Arkansas governor completes marathon

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Running Man, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. Running Man

    Running Man Guest

    Monday, March 7, 2005 =B7 Last updated 9:10 a.m. PT

    Arkansas governor completes marathon

    By CARYN ROUSSEAU
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

    LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Pumping his arms above his head with the crowd
    cheering behind him, Gov. Mike Huckabee finished the Little Rock Marathon
    in a sprint on Sunday, nearly two years after he started a diet and
    exercise plan to lose 110 pounds.

    Huckabee has championed healthy living in public talks nationwide and media=

    interviews after losing 110 pounds from eating right and exercise. He
    invited Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack to join him in the race a few weeks ago at a
    Washington meeting.

    Arkansas' first lady Janet Huckabee walked the entire 26.2 mile circuit,
    while Iowa first lady Christie Vilsack said she walked the first seven
    miles of the course.

    As the governors and their wives met outside the Clinton Presidential
    Library on Saturday for a tour of the center, Vilsack said his state was
    following Huckabee's lead and taking a closer look at the problem of
    obesity.

    "I never felt I was going to quit," Huckabee said after the 26.2-mile race.=

    "I never hit a point where I thought I couldn't do it. I felt good all the
    way through the finish and I was kicking it at the end."

    Huckabee finished the race ahead of his new running mate - Vilsack. The
    crowd cheered as Huckabee turned the corner toward the finish line and
    started the last stretch.

    "Take a look everybody, it's Governor Huckabee," the race announcer yelled
    over the applause. "He said he was going to do it and he did."

    The clock read 4:38:59 when Huckabee crossed the finish line and hugged his=

    two sons and daughter.

    "What do you say? Is that not cool?" Huckabee said holding up his medal
    before heading over to the VIP tent for a massage and two Diet Pepsi's.

    On his way, runners yelled congratulations and asked for pictures.

    "Go Huck," one man shouted. While another told him, "Way to go, gov."

    Vilsack, a Democrat who had predicted that the Republican Huckabee would
    beat him, finished his second marathon at 5 hours and 25 minutes. Vilsack
    finished the Des Moines Marathon in just under five hours last October.

    Huckabee waited for Vilsack at the finish line and hugged his friend as he
    crossed, giving him his finisher's medal. Huckabee said afterward that he
    never felt bad during the run and that he had watched the movie "Rocky" the=

    night before the race to get pumped up.

    He added that a good training regimen is what got him across the finish
    line at a 10 minute, 39 second per mile pace.

    "I believe this is 90 percent preparation and 10 percent presentation," he
    said. "I did exactly what I was supposed to do, to the day, to the mile."

    Tags:

  2. marengo

    marengo Guest

    "Running Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    | Monday, March 7, 2005 =B7 Last updated 9:10 a.m. PT
    |
    | Arkansas governor completes marathon

    <snip>

    I saw on the news tonight that the FORMERArkansas governor, Bill Clinton,
    walks 4 miles every day despite his recent quadruple bypass!

    Peter

  3. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    The last runner governor of Arkansas- Bill Clinon-
    has heart problems, despite his running.
    Got to have good genes and good diet too.

  4. Running Man wrote:
> [...]

    > beat him, finished his second marathon at 5 hours and 25 minutes.

    Vilsack
    > finished the Des Moines Marathon in just under five hours last

    October.

    > Huckabee waited for Vilsack at the finish line and hugged his friend

    as he
    > crossed, giving him his finisher's medal. Huckabee said afterward

    that he
    > never felt bad during the run and that he had watched the movie

    "Rocky" the=

    > night before the race to get pumped up.
    >
    > He added that a good training regimen is what got him across the

    finish
    > line at a 10 minute, 39 second per mile pace.
    >
    > "I believe this is 90 percent preparation and 10 percent

    presentation," he
    > said. "I did exactly what I was supposed to do, to the day, to the

    It's a pretty elite club: sitting governors who run marathons. I know
    that Minnesota's Tim Pawlenty ran the 2004 Twin Cities Marathon. Any
    others?

    Brian Jones

  5. "Brian" == Brian Jones <[email protected]> writes:

    Brian> It's a pretty elite club: sitting governors who run marathons. I know
    Brian> that Minnesota's Tim Pawlenty ran the 2004 Twin Cities Marathon. Any
    Brian> others?

    Governor Rick Perry of Texas ran the 2005 Freescale Marathon.
    --
    Dave Marquardt
    Round Rock, TX

  6. ElvisIsDead

    ElvisIsDead Guest

    <snip>

    I ran beside him for the first 4 miles or so. He had a State Policeman a few
    yards behind. It was very annoying at the beginning when all the media were
    pushing around trying to get a shot of him. They were very much in the way
    when the horn sounded. I don't think they knew the stampede was about to
    trample them. I pittied him because no one would leave him alone durning the
    run. He was very gracious. Just like a politician should be....

    Elvis

  7. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    ElvisIsDead wrote:
    :: <snip>
    ::
    :: I ran beside him for the first 4 miles or so. He had a State
    :: Policeman a few yards behind. It was very annoying at the beginning
    :: when all the media were pushing around trying to get a shot of him.
    :: They were very much in the way when the horn sounded. I don't think
    :: they knew the stampede was about to trample them. I pittied him
    :: because no one would leave him alone durning the run. He was very
    :: gracious. Just like a politician should be....
    ::
    ::
    :: Elvis

    did they see you there beside him?