Wiggo or should I say Sir Bradley/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-brailsford-and-storey-knighted-in-new-year-honours-list

Has any other road racer ever been knighted?
(I know Hoy has but I'm talking real cyclists here).

apparently weller refused a cbe in recognition of his body of work in recording/music. now that guy can write some songs. i remember road bikes played a big part in a style council video. can't remember which song though.

My limited knowledge of knighthood had me at Wikipedia where I discovered there are many levels of awards issued by several various orders. I learned there are different names for the levels, such as "MBE, OBE, CBE" etc, plus a host of associated titles.

So my question is now, what level of award did Sir Bradley and the others receive, and what are their full and proper titles now?

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

So my question is now, what level of award did Sir Bradley and the others receive, and what are their full and proper titles now?
Knight Rider

If he keeps winning it will kill the sport. One boring grind it out, sit on the wheel and wait for the time trial TDF after another.

I lost all respect for the dude and for Sky when they called back Froome when there was no competitive threat.

He has seen his last yellow jersey.

Originally Posted by hpearson .

If he keeps winning it will kill the sport. One boring grind it out, sit on the wheel and wait for the time trial TDF after another.

I lost all respect for the dude and for Sky when they called back Froome when there was no competitive threat.

He has seen his last yellow jersey.
kill the sport? not really. agreed it will get boring, but there is always the underdog to root for.

as for wiggins' riding style, the same was said of anquetil, who dominated the tt's and was a passably good but never great climber.

all told, wiggins' chances at more yellow jerseys depends as much on the parcours and his competition as it does on his team. last year he did not face a formidable challenge from evans et. al. and one wonders how wiggins feels tipping upwards trying to hold froome's wheel while he tries to hold contador's.

all that, of course, depends on wiggins showing up to defend his title.

Originally Posted by slovakguy .

kill the sport? not really. agreed it will get boring, but there is always the underdog to root for.

as for wiggins' riding style, the same was said of anquetil, who dominated the tt's and was a passably good but never great climber.

all told, wiggins' chances at more yellow jerseys depends as much on the parcours and his competition as it does on his team. last year he did not face a formidable challenge from evans et. al. and one wonders how wiggins feels tipping upwards trying to hold froome's wheel while he tries to hold contador's.

all that, of course, depends on wiggins showing up to defend his title.
Kill the sport, yep, overstated. I have watched every tour for the last 30 years, the last was brutal to watch.

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

My limited knowledge of knighthood had me at Wikipedia where I discovered there are many levels of awards issued by several various orders. I learned there are different names for the levels, such as "MBE, OBE, CBE" etc, plus a host of associated titles.

He will known as Sir Bradley Wiggins.
This title is known as a knighthood and you can read all about it here http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Honours/Knighthoods.aspx

As an Irish Republican these things are anathema to someone like me /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif (only joking)