Arj posts

Fran

Guest
How many arj posts have sheddi downloaded in 'ere today? I've just been gived 145 by
news.individual.net, which may be about right - but ISTM that either traffic has been slow lately or
not everything is coming through. Last night I could've sworn I were seein' rnsrs to previously
unseen questions. Just me, or has the net really got indigestion?
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:31:44 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:

>How many arj posts have sheddi downloaded in 'ere today? I've just been gived 145 by
>news.individual.net, which may be about right - but ISTM that either traffic has been slow lately
>or not everything is coming through. Last night I could've sworn I were seein' rnsrs to previously
>unseen questions. Just me, or has the net really got indigestion?

'Oops. Wrong ng'?

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

[email protected] said...
> Just me, or has the net really got
> >indigestion?
>
> 'Oops. Wrong ng'?

Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?

IGMK
--
Fran (Red faced) If you need my email address please ask.

Fran <[email protected]> wrote
>[email protected] said...
>> Just me, or has the net really got
>> >indigestion?
>>
>> 'Oops. Wrong ng'?
>>
>Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?
>
>IGMK

Not the first time either. I don't think you can do that in Turnpike without editing the header.
--
Gordon

[email protected] said...
> Fran <[email protected]> wrote
> >[email protected] said...
> >> Just me, or has the net really got
> >>
> >> 'Oops. Wrong ng'?
> >>
> >Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?
> >
> >IGMK
>
> Not the first time either. I don't think you can do that in Turnpike without editing the header.

Gloom. I know. It's what comes of posting to one NG whilst reading another. At least my
meanderings keep some folk (not all, I admit) entertained; I'll try to behave better in future
though, honest I will.
--

Paul Rooney wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:31:44 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>How many arj posts have sheddi downloaded in 'ere today? I've just been gived 145 by
>>news.individual.net, which may be about right - but ISTM that either traffic has been slow lately
>>or not everything is coming through. Last night I could've sworn I were seein' rnsrs to previously
>>unseen questions. Just me, or has the net really got indigestion?
>>

> 'Oops. Wrong ng'?

again?

Katherine

[email protected] said...
> > 'Oops. Wrong ng'?
> >

> again?
>
> Katherine

Aye, it's getting to be a habit. Comes of doing too many things at once whilst being yelled at by
the offspring, most of whom should in any case have been in bed. That and the fact that urs and urw
are next to each other in my newsreader. Before now the position has been reversed and I've posted
walking stuff to the shed, wherein any sort of unnecessary exercise is considered anathemaic.
--

Fran wrote:

> [email protected] said...
>
>>>'Oops. Wrong ng'?
>>>

>>again?
>>
>>Katherine
>>

> Aye, it's getting to be a habit. Comes of doing too many things at once whilst being yelled at by
> the offspring, most of whom should in any case have been in bed. That and the fact that urs and
> urw are next to each other in my newsreader. Before now the position has been reversed and I've
> posted walking stuff to the shed, wherein any sort of unnecessary exercise is considered
> anathemaic.

The dangers of multi-tasking!

Katherine

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:11:24 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] said...
>> Just me, or has the net really got
>> >indigestion?
>>
>> 'Oops. Wrong ng'?
>>
>Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?

Don't you mean HOTTER!?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:25:49 +0000, Gordon <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Fran <[email protected]> wrote
>>[email protected] said...
>>> Just me, or has the net really got
>>>
>>> 'Oops. Wrong ng'?
>>>
>>Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?
>>
>>IGMK
>
>Not the first time either. I don't think you can do that in Turnpike without editing the header.

Nor Agent.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:14:15 -0800, Katherine <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Fran wrote:
>
>> [email protected] said...

>>>again?
>>>
>>>Katherine
>>>

>> Aye, it's getting to be a habit. Comes of doing too many things at once whilst being yelled at by
>> the offspring, most of whom should in any case have been in bed. That and the fact that urs and
>> urw are next to each other in my newsreader. Before now the position has been reversed and I've
>> posted walking stuff to the shed, wherein any sort of unnecessary exercise is considered
>> anathemaic.
>>

>The dangers of multi-tasking!

I thought that women were supposed to be good at that!

(Or at least better than us lot, which might not necessarily be saying much...)

Stuart Baldwin wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:14:15 -0800, Katherine <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Fran wrote:
>>

>>>[email protected] said...

>>>Aye, it's getting to be a habit. Comes of doing too many things at once whilst being yelled at by
>>>the offspring, most of whom should in any case have been in bed. That and the fact that urs and
>>>urw are next to each other in my newsreader. Before now the position has been reversed and I've
>>>posted walking stuff to the shed, wherein any sort of unnecessary exercise is considered
>>>anathemaic.
>>>

>>The dangers of multi-tasking!
>>

> I thought that women were supposed to be good at that!
>
> (Or at least better than us lot, which might not necessarily be saying much...)

I really don't think humans are good at it. We just think we are. Cel phone and driving a
case in point.

Katherine

[email protected] said...
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:11:24 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >[email protected] said...
> >> Just me, or has the net really got
> >>
> >> 'Oops. Wrong ng'?
> >>
> >Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?
>
> Don't you mean HOTTER!?

