armadillo tire tread detached



Z

zara

Guest
I've been using armadillo tires to prevent flats. They have a problem
with the tread coming unglued. Anyone know of (and tried) a good glue to
reglue them?

Thanks.
 
Q

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Guest
zara wrote:
> I've been using armadillo tires to prevent flats. They have a problem
> with the tread coming unglued. Anyone know of (and tried) a good glue to
> reglue them?
>
> Thanks.


I wouldn't try that. If the 'factory' can't get them to stick, I doubt
a a local glue would...and getting them straight....how about a
warranty credit at the place ya got them and a different tire??
 
C

catzz66

Guest
zara wrote:
> I've been using armadillo tires to prevent flats. They have a problem
> with the tread coming unglued. Anyone know of (and tried) a good glue to
> reglue them?
>
> Thanks.
>


This has come up before. Do you have to leave your bike out in the
heat? I wonder if this happens if you store your bike inside. Not
saying that tread separation is okay. It sounds like a defect to me.
 
E

Earl Bollinger

Guest
"zara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've been using armadillo tires to prevent flats. They have a problem
> with the tread coming unglued. Anyone know of (and tried) a good glue to
> reglue them?
>
> Thanks.
>


Is your cracks like this, all the way around the outer edge of the sidewall.
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c...urrent=72cd1e2a.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch3
I rode them for several months, and they gave me no trouble. I only noticed
the cracks when I went to change out the worn down rear tire for a new one.
So unless the sidewalls are failing or the cord or plies are coming loose it
isn't really a problem.
I never had any flats occur with them so they do work for preventing flats.
What causes it is the outer layer is extra stiff and thick to prevent flats
but the sidewalls are thinner and more flexible. Thus the rubber develops a
crack
all the way around the tire on both sides. I had four tires and the second
pair started getting the exact same cracks after one day just riding to
work.
Nothing you can do to fix the problem. Just ride them until it worries you
too much, then change them out for Bontrager Race Lites.
The Bontragers work great and don't have these cracks forming on them.
 
E

Earl Bollinger

Guest
"zara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "Earl Bollinger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> "zara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>> > I've been using armadillo tires to prevent flats. They have a

> problem
>> > with the tread coming unglued. Anyone know of (and tried) a good

> glue to
>> > reglue them?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >

>>
>> Is your cracks like this, all the way around the outer edge of the

> sidewall.
>
> It isn't like a crack so much as the whole kevlar layer coming off. It
> flops around when I ride fast down hill and feels like I'm riding on a
> banana peel when riding slow sometimes. This has happened with about 4
> or 5 of these tires now.
>

That is worse than what I have had happen. I would switch to Bontrager's
myself.
 
Z

zara

Guest
"Earl Bollinger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "zara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > I've been using armadillo tires to prevent flats. They have a

problem
> > with the tread coming unglued. Anyone know of (and tried) a good

glue to
> > reglue them?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

>
> Is your cracks like this, all the way around the outer edge of the

sidewall.

It isn't like a crack so much as the whole kevlar layer coming off. It
flops around when I ride fast down hill and feels like I'm riding on a
banana peel when riding slow sometimes. This has happened with about 4
or 5 of these tires now.
 
4

41

Guest
zara wrote:
> I've been using armadillo tires to prevent flats. They have a problem


The problem as you have described it, and other problems that others
have described, makes these tires unsatisfactory. Besides what is
described in this thread, the tires are very stiff and give a very poor
ride. You can do a lot better in many ways, including flat prevention:

-Try the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They are available in sizes from
700x28 up to something very large. I believe they are also available in
26". There is also the Schwalbe Marathon, which is available in similar
sizes as well as 27". If you are looking for something narrower, like a
700x23 or 25, try the Stelvio Plus, which is of similar construction.
The Marathon Plus has more than 1cm of rubber between tube and road,
yet, because the extra rubber is soft, not hard, it keeps rolling
resistance and ride quality reasonable, unlike the Armadillos. The flat
protection is superior to the Armadillos as well.

