Arm/Wrist pain

jd239

Aug 15, 2003
Need a bit of help please. Recently after a ride, I came home and a couple of hours after the ride, I felt pain in my right wrist and forearm. It felt very tight and hurt to type on the computer as well as do much else. I also experienced some loss of strength in the right hand as well. Being an idiot, I kept riding this bike although it didn't feel like it really fit me good, it was still fairly comfortable. On another ride, I stood up on the pedals to get some extra speed on the bike and while pulling on the hoods a bit, felt a sharp pain in my left arm. It scared me so I backed off my riding for the rest of the day. The left arm feels a bit like the right, but not near as bad. If I take a few days off from riding and baby the right arm, it starts to feel a bit better. Can anyone tell me what I've possibly done to my wrists/forearms or what's happening? Thanks to all for any information

jd

Originally posted by jd239
Need a bit of help please. Recently after a ride, I came home and a couple of hours after the ride, I felt pain in my right wrist and forearm. It felt very tight and hurt to type on the computer as well as do much else. I also experienced some loss of strength in the right hand as well. Being an idiot, I kept riding this bike although it didn't feel like it really fit me good, it was still fairly comfortable. On another ride, I stood up on the pedals to get some extra speed on the bike and while pulling on the hoods a bit, felt a sharp pain in my left arm. It scared me so I backed off my riding for the rest of the day. The left arm feels a bit like the right, but not near as bad. If I take a few days off from riding and baby the right arm, it starts to feel a bit better. Can anyone tell me what I've possibly done to my wrists/forearms or what's happening? Thanks to all for any information

jd

Does the bike fit you?
Putting too much weight on the front half of your torso?
Changing hand position often enough?
Can you, and, or, do you wear gloves at all?
How about lowering the air pressure to alleviate some of the pain?

Just a few checks.

Originally posted by Sidi
Does the bike fit you?
Putting too much weight on the front half of your torso?
Changing hand position often enough?
Can you, and, or, do you wear gloves at all?
How about lowering the air pressure to alleviate some of the pain?

Just a few checks.

Thanks for responding. Let me clear something up, I was a recumbent rider for a long time, but back in May of 2003, I started riding my road bikes. I was riding my Bianchi most of the time at first on fairly short club rides to get re-adjusted. After riding the road bike, I found that I liked it better. So I just kept riding the road bike. It didn't seem to appear that I had any problem on the Bianchi any time I was riding it. I decided to get the other road bike (more of a commuter/touring bike) fixed up to ride. At first I didn't have any problem with it, but I was sharing a seat between the two bikes. After I had the seat on the Bianchi for a while, I switched it to the commuter bike to ride it for a while. The last time I put the seat on the commuter was when I first noticed my arms and wrists having soreness. Then one day about a week ago, it got really bad. Bad enough that I couldn't ride an upright anymore. I have been laying off from riding the uprights and have been riding my recumbent to take the pressure off my arms/wrists, but I really want to continue riding the road bikes. I'm not sure how to get my forearms and wrists from becoming so tight. Can't seem to loosen them up any. I don't really want to quit riding all together. I'm thinking the bike doesn't fit as well as I thought it did and I'm thinking of putting a longer stem on it so that my hands aren't supporting so much of my weight. I have always changed hand positions often, and changing them as often as I was might have been telling me that I was putting to much weight on them in any position on the commuter. I'm not sure. So, I'm here in the forums looking for help or suggestions. Again, thanks!

jd239