Arizona

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by The Wogster, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. The Wogster

    The Wogster Guest

    My wife and I would like to visit Arizona, maybe this summer, maybe next
    (more likely next), probably around Tombstone, anybody know what the
    cycling is like around there?????

  2. Hot and rural. I don't know where you are coming from, but don't plan on
    showing up and getting 50 miles in if you are from some place cool. It's
    about 95 at 5am and get to be about 110 my 10am. There are not alot of real
    good places around Tombstone (actually, there is nothing good about
    Tombstone period). Tucson has real nice riding but is the most god-awful
    boring place in the world (sorry Tucson). Phoenix's riding not quite as
    nice as Tucson, but the city is great.

    Brandon

  3. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    The Wogster <[email protected]> writes:

    > My wife and I would like to visit Arizona, maybe this summer, maybe next
    > (more likely next), probably around Tombstone, anybody know what the
    > cycling is like around there?????

    If I was gonna do AZ, my first inclination & impulse as an inveterate
    nerd would be a pilgrimage to the Lowell Observatory at Flagstaff
    (up more northward).

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  4. "The Wogster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]
    > My wife and I would like to visit Arizona, maybe this summer, maybe next
    > (more likely next), probably around Tombstone, anybody know what the
    > cycling is like around there?????

    Watch out for goatheads. These nasty little thorns will vex your tubes with
    teenie holes. You may want to get some of those tubes with the gunk in them
    that seals small holes.

    Dave
    Noblesville, IN

  5. What Brandon Said:
    If your bike can mount more water bottle cages than at present, add
    them for Arizona. Also, switch from the 16 ounce to 22 ounce water
    bottle size if you're not already doing that, or get at least one of
    those cages that accomodate 1.5 liter bottled water bottles as
    available at 7-11s and minimarts around the US.

    Then you might want to Google for Arizona cycling clubs and e-mail them
    (or view their web pages) for suggestions about rides! Also try the
    cities you'll go to -- they or their commuter support units may mail
    you free bike route/lane/path maps.....

    Robert Leone [email protected]

  6. The Wogster <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My wife and I would like to visit Arizona, maybe this summer, maybe next
    > (more likely next), probably around Tombstone, anybody know what the
    > cycling is like around there?????

    If I were going to southern Arizona, I'd try to do it in the spring or
    fall, or even the winter. In the summer, I'd stay around Flagstaff and
    Sedona. I like it warm, not baking hot.
    The most stupendously beautiful rides in Arizona, and perhaps in the
    world, are at the Grand Canyon. North Rim is high, cool, and forested.
    Roads are all open to cars but not too heavily traveled. If you like
    getting off the paved road I have two words for you: Point Sublime.
    The western section of the South Rim Drive, roughly 10-15 miles
    westward from Grand Canyon Village, is closed to nearly all cars. Go out
    there and you share the road only with shuttle buses and other cyclists.
    The eastern section of the road, alas, is narrow and heavily traveled by
    cars and RVs.
    If you hike there's lots to do at the Canyon, and there's a ski resort
    north of Flagstaff from which you can hike up the highest mountain in the
    state (12,000'+).
    Even in Northern AZ, heed the good advice upthread about water bottles.
    You can get maps and more info at nps.gov.

    Bill

    | Conservatism makes no poetry, breathes no prayer, |
    | has no invention; it is all memory. |
    | --Ralph Waldo Emerson |

  7. We enjoy the short loop through Saguaro National Park east, near
    Tucson.

    I wouldn't plan to visit Arizona in the summer time, though, except for
    the higher elevations such as Flagstaff and Grand Canyon.

    We recently visited the GC, south side, and were frequently knocked
    around by hundreds of tourists from many different countries who
    disgorged from a huge number of tour buses that were ubiquitous. To
    me, pushing and shoving to get to the front of the viewpoint was not an
    enjoyable experience. As my wife has a bum knee, we couldn't hike to
    more remote locations.

    I would think the north side would be better.

  8. gds

    gds Guest

    The Wogster wrote:
    > My wife and I would like to visit Arizona, maybe this summer, maybe next
    > (more likely next), probably around Tombstone, anybody know what the
    > cycling is like around there?????

    OK, I actually live in southern Arizona (Tucson) and will tell you that
    the cycling is fantastic and there is pleasant cycling 12 months a
    year. Also, while folks in Feenix mostly feel that Tucson is boring
    those of us who live here love it and think of Feenix as LA East. If
    you like LA then Feenix is the place to go.

