armadillo tire pressure

saturnsc2

Jul 14, 2004
do a lot of you use ARMADILLO ALL CONDITION tires here? they are awesome tires & are supposed to be very flat resistant. i just installed a set of these on my road bike. they are 27 x 1 1/4. the tire pressures are as follows on the tire: 115 minimum, & 125 maximum. is it critical that i maintain such a high pressure? i mean, will the tires be damaged if i ride them underflated? the last thing i want to do is damage these expensive kevlar lined tires. when i inflate them at half that pressure they are still pretty firm & i wonder why they have to be inflated so high. since bike tires seem top lose air when not in use, i would imagine that it will be a task to keep up that high pressure all the time & they will be frequently used underflated...

saturnsc2 said:
do a lot of you use ARMADILLO ALL CONDITION tires here? they are awesome tires & are supposed to be very flat resistant. i just installed a set of these on my road bike. they are 27 x 1 1/4. the tire pressures are as follows on the tire: 115 minimum, & 125 maximum. is it critical that i maintain such a high pressure? i mean, will the tires be damaged if i ride them underflated? the last thing i want to do is damage these expensive kevlar lined tires. when i inflate them at half that pressure they are still pretty firm & i wonder why they have to be inflated so high. since bike tires seem top lose air when not in use, i would imagine that it will be a task to keep up that high pressure all the time & they will be frequently used underflated...
Depends on rim/rider/conditions.
If your rim has a good hook for the bead and you have rather wide rims, you can get by with lower pressure.
If you corner hard and are heavy, you wil want to keep the pressure up, especially if you are a large rider.

i'm no expert but i've always heard that tires ahould always be fully inflated, if only to cut down on road friction. seems to me like you'd be exposing more surface area to the road and thereby making it harder on yourself in terms of effort.

kaikane said:
i'm no expert but i've always heard that tires ahould always be fully inflated, if only to cut down on road friction. seems to me like you'd be exposing more surface area to the road and thereby making it harder on yourself in terms of effort.
ya i understahd what you are saying. i just hope these things stay on the rims & don't blow off under all that pressure...

You are taking a chance with ANY tires on ANY vehicle when you use them outside of the recommended pressure range. At half inflation you will get increased tire wear, more punctures, and maybe get a "pinch flat" when the rim bottoms out going over a bump. You may have the tires "roll" (bend rather than lean with the wheel) when in a hard corner, and cornering will definitely be less precise and less predictable. Keep them at the low side of pressure range if you like, invest in a pump with an accurate pressure gauge, and check pressure often.

I have Armadillo All Conditions and ride them at 120 psi at all times. I check the tire pressure after two or three days and always need to adjust and add more pressure. Get a good pump with a gauge and you should be set to go.