armour off or on?

Just always wear your helmet. You almost never fall on your head, but
the one time you do, you'll want your helmet.

All the armour I wear is a helmet and ankle guards for the KH crank
nubs. I really wish I had shin guards, though, not only would they
protect me, but they would superly boost my courage/confidence.

--
James_Potter - Nil Desperandum

dogbowl wrote:
> *I have no doubt that I would have been really ****ed up had it not
> been for the armor. Will I continue to pad up? Yes, every time, no
> matter how good I get, even if I look like a total nerd.
> *

I'd rather look like a healthy nerd than a scarred and paraplegic
fashion plate anyday, I always wear a helmet (I've got TWO), and, if I'm
Cokering or MUniing (how many "i"s in MUNiiiiing? :confused: ) knee,
wrist and elbow PPE. I've already had blood on my pants from Cokering
and don't want to repeat, as for MUni, the rocks just scare me!:eek:

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Yesterday I rode to the park where I train. I kept my padding on all the
time. When it was time to go back home I took of the kneepads cause they
are not made for sitting on a knee that is constantly cycling (I use
skatepads). Ah, how nice to feel the wind against my sweaty knee caps,
and to be free from those evil hard straps. Then I fell when going down
a curb. I glided over the tarmac on the wristguards but the knees stayed
unharmed. Five minutes later I fell again, this time on my ass. Before
this happened I didn't have one single fall during my 3 week long
unicycling carrier. Now you say it was about time I had some falling.
Ok, but why did it happen when I took off my knee armour? Someone
already wrote about it in this thread - what effect the armour has on
your mind; and what happens to that poor mind when armour is not there
any more. I didn't notice any mental change but I am sure this was the
reason to my falls. Maybe it is a good idea once in a while to ride
without armour as someone suggested, just to boost your confidence, but
I think I will stay on the safe side and use it as much as I can.

even marble eggs can crack

I learned something important today: No matter how hot it is, where a
t-shirt. I was working on (trying to) ride backwards this evening in
the driveway, as well as hopping onto cinder-blocks, and it was getting
war, so I pulled off my t-shirt for better ventilation. Lo and behold,
I fell whilst "riding" backwards, and landed on my elbows and back. No
biggie really, the elbows were well padded and suffered no damage, but I
slid on hard, loose, rocky gravel on my back... Nothing serious, little
blood if any drawn, but stung like a male child of an incestously
inclined, chemically dependent, female member of the oldest
profession... (Son of a mother fscking crack wh0r3)...

--
evil-nick - Living in Balance

Never kick a unicyclist in the groin... it will only make them grow
stronger...

evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

Golden Chicken wrote:
> *I have only 3 weeks training behind me with my 24" uni and now I ride
> some 3-4 kilometers on the sidewalks and in the parks. I feel pretty
> secure and I haven't had any fall yet that made use of my paddings*

After only 3 weeks you haven't yet had time to learn your "fall"
patterns. This refers to the areas you tend to scrape up or otherwise
hurt when you do fall. If you don't ever fall, it means you've plateaued
and aren't working on new things (such as riding farther, over bumps,
etc.). Generally, you will fall from time to time.

> *I only ride on paved surface and well ... it is
> getting darn hot with all this plastic covering the body's joints. I
> am thinking of laying the armour off, but I am not sure. What do you
> guys wear under similar riding conditions?*

Not really sure your riding conditions. A lot has to do with how
aggressive your riding is. Just going from A to B at a gentle pace is a
lot different from aggressive Trials along the way.

I think most of us buy or put on pads after we've had an owie or two. I
bought my first kneepads and gloves after scraping up my palms and knees
a few times. I was one of the only ones wearing them at the 1980
National Unicycle Meet, but they were on because already by that point
(about 9 months of riding) I'd learned that I fell a lot less when I had
them on.

Why fall less with the pads on? I don't know, but I know it was true. Or
maybe I just didn't remember so many falls with them on? No, because my
pads and gloves stayed pretty clean in those days of street riding. It's
just Murphy's law. If you own pads and take them off, that's when you're
most likely to fall and scrape yourself up.

Today I wear a helmet and gloves for my Coker rides to work. I seldom
dismount, so forego the kneepads. When riding trails however, there is
always something on my knees, hands and head. I have three levels of
kneepad:
1. Volleyball kneepads, which are ultra light, comfortable, and fit the
minimum requirement for unicycle competition. These are great for racing
(except on rough terrain), but offer minimal protection in a crash.
2. Plastic hard-shell kneepads. These are also fairly light, and can be
worn for quite a while before they start wearing holes in my knees. Good
for general riding on rough terrain.
3. Roach leg armor. Good for any extreme terrain, or when trying new
things. Yes they're a little hotter and chafe a little more, but they
have protected me and that's worth it.

I always keep the palms covered, because I hate scraping up my palms.
Also they protect my hands from all that seat holding and resting my
weight on them.

And as for the head, I prefer not taking a chance on a brain injury.
Plus my helmets are comfortable, and protect my wide expanse of scalp
from the sun. My head will sweat anyway, so what if the helmet makes it
sweat slightly more?

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Beer me." -- Scot Cooper, at the end of a group ride all the way up and
all the way down Mt. Diablo (3300'), a 20 mile round trip of road and
trail.