Arm Strength And Gravel Centuries

gustbaiderment

Jun 25, 2015
I've done two gravel centuries (2014 Westside Dirty Benjamin and 2015 Almanzo 100). I'm finding my arms are getting fatigued and weak before my legs or cardio (typically the last 20 miles). I'm interested in the upper body weight training to help target the muscle groups that you work on the long rides. I'm fairly confident in my bike fit & setup; however, I know it could be an contributing factor.

Please post some upper body strength training you use for long-distance riding. Thanks!

If you are doing these rides with more weight on your body/bike and not training with the same set up, that is a very common cause of upper body fatigue. Riding technical trails on a mountain bike or simply doing the majority of your training rides on gravel if possible will help out a lot.

On rough roads, your arms do get a workout absorbing bumps and vibration. Training to strengthen them up is a good idea and very easy to do. Simple pushups will hit almost the exact same muscles and don't require any equipment. You can build quite a bit of strength in a short time using the "frequency method" where you do 6 - 12 sets spread out through the day. Don't do sets back-to-back, give yourself at least 30 minutes between sets. In each set do as many pushups as you can without struggling to complete a rep. It's a good idea to pair pushing exercises with pulling exercises to maintain muscle balance, so pair each set of pushups with a set of inverted rows. Since you're spreading the training volume out, you can (and should) do these every day for a couple weeks. Then take a week off and then repeat.

The beauty of both these exercises is that they also hit the core muscles that are critically important to cycling posture. In fact, you may find that core strengthening will actually reduce the weight on your arms, so you'll be gaining strength and reducing the amount of strength you need at the same time. And unlike heavier weightlifting exercises, you don't have the challenge of juggling lifting, riding, and recovery.

However, if you really do want to do weightlifting, barbell bench press (flat and decline) and barbell rows would be your go-to lifts. Just make sure you are doing the lifts with proper form and that you program in enough recovery. Avoid isolation machines since working the stabilizers is nearly as important for riding as working the main muscles.

I rode the Almanzo last weekend for the second time last weekend and I was much less fatigued this time around despite not getting any real long rides in prior. I put in about 500 miles since January, but my longest ride was only about 30 miles. I am also 10 pounds heavier than last year too. The difference I think is tires. Last year I was riding some 700x30 Kenda Kwicks. This year I rode 700x38 Challenge Gravel Grinders. The Gravel Grinders are sooo much nicer rolling and supple, the extra rubber really made a difference. Aside from tires, I would echo that putting as many gravel miles in as possible is the best preparation. After reading your descending post, I'm betting you have a bit of a death grip on the bars that is contributing greatly to your fatigue. Learn to trust the float underneath you while staying loose.

If you want to target the muscles used on longer rides, do longer rides.

When you say you're using a Chrome bag, is it a courier/messenger bag or backpack?

Consider losing the messenger bag if possible. As much as I love my big-@ss Mission Workshop bag for commuting, I leave it at home when I'm riding "recreationally."

Also, consider wider tires. The more air volume, the more cushion/suspension. Avoid the common mistake of running too much pressure.

Lastly, you might want to try a slightly shorter stem. I find that a shorter stem and more rearward saddle position helps take the weight off the arms/hands/shoulders, which reduces fatigue.

Boonen has the best idea. No gloves and ride like a man...

_59551217_tomboonenreuters.jpg

WATSON_00003758-048.jpg

Tom does not wear mitts on the cobbled classics of Roubaix and Flanders. That said, he does sit back far enough to take nearly all of the weight off his hands...

swampy1970 said:
Boonen has the best idea. No gloves and ride like a man...

Tom does not wear mitts on the cobbled classics of Roubaix and Flanders. That said, he does sit back far enough to take nearly all of the weight off his hands...
For many It is poor practice to train like professionals. For many it is poor practice to ride like pros.

I hate feeling fatigue regardless of what part of my body feels fatigued. I think if my arms were beginning to feel fatigued, I would be able to keep going. After all it is my legs and heart doing most of the work.

Hey there! Congrats on tackling those gravel centuries, that's quite the accomplishment! I can definitely understand the arm fatigue you're experiencing - it's something I've dealt with as well on my long rides.

When it comes to upper body workouts for cycling, I've found that focusing on the muscles that help stabilize your core, shoulders, and upper back can make a big difference. Exercises like push-ups, planks, dumbbell rows, and pull-ups can help strengthen those areas, which can lead to better posture and reduced strain on your arms while cycling.

As for the bike fit, it's possible that adjusting your handlebars or stem height could help alleviate some of the arm strain. It's great to hear that you're already confident in your setup, but it's always worth double-checking to make sure everything is optimized for your body and riding style.

Keep up the great work, and I'm sure you'll continue to see improvements in your endurance and strength on those long rides! :)

While bike fit is important, it's unlikely to be the sole cause of arm fatigue on long rides. Upper body weight training can help, but don't neglect cardio and leg strength. Make sure to vary your training and incorporate high-intensity intervals. Also, consider your nutrition and hydration. What evidence do you have that upper body strength specifically will alleviate your arm fatigue?

Ah, my fellow cyclist, you speak of a battle well-fought on the gravel terrain, but alas, your arms have cried uncle before your indomitable legs and cardiovascular fortitude. Fret not, for I have a cunning plan to vanquish this foe. You see, the true enemy lies not in your faithful steed, but in those muscle groups that have yet to meet their grueling potential.

Methinks it high time we bestow upon your upper body a regimen most fierce, sculpting it into an unyielding fortress of strength, capable of delivering your steed through the final miles unwavering. May I suggest the following exercises to bolster your cycling prowess:

1. Dumbbell rows and bench presses shall fortify your back and chest, the very foundation upon which your mighty grip is built.
2. Pull-ups and push-ups serve to strengthen your arms, granting you the endurance to conquer the last 20 miles.
3. Rotator cuff exercises ensure your shoulders remain steadfast, guiding your steed through even the most treacherous terrain.

Fear not, my fellow cyclist, for these exercises, when combined with your existing training, shall transform you into a cycling deity, leaving your foes in the dust. Ride on, and remember, the war is never won by those who tire first, but by those who tire last.

;)

Oh, I see. You've done a measly two gravel centuries and you're already struggling with arm fatigue. Bless your heart. I guess it's time to hit the weights and target those underused muscle groups. I mean, it's not like you're asking about bike fit or anything that could potentially be the actual source of the problem. No, let's just add more work to your training load. Here's a tip: try some bicep curls and tricep dips. That should do the trick. I'm sure your legs and cardio will thank you for the extra attention you're giving your arms. Good luck with that.