Arj posts

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Fran, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Fran

    Fran Guest

    How many arj posts have sheddi downloaded in 'ere today? I've just been gived 145 by
    news.individual.net, which may be about right - but ISTM that either traffic has been slow lately or
    not everything is coming through. Last night I could've sworn I were seein' rnsrs to previously
    unseen questions. Just me, or has the net really got indigestion?
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

    Tags:

  2. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:31:44 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How many arj posts have sheddi downloaded in 'ere today? I've just been gived 145 by
    >news.individual.net, which may be about right - but ISTM that either traffic has been slow lately
    >or not everything is coming through. Last night I could've sworn I were seein' rnsrs to previously
    >unseen questions. Just me, or has the net really got indigestion?

    'Oops. Wrong ng'?

    --

    Paul

    My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

  3. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Just me, or has the net really got
    > >indigestion?
    >
    > 'Oops. Wrong ng'?

    Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?

    IGMK
    --
    Fran (Red faced) If you need my email address please ask.

  4. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Fran <[email protected]> wrote
    >[email protected] said...
    >> Just me, or has the net really got
    >> >indigestion?
    >>
    >> 'Oops. Wrong ng'?
    >>
    >Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?
    >
    >IGMK

    Not the first time either. I don't think you can do that in Turnpike without editing the header.
    --
    Gordon

  5. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Fran <[email protected]> wrote
    > >[email protected] said...
    > >> Just me, or has the net really got
    > >>
    > >> 'Oops. Wrong ng'?
    > >>
    > >Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?
    > >
    > >IGMK
    >
    > Not the first time either. I don't think you can do that in Turnpike without editing the header.

    Gloom. I know. It's what comes of posting to one NG whilst reading another. At least my
    meanderings keep some folk (not all, I admit) entertained; I'll try to behave better in future
    though, honest I will.
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  6. Katherine

    Katherine Guest

    Paul Rooney wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:31:44 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>How many arj posts have sheddi downloaded in 'ere today? I've just been gived 145 by
    >>news.individual.net, which may be about right - but ISTM that either traffic has been slow lately
    >>or not everything is coming through. Last night I could've sworn I were seein' rnsrs to previously
    >>unseen questions. Just me, or has the net really got indigestion?
    >>

    > 'Oops. Wrong ng'?

    again?

    Katherine

  7. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > > 'Oops. Wrong ng'?
    > >

    > again?
    >
    > Katherine

    Aye, it's getting to be a habit. Comes of doing too many things at once whilst being yelled at by
    the offspring, most of whom should in any case have been in bed. That and the fact that urs and urw
    are next to each other in my newsreader. Before now the position has been reversed and I've posted
    walking stuff to the shed, wherein any sort of unnecessary exercise is considered anathemaic.
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  8. Katherine

    Katherine Guest

    Fran wrote:

    > [email protected] said...
    >
    >>>'Oops. Wrong ng'?
    >>>

    >>again?
    >>
    >>Katherine
    >>

    > Aye, it's getting to be a habit. Comes of doing too many things at once whilst being yelled at by
    > the offspring, most of whom should in any case have been in bed. That and the fact that urs and
    > urw are next to each other in my newsreader. Before now the position has been reversed and I've
    > posted walking stuff to the shed, wherein any sort of unnecessary exercise is considered
    > anathemaic.

    The dangers of multi-tasking!

    Katherine

  9. On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:11:24 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] said...
    >> Just me, or has the net really got
    >> >indigestion?
    >>
    >> 'Oops. Wrong ng'?
    >>
    >Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?

    Don't you mean HOTTER!?

  10. On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:25:49 +0000, Gordon <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Fran <[email protected]> wrote
    >>[email protected] said...
    >>> Just me, or has the net really got
    >>>
    >>> 'Oops. Wrong ng'?
    >>>
    >>Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?
    >>
    >>IGMK
    >
    >Not the first time either. I don't think you can do that in Turnpike without editing the header.

    Nor Agent.

  11. On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:14:15 -0800, Katherine <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Fran wrote:
    >
    >> [email protected] said...

    >>>again?
    >>>
    >>>Katherine
    >>>

    >> Aye, it's getting to be a habit. Comes of doing too many things at once whilst being yelled at by
    >> the offspring, most of whom should in any case have been in bed. That and the fact that urs and
    >> urw are next to each other in my newsreader. Before now the position has been reversed and I've
    >> posted walking stuff to the shed, wherein any sort of unnecessary exercise is considered
    >> anathemaic.
    >>

    >The dangers of multi-tasking!

    I thought that women were supposed to be good at that!

    (Or at least better than us lot, which might not necessarily be saying much...)

  12. Katherine

    Katherine Guest

    Stuart Baldwin wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:14:15 -0800, Katherine <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Fran wrote:
    >>

    >>>[email protected] said...

    >>>Aye, it's getting to be a habit. Comes of doing too many things at once whilst being yelled at by
    >>>the offspring, most of whom should in any case have been in bed. That and the fact that urs and
    >>>urw are next to each other in my newsreader. Before now the position has been reversed and I've
    >>>posted walking stuff to the shed, wherein any sort of unnecessary exercise is considered
    >>>anathemaic.
    >>>

    >>The dangers of multi-tasking!
    >>

    > I thought that women were supposed to be good at that!
    >
    > (Or at least better than us lot, which might not necessarily be saying much...)

    I really don't think humans are good at it. We just think we are. Cel phone and driving a
    case in point.

    Katherine

  13. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:11:24 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >[email protected] said...
    > >> Just me, or has the net really got
    > >>
    > >> 'Oops. Wrong ng'?
    > >>
    > >Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?
    >
    > Don't you mean HOTTER!?

