Arm warmers.

Tragic? Best thing since hub gears? Opinons please.

When it's really cold I've been starting off with t-shirt a jacket
zipped up to my chin, two layers of gloves and track pants. The zip
on the jacket comes down in stages as I warm up until it's eventually
completely unzipped and flapping in the breeze, then I slide the
sleeves up/down as required. But this makes my jacket (which I also
wear during the day unlike the rest of my riding clobber) sweaty and
stinky. I'm thinking arm warmers + t-shirt might be sufficient or
perhaps I should be looking at a long sleeved thermal undershirt for
those sub-zero morning commutes?

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 02 Jul 2007 19:11:17 -0700
[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tragic? Best thing since hub gears? Opinons please.
>
> When it's really cold I've been starting off with t-shirt a jacket
> zipped up to my chin, two layers of gloves and track pants. The zip
> on the jacket comes down in stages as I warm up until it's eventually
> completely unzipped and flapping in the breeze, then I slide the
> sleeves up/down as required. But this makes my jacket (which I also
> wear during the day unlike the rest of my riding clobber) sweaty and
> stinky. I'm thinking arm warmers + t-shirt might be sufficient or
> perhaps I should be looking at a long sleeved thermal undershirt for
> those sub-zero morning commutes?

I have a Jagged cycling jacket, water resistant rather than really
waterproof, but the arms detach.

So I can start out with a windproof warmish layer and stop to remove
arms if needed.

Zebee

Tragic? Best thing since hub gears? Opinons please.

When it's really cold I've been starting off with t-shirt a jacket
zipped up to my chin, two layers of gloves and track pants. The zip
on the jacket comes down in stages as I warm up until it's eventually
completely unzipped and flapping in the breeze, then I slide the
sleeves up/down as required. But this makes my jacket (which I also
wear during the day unlike the rest of my riding clobber) sweaty and
stinky. I'm thinking arm warmers + t-shirt might be sufficient or
perhaps I should be looking at a long sleeved thermal undershirt for
those sub-zero morning commutes?
I have the unfortunate problem of having very long, skinny arms which necessitates me buying L or XL arms for length but then the diameter is too large at the top and they dont stay up. So i gave up after one winter and moved onto wearing long sleeve thermals.

I have had the same LS thermal for about 6 years and it is brilliant.

[email protected] wrote:
> Tragic?

Useful actually, very useful.
1) They can help balance cooling/heating over the body where you need it.
2) They allow the ar heads to identify themselves "come in suckers"

> Best thing since hub gears?

Not quite {:)}}}

On Jul 3, 12:11 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Tragic? Best thing since hub gears? Opinons please.

I like mine, and reckon they're better than long sleeves for
moderating your temperature. If I get too hot, I slide them down, if
that's not enough, into my pack or back pocket they go. Too cold, and
back up they go. I can wear them with any short sleeved jersey, or, if
it's *really* bitter, as well as a long sleeved jersey. They don't get
as smelly as jerseys, so don't need to be washed as often.

Of course, it rarely gets so cold round here that Netti's famous
flannie long sleeved jersey can't cope...

Tony F

[email protected] wrote:
> Tragic? Best thing since hub gears? Opinons please.

I just bought a pair, so I'll let you know! Everyone I ride with wears
them. They're handy on a long ride as you can let them down if you're
feeling warm or taken them off and stick 'em in your pockets. They take
up very little space.

--
Bean "off the bike for a while due to a hard as concrete ITB"

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Bean Long said:
Bean "off the bike for a while due to a hard as concrete ITB"

You have a bad ITB from riding ??? wow.... I thought that was a predominantly runners injury, mine flared up a couple of years ago, the only thing that solved it for me was rest, rest and there is a really good stretch you can do... hard to describe though.

As for Arm warmers.... geesh get some! during Winter for me it is mainly.... Arm Warmers/cycling jersey over Thermal top and if it is REALLY cold, then i will put on a third layer until it warms up some more.

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 19:11:17 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> Tragic? Best thing since hub gears? Opinons please.

