Arlington VA Cycling

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Peter Prime, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Peter Prime

    Peter Prime Guest

    I may have to transfer to the Arlington, Fall Church, VA area and want to know how the cycling is
    around there. I currently live in Indiana and pop out my back door and do 30- 50 miles in the county
    without any stop signs, cars or sometimes changing gears it's so flat.

    West of Washington looks really congested in that area and alot of highways and suburbs. Is this
    area pretty cycle friendly.

    Many thanks. Pete.

    Tags:

  2. Mike Vore

    Mike Vore Guest

    Bicycling west from Arlington/Falls Church is easy - the W&OD trail runs about 45-miles west from
    Shirlington (I-395) to Purcellville. The W&OD is paved and at times is a "High Speed Commuter" route
    to/from DC. Once beyond I-495 you are on the Piedmont - which means it is hilly - from Gently
    Rolling to Mountains (about 5-mi beyond Purcellville). Main roads are not particularly bike-friendly
    but some of the Back Roads are (Actually the roads are pretty nuteral on bikes
    - it's some of the drivers!). But once you ride a road a few times you will get to know the traffic
    patterns vs. time of day.

    There are plenty of bike routes in/around the DC area,

    have fun mike

    --
    Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8]; WHIRL, ABC; CAW, CW, AAW http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness
    <-Custom Woodworking http://mike.vorefamily.net/thewoodenradio <-The weblog

  3. B17 Guy

    B17 Guy Guest

    Check out bikewashington.org it is a great site

  4. Also, Washington Area Bicyclist Association: www.waba.org