-Other very flat resistant tires are the Vittoria Randonneur and the
Continetal Top Touring, both available in sizes from 700x28 up. The Top
Touring rides well and the Randonneur is a little stiff, but either
will ride better than the Armadillos.

Now a question: do you really need this sort of extreme flat
protection? Ordinary tires are quite durable and even very flat
resistant tires can be punctured by thorns (except for the Marathon
Plus) and nails.(the Marathon Plus will absorb a thumbtack no problem).
Watching where you are going might be a better solution, along with an
extra durable but fairly normal tire, like the IRC Tandem, Avocet Duro
Plus, or Michelin Carbon (now Krylion).
 
I quit using Armadillos, not because the tread separated from the
casing, but because the tread depth was so ****-poor that they didn't
last very long at all. Bad combination: an expensive tire with thin
tread. I've been using Continental Ultra Sports instead, and am fairly
satisfied with them, although I got 6 punctures on my last 80-mile
training ride 'way out in the country, where the star thistle remnants
are lying on the road at this time of year, but are too small to see
and avoid. Even though I carry two spare tubes, I was reduced to
patching this time. (This is not really a criticism of the
Continentals. Any tire would have done this. Also, I could have been
less focused on speed and wiped off my tires more often. Wiping with
your hand won't actually remove a star thistle, but you'll feel
something funny and, if you're lucky, you can stop, find it, and remove
it before it punctures the tube.) So tell me more about the Bontrager
Race Lites: would you recommend them over a Continental? I've never
used them before. The Conti Ultra Sports are selling for about $20
apiece at my LBS. About how much do the Bontragers cost?
 
P

Patrick Lamb

Guest
On 10 Sep 2006 05:47:36 -0700, "41" <[email protected]> wrote:
>-Other very flat resistant tires are the Vittoria Randonneur and the
>Continetal Top Touring, both available in sizes from 700x28 up. The Top
>Touring rides well and the Randonneur is a little stiff, but either
>will ride better than the Armadillos.


Just out of curiosity, are the Top Touring slightly undersized, as
some of the Continentals are? (Makes the darn tough to get on and off
a rim!)

Pat

Email address works as is.
 
4

41

Guest
Patrick Lamb wrote:
> On 10 Sep 2006 05:47:36 -0700, "41" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >-Other very flat resistant tires are the Vittoria Randonneur and the
> >Continetal Top Touring, both available in sizes from 700x28 up. The Top
> >Touring rides well and the Randonneur is a little stiff, but either
> >will ride better than the Armadillos.

>
> Just out of curiosity, are the Top Touring slightly undersized, as
> some of the Continentals are? (Makes the darn tough to get on and off
> a rim!)


They are discontinued, is what they are, so I guess it's all moot.
People report all sorts of contradictory findings about tires here, but
I don't recall complaints about TT sizing.
w
 
C

Chris Z The Wheelman

Guest
This is a problem I have experienced with more than a few "kevlar
belted" tires and stems, IMO from the fact that most manufacturers
simply slip the belt between the casing and the tread. This is one of
the reasons I stubbornly cling to Hutchinson's "ProfilU" tire which has
the kevlar interwoven into the casing itself, between the plys (which
also gives it a better road "feel").

Unfortunately this model is no longer in production, but Hutchinson may
have incorporated it into some of it's current models. You might want to
check.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
 
Q

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Guest
41 wrote:
> Patrick Lamb wrote:
> > On 10 Sep 2006 05:47:36 -0700, "41" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >-Other very flat resistant tires are the Vittoria Randonneur and the
> > >Continetal Top Touring, both available in sizes from 700x28 up. The Top
> > >Touring rides well and the Randonneur is a little stiff, but either
> > >will ride better than the Armadillos.

> >
> > Just out of curiosity, are the Top Touring slightly undersized, as
> > some of the Continentals are? (Makes the darn tough to get on and off
> > a rim!)

>
> They are discontinued, is what they are, so I guess it's all moot.
> People report all sorts of contradictory findings about tires here, but
> I don't recall complaints about TT sizing.
> w


TopTour now called 'Contacts', essentially same tire, touring type, in
28, 32 and 37mm sizing..great tire BTW and pretty true to size.