I prefer fleeced ones to long-sleeved jerseys, because they're
airtight, and you can pull them down to help you cool off when climbing.

I buy the cheap Nettis, then get my Mum to take a tuck in the
upper end so that they're tight on my weedy arms :)

> sleeves up/down as required. But this makes my jacket (which I also
> wear during the day unlike the rest of my riding clobber) sweaty and
> stinky.

I only wear a jacket when it's raining, or (an armless one) on long
descents in cold weather. Otherwise they hold too much sweat in and flap
around.

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:25:30 +1000, byron27 wrote:

> I have the unfortunate problem of having very long, skinny arms which
> necessitates me buying L or XL arms for length but then the diameter is
> too large at the top and they dont stay up.

I have the same problem - I get Mum to take a tuck in the top end with
her overlocker :)

On Jul 3, 12:13 pm, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a Jagged cycling jacket, water resistant rather than really
> waterproof, but the arms detach.
>
> So I can start out with a windproof warmish layer and stop to remove
> arms if needed.
>
> Zebee

I use a Mountain Designs windstopper which isn't even water resistant,
but it lives up to it's name. Gets a bit warm on the bike though
(great winter liner under my Dririder Nordic motorcycle jacket though).

On Jul 3, 12:25 pm, byron27 <byron27.2t4...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> I have the unfortunate problem of having very long, skinny arms which
> necessitates me buying L or XL arms for length but then the diameter is
> too large at the top and they dont stay up. So i gave up after one
> winter and moved onto wearing long sleeve thermals.
>
> I have had the same LS thermal for about 6 years and it is brilliant.
>
> --
> byron27

I'm pretty sure I've got a long sleve thermal top in the cupboard.
I'll dig it out and give it a try.

On Jul 3, 3:17 pm, Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 19:11:17 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> > Tragic? Best thing since hub gears? Opinons please.

> I prefer fleeced ones to long-sleeved jerseys, because they're
> airtight, and you can pull them down to help you cool off when climbing.
>
> I buy the cheap Nettis, then get my Mum to take a tuck in the
> upper end so that they're tight on my weedy arms :)

All the ones I've found so far appear to be some kind of lycra,
still... I'm pretty tempted by these if I do decide to get arm
warmers ;-)

http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product.php?productid=4335&cat=217&page=1

On Jul 3, 3:26 pm, John Pitts <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2007-07-03, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Tragic? Best thing since hub gears? Opinons please.

> Just bought a pair the other week. They rock.

That appears to be the general concensus of opinion. I think I'll try
the thermal top since I've got it and I'm a tight git, then go the arm
warmers if that's no good. Maybe I could cut the arms off the thermal
top ;-)

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 3 Jul 2007 15:11:18 +1000
MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bean Long Wrote:
>> Bean "off the bike for a while due to a hard as concrete ITB"
>>

> You have a bad ITB from riding ??? wow.... I thought that was a
> predominantly runners injury, mine flared up a couple of years ago, the
> only thing that solved it for me was rest, rest and there is a really
> good stretch you can do... hard to describe though.

Apparently another way to help a tight ITB is riding a bent :)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NHF/is_12_19/ai_86708371

Zebee
- who will convert someone one day!

MikeyOz wrote:
> Bean Long Wrote:
>> Bean "off the bike for a while due to a hard as concrete ITB"
>>

> You have a bad ITB from riding ??? wow.... I thought that was a
> predominantly runners injury, mine flared up a couple of years ago, the
> only thing that solved it for me was rest, rest and there is a really
> good stretch you can do... hard to describe though.