No. That was one bit I got right.
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:08:33 -0800, Katherine <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Stuart Baldwin wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:14:15 -0800, Katherine <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>The dangers of multi-tasking!
>>>

>> I thought that women were supposed to be good at that!
>>
>> (Or at least better than us lot, which might not necessarily be saying much...)
>>

>I really don't think humans are good at it. We just think we are. Cel phone and driving a case
>in point.

Now a specific driving offence in the UK, although it has always been possible for drivers to be
prosecuted for careless driving.

[email protected] said...
> >I really don't think humans are good at it. We just think we are. Cel phone and driving a case
> >in point.
>
> Now a specific driving offence in the UK, although it has always been possible for drivers to be
> prosecuted for careless driving.

But... be warned:

Yesterday Charlie was driving up to Manchester so he took my little car rather than the family
minibus. Not being familiar with the hands-free kit for his mobile phone he took his eyes off the
road for about *click* as long as it took you to read *click*. He's OK, but my car's probably a write-
off. It took a split second for him to clip a parked car, which acted as a take-off ramp, which in
turn rolled my car onto its offside... The car, being a game little warrior, didn't stop even though
it was being treated so cruelly, and carried on for about 15 feet *on its side*.

This was about a mile from home; Charlie has two cuts on his right arm which were speedily dealt
with by paramedics and A&E; his thick fleece probably prevented serious damage to that arm as it
skidded along the road; he was on his own at the time. Had he not been wearing the thick fleece, or
had there been a vehicle approaching him when it happened...

Please take this as a warning: Charlie was *very* lucky. I'd hate to hear that a friend of mine
here wasn't.
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

"Fran" <[email protected]> wrote

> > 'Oops. Wrong ng'?

> Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?

A bit of sheddi lingo accidentally slipped out at work today. "I'll just go and molish some more
bubble mix" I said to be met with a few blank stares. And I only have a look now and again.

Fran <[email protected]> wrote

>But... be warned:
>
>Yesterday Charlie was driving up to Manchester so he took my little car rather than the family
>minibus. Not being familiar with the hands-free kit for his mobile phone he took his eyes off the
>road for about *click* as long as it took you to read *click*. He's OK, but my car's probably a write-
>off. It took a split second for him to clip a parked car, which acted as a take-off ramp, which in
>turn rolled my car onto its offside... The car, being a game little warrior, didn't stop even
>though it was being treated so cruelly, and carried on for about 15 feet *on its side*.
>
>This was about a mile from home; Charlie has two cuts on his right arm which were speedily dealt
>with by paramedics and A&E; his thick fleece probably prevented serious damage to that arm as it
>skidded along the road; he was on his own at the time. Had he not been wearing the thick fleece, or
>had there been a vehicle approaching him when it happened...
>
>Please take this as a warning: Charlie was *very* lucky. I'd hate to hear that a friend of mine
>here wasn't.

Glad he's ok, sorry about your car, usual comments about being a fly on your wall when he arrived
home relatively unscathed.......

I had a similar lapse of concentration 3 or 4 years ago as I approached a fast RH bend on the way
home from a Yorks Dales walk. Not the phone, but a notice in a field, and by the time my eyes
flicked back to the road the nearside wheels were in the gravel, and we were sliding into a fishtail
which wrote off the Cavalier, about 3 or 4 yards of dry-stone wall, and M****'s hairdo, which was
shaken loose around her shoulders!

I learned that 100% concentration is essential, especially as we get older.
--
Gordon

[email protected] said...
> >Please take this as a warning: Charlie was *very* lucky. I'd hate to hear that a friend of mine
> >here wasn't.
>
> Glad he's ok, sorry about your car, usual comments about being a fly on your wall when he arrived
> home relatively unscathed.......

TBH, I was so relieved that he was all right I didn't bother about the car. Well, until today that
is, when my local garage chap looked at my photos of the damage and gave vent to one of those
indrawn breaths that mean something very expensive is about to happen. He confirmed what I think I
already knew, that the car is a write-off, but I could feel the tears starting as I walked away from
him. And then of course I felt really angry with myself for shedding even the thought of a tear when
it could so easily have been Charlie I was crying for instead...

> I had a similar lapse of concentration 3 or 4 years ago as I approached a fast RH bend on the way
> home from a Yorks Dales walk. Not the phone, but a notice in a field, and by the time my eyes
> flicked back to the road the nearside wheels were in the gravel, and we were sliding into a
> fishtail which wrote off the Cavalier, about 3 or 4 yards of dry-stone wall, and M****'s hairdo,
> which was shaken loose around her shoulders!

OUCH! I hope M wasn't too upset and cross about the hairdo...

> I learned that 100% concentration is essential, especially as we get older.

I'm not even sure age is a factor. Momentary lapses in concentration are far too easily achieved by
all of us. There's no point in me being cross with Charlie about the car, because it could so easily
have happened to me in precisely the same circumstances - except that my fleece isn't as thick as
his and I'm heavier so my injuries would probably have been greater.
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

Boo <boo@spam_me_no_spam.net> wrote
>> M****
>
>Mandy ?
>
></guess Gordons' birds name>

You may get the name right, but your use of apostrophes is rubbish!
--
Gordon