    No. That was one bit I got right.
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  14. On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:08:33 -0800, Katherine <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Stuart Baldwin wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 06:14:15 -0800, Katherine <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>The dangers of multi-tasking!
    >>>

    >> I thought that women were supposed to be good at that!
    >>
    >> (Or at least better than us lot, which might not necessarily be saying much...)
    >>

    >I really don't think humans are good at it. We just think we are. Cel phone and driving a case
    >in point.

    Now a specific driving offence in the UK, although it has always been possible for drivers to be
    prosecuted for careless driving.

  15. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > >I really don't think humans are good at it. We just think we are. Cel phone and driving a case
    > >in point.
    >
    > Now a specific driving offence in the UK, although it has always been possible for drivers to be
    > prosecuted for careless driving.

    But... be warned:

    Yesterday Charlie was driving up to Manchester so he took my little car rather than the family
    minibus. Not being familiar with the hands-free kit for his mobile phone he took his eyes off the
    road for about *click* as long as it took you to read *click*. He's OK, but my car's probably a write-
    off. It took a split second for him to clip a parked car, which acted as a take-off ramp, which in
    turn rolled my car onto its offside... The car, being a game little warrior, didn't stop even though
    it was being treated so cruelly, and carried on for about 15 feet *on its side*.

    This was about a mile from home; Charlie has two cuts on his right arm which were speedily dealt
    with by paramedics and A&E; his thick fleece probably prevented serious damage to that arm as it
    skidded along the road; he was on his own at the time. Had he not been wearing the thick fleece, or
    had there been a vehicle approaching him when it happened...

    Please take this as a warning: Charlie was *very* lucky. I'd hate to hear that a friend of mine
    here wasn't.
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  16. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    "Fran" <[email protected]> wrote

    > > 'Oops. Wrong ng'?

    > Oh HOOTER! How the h*** did that happen?

    A bit of sheddi lingo accidentally slipped out at work today. "I'll just go and molish some more
    bubble mix" I said to be met with a few blank stares. And I only have a look now and again.

  17. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Fran <[email protected]> wrote

    >But... be warned:
    >
    >Yesterday Charlie was driving up to Manchester so he took my little car rather than the family
    >minibus. Not being familiar with the hands-free kit for his mobile phone he took his eyes off the
    >road for about *click* as long as it took you to read *click*. He's OK, but my car's probably a write-
    >off. It took a split second for him to clip a parked car, which acted as a take-off ramp, which in
    >turn rolled my car onto its offside... The car, being a game little warrior, didn't stop even
    >though it was being treated so cruelly, and carried on for about 15 feet *on its side*.
    >
    >This was about a mile from home; Charlie has two cuts on his right arm which were speedily dealt
    >with by paramedics and A&E; his thick fleece probably prevented serious damage to that arm as it
    >skidded along the road; he was on his own at the time. Had he not been wearing the thick fleece, or
    >had there been a vehicle approaching him when it happened...
    >
    >Please take this as a warning: Charlie was *very* lucky. I'd hate to hear that a friend of mine
    >here wasn't.

    Glad he's ok, sorry about your car, usual comments about being a fly on your wall when he arrived
    home relatively unscathed.......

    I had a similar lapse of concentration 3 or 4 years ago as I approached a fast RH bend on the way
    home from a Yorks Dales walk. Not the phone, but a notice in a field, and by the time my eyes
    flicked back to the road the nearside wheels were in the gravel, and we were sliding into a fishtail
    which wrote off the Cavalier, about 3 or 4 yards of dry-stone wall, and M****'s hairdo, which was
    shaken loose around her shoulders!

    I learned that 100% concentration is essential, especially as we get older.
    --
    Gordon

  18. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > >Please take this as a warning: Charlie was *very* lucky. I'd hate to hear that a friend of mine
    > >here wasn't.
    >
    > Glad he's ok, sorry about your car, usual comments about being a fly on your wall when he arrived
    > home relatively unscathed.......

    TBH, I was so relieved that he was all right I didn't bother about the car. Well, until today that
    is, when my local garage chap looked at my photos of the damage and gave vent to one of those
    indrawn breaths that mean something very expensive is about to happen. He confirmed what I think I
    already knew, that the car is a write-off, but I could feel the tears starting as I walked away from
    him. And then of course I felt really angry with myself for shedding even the thought of a tear when
    it could so easily have been Charlie I was crying for instead...

    > I had a similar lapse of concentration 3 or 4 years ago as I approached a fast RH bend on the way
    > home from a Yorks Dales walk. Not the phone, but a notice in a field, and by the time my eyes
    > flicked back to the road the nearside wheels were in the gravel, and we were sliding into a
    > fishtail which wrote off the Cavalier, about 3 or 4 yards of dry-stone wall, and M****'s hairdo,
    > which was shaken loose around her shoulders!

    OUCH! I hope M wasn't too upset and cross about the hairdo...

    > I learned that 100% concentration is essential, especially as we get older.

    I'm not even sure age is a factor. Momentary lapses in concentration are far too easily achieved by
    all of us. There's no point in me being cross with Charlie about the car, because it could so easily
    have happened to me in precisely the same circumstances - except that my fleece isn't as thick as
    his and I'm heavier so my injuries would probably have been greater.
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  19. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Boo <[email protected]_me_no_spam.net> wrote
    >> M****
    >
    >Mandy ?
    >
    ></guess Gordons' birds name>

    You may get the name right, but your use of apostrophes is rubbish!
    --
    Gordon

  20. Boo

    Boo Guest