    Tombstone is a very small tourist trap town and gets old after a couple
    of hours. However,it is set in a beautiful area and is just outside the
    Dragoon Mountains. There are some very pretty rides around there but
    all of the roads I know of are two lane country roads with minimal
    shoulders. Not far from Tombstone are a number of other smallish towns,
    Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Douglas etc. and visiting them for day trips is
    interesting as they still show off part of their history as mining
    towns and much of the area also shows off well the area's history as
    part of Mexico.

    However, Tucson is only ~ one hour from Tombstone. And the riding is
    Tucson is great. Long flat areas and if you want it all of the climbing
    you can handle. There are several mountain routes on good roads with
    wide shoulders that make for great climbs and safe descents.

    Despite what some other posters are saying it is ridable at all times
    of the years. However,in summer most locals do get going at sunrise (~6
    ish) and are back out of the sun by 9. Or, they concentrate on climbing
    the higher sections of Mt Lemmon which rises to over 9000' and will be
    25 F cooler than the city below. There is a large and happy cycling
    community in Tucson and if you come you will have no problem hooking up
    with folks and getting all the beta on rides that could fill any maount
    of vacation.

    BTW, if you can swing your work/vacation schedules this area has
    fantstic weather this time of year. Today we woke to ~30 F but it will
    be sunny and 70 F this afternoon. So, depending on your preference you
    can pick the temp you like and ride then;-)

    If you come out drop me a ine and I'll set you up for some rides.

    Gary

  9. We were in Tucson the first week of the year. It was great, highs in
    the 70s, clear skies, some smog. We needed arm & leg warmers to start
    the day at 9 or 10, but soon the temp was ideal 65, and then warmer than
    needed for cycling, but perfect for sitting.

    Tombstone is a little tourist trap. Riding S is desolate, you can see a
    line of trees along the San Pedro River. Be sure to bring camelbaks and
    food.

    Very pretty around Patagonia where there's a lake with lots of water
    even after 90 days w/o rain. And a desolate ride to Harshaw - one
    deserted house but an active 50-100 grave cemetary . Took a nice ride
    to Pena Blanca Lake just N of Nogales.

    You can find history at missions (San Xavier & Tumacacori) and museums
    at UA and the city.

    In Tucson Picture Rocks, Gates Pass, Saguare E & W, Sabino Canyon, &
    Agua Caliente park are all pretty destinations.

    Check out Tucson Bicycles & GABA Tucson for local rides on the weekends
    and some weekdays. We did the std Sun GABA-go ride to Pistol Hill.

    Watch out for the cracks when you go over cattle guards!

    The Wogster wrote:

    > My wife and I would like to visit Arizona, maybe this summer, maybe
    > next (more likely next), probably around Tombstone, anybody know what
    > the cycling is like around there?????

  10. bikeguy11968

    bikeguy11968 Guest

    I do Tucson every year, for 10days to 2 weeks. Great pre season
    training/riding, whatever you want to call it. CIty is easy to
    navigate, has bike lanes all over the place, Mt Lemmon is downright
    close to where I stay, not ot mention the killer rides leaving form
    cross town at u a .

    I can't for the LIFE of me understand why the hell someone would want
    ot go there in the summer. As someone explained it to me...
    OverNIGHT low= 73 degrees or so.
    Sunrise-5.30am
    Sunset-7.30-8pm
    Daytime high 100 degrees......

    Take the advice. Hit them up in the late fall, winter or spring.
    January is real nice, early am close to freezing, mid 50's or better by
    10am.

  11. gds

    gds Guest

    bikeguy11968 wrote:

    > I can't for the LIFE of me understand why the hell someone would want
    > ot go there in the summer. As someone explained it to me...
    > OverNIGHT low= 73 degrees or so.
    > Sunrise-5.30am
    > Sunset-7.30-8pm
    > Daytime high 100 degrees......

    That is the common perception of folks who have never been here in the
    summer.

    But let me assure you that there are plenty of happy locals cycling all
    summer. 90 F with a humidity in the teens is much more comfortable than
    lower temps and humid condidtions. I grew up in the mid west and lived
    in the norht east for many years. Summer cycling in souther AZ is in
    better conditions than in the summer than either Chicago or NY. As
    long as you don't try to push the riding into the afternoon ;-)

    Hey , how do you think all those locals toughen up up for that Saturday
    a.m. shootout.

  12. http://wc.pima.edu/~bfiero/tucsonecology/climate/stats.htm

    TUCSON CLIMATE STATISTICS (1894-1996)

    Month Avg.