I assume it's from riding. The physio has given me a pile of stretching
and other exercises to help things relax, but I've pretty much been out
of action for about 5-6 weeks with only a few rides under my belt (or
should I say elastic) in that time. My physio says my knee-cap is too
big to allow much lateral movement and modest tightening of the ITB and
associated muscles is pulling it slightly out of kilter and the
underside of it is rubbing on some soft tissue. Ouchies. It first
started hurting about 70 k's into a long ride and after that was hurting
much earlier in a ride (about 20 k's). After doing the stretches etc.
for a few weeks I've managed to make it to about 40k's without
discomfort, so I'm guessing it's getting a little better. First thought
was that my cleats had moved but that seems not to be the case, although
a good re-fit wouldn't go astray. The discomfort kicked in shortly after
the Tour of Canberra while I was "winding down" from months of hard
efforts. Otherwise I'd done 10,000 km on the same bike without any problems.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

On Jul 3, 12:25 pm, byron27 <byron27.2t4...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> [email protected] Wrote:> Tragic? Best thing since hub gears? Opinons please.
>
> > When it's really cold I've been starting off with t-shirt a jacket
> > zipped up to my chin, two layers of gloves and track pants. The zip
> > on the jacket comes down in stages as I warm up until it's eventually
> > completely unzipped and flapping in the breeze, then I slide the
> > sleeves up/down as required. But this makes my jacket (which I also
> > wear during the day unlike the rest of my riding clobber) sweaty and
> > stinky. I'm thinking arm warmers + t-shirt might be sufficient or
> > perhaps I should be looking at a long sleeved thermal undershirt for
> > those sub-zero morning commutes?

> I have the unfortunate problem of having very long, skinny arms which
> necessitates me buying L or XL arms for length but then the diameter is
> too large at the top and they dont stay up. So i gave up after one
> winter and moved onto wearing long sleeve thermals.
>
> I have had the same LS thermal for about 6 years and it is brilliant.

Another vote here for long thermals.

Although it doesn't get to sub-zero around here (Sydney west-ish), I
use a long-sleeve top under a short sleeve cycling jersey. If it's
really cold, I'll also put on some longjohns under my knicks (and wear
gloves).

They are fairly tight fitting (as they should be), so don't flap in
the breeze. I find them fine for everything I encounter commuting,
including rain (I don't bother with a jacket.. the thermals still stay
warm and I figure I'll just get wet with sweat anyway).

I approached it this way because I had the thermals in the cupboard
from other activities. They're pretty cheap and very long lasting;
I've had the same pair for about 7 years; using them for everything
from offshore yacht racing to cycling. Only just bought some new ones
the other day (Kathmandu sale, $32 for both top + bottom. If you want
to go exxy, you can get merino instead of polyprop). The old ones are
still serviceable, just a few holes here and there.

I think that defines me as a fred.

i reckon arm warmers are more use in summer, to keep the sun off. Make your
own from side panels from a pair of old lycra nicks or poly shirt sleeves or
whatever you can find. Bad luck the Cancer Council only sells single arm
covers for car drivers, cyclists have to buy two. Attach homemade ones via
small velcro patches sewed on to jersey arms. In winter I reckon wind
stopper vests are the best invention ever, worn with long sleeved jersey or
thermal.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jul 3, 3:26 pm, John Pitts <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 2007-07-03, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > Tragic? Best thing since hub gears? Opinons please.

>> Just bought a pair the other week. They rock.

> That appears to be the general concensus of opinion. I think I'll try
> the thermal top since I've got it and I'm a tight git, then go the arm
> warmers if that's no good. Maybe I could cut the arms off the thermal
> top ;-)

On Jul 3, 12:11 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Tragic? Best thing since hub gears? Opinons please.
>
> When it's really cold I've been starting off with t-shirt a jacket
> zipped up to my chin, two layers of gloves and track pants. The zip
> on the jacket comes down in stages as I warm up until it's eventually
> completely unzipped and flapping in the breeze, then I slide the
> sleeves up/down as required. But this makes my jacket (which I also
> wear during the day unlike the rest of my riding clobber) sweaty and
> stinky. I'm thinking arm warmers + t-shirt might be sufficient or
> perhaps I should be looking at a long sleeved thermal undershirt for
> those sub-zero morning commutes?

I ride in almost any weather, and this is what I wear/carry in
winter :

thermal short sleeve t-shirt (polypro)
cycling jersey
arm warmers
windproof full length gloves
windvest
if it's really cold, I have a longsleeve windjacket and windstopper
ear warmers.

armwarmers are good. Cotton sucks.