Armstong To Pound

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Lafferty, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/040304/5/3of2d.html

    It's more of the tired and worn "I never tested positive," "We're the most tested Sport/race in the
    world," "We've cleaned the sport up" mantra. Earth to Krispy, the sport has a problem. Give Bassons
    or Willie a call some time.

    Tags:

  2. Jim Gravity

    Jim Gravity Guest

    "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/040304/5/3of2d.html
    >
    > It's more of the tired and worn "I never tested positive," "We're the most tested Sport/race in
    > the world," "We've cleaned the sport up" mantra. Earth to Krispy, the sport has a problem. Give
    > Bassons or Willie a call some time.

    If he strokes the credibility of the system, he's less likely to be thoroughly tested.

    "These guys are great! Great job guys, keep up the good work. Here's my sample."

  3. Brian Roth

    Brian Roth Guest

    "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/040304/5/3of2d.html
    >
    > It's more of the tired and worn "I never tested positive," "We're the most tested Sport/race in
    > the world," "We've cleaned the sport up" mantra. Earth to Krispy, the sport has a problem. Give
    > Bassons or Willie a call some time.

    It's not tired and worn if you print the whole quote:

    "I have never had a single positive doping test, and I do not take performance enhancing drugs."

    There is no ambiguity in his statements regarding himself.

  4. Trg

    Trg Guest

    jim gravity wrote:
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/040304/5/3of2d.html
    >>
    >> It's more of the tired and worn "I never tested positive," "We're the most tested Sport/race in
    >> the world," "We've cleaned the sport up" mantra. Earth to Krispy, the sport has a problem. Give
    >> Bassons or Willie a call some time.
    >
    > If he strokes the credibility of the system, he's less likely to be thoroughly tested.

    You think that pissing off the president of WADA by publicly berating him is Lance's way to get
    tested less?

  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Did the French AP release not include the entire text?

    i.e. "I believe that I am the most tested athlete on this planet, I have never had a single positive
    doping test, and I do not take performance enhancing drugs."

    Shame on him if he is lying but the last assertion in that sentence is far from "tired and worn"
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/mar04/mar05news2

    > http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/040304/5/3of2d.html
    >
    > It's more of the tired and worn "I never tested positive," "We're the most tested Sport/race in
    > the world," "We've cleaned the sport up" mantra. Earth to Krispy, the sport has a problem. Give
    > Bassons or Willie a call some time.

  6. Jim Gravity

    Jim Gravity Guest

    "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > jim gravity wrote:
    > > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/040304/5/3of2d.html
    > >>
    > >> It's more of the tired and worn "I never tested positive," "We're the most tested Sport/race in
    > >> the world," "We've cleaned the sport up" mantra. Earth to Krispy, the sport has a problem. Give
    > >> Bassons or Willie a call some time.
    > >
    > > If he strokes the credibility of the system, he's less likely to be thoroughly tested.
    >

    > You think that pissing off the president of WADA by publicly berating him is Lance's way to get
    > tested less?

    No, my problem is that I can't read French.

  7. Jim Gravity

    Jim Gravity Guest

    "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > jim gravity wrote:
    > > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/040304/5/3of2d.html
    > >>
    > >> It's more of the tired and worn "I never tested positive," "We're the most tested Sport/race in
    > >> the world," "We've cleaned the sport up" mantra. Earth to Krispy, the sport has a problem. Give
    > >> Bassons or Willie a call some time.
    > >
    > > If he strokes the credibility of the system, he's less likely to be thoroughly tested.
    >

    > You think that pissing off the president of WADA by publicly berating him is Lance's way to get
    > tested less?

    No, my problem is that I can't read French.

    This is proof positive that Lance isn't a doper.

  8. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: "B. Lafferty" [email protected]

    >It's more of the tired and worn "I never tested positive," "We're the most tested Sport/race in the
    >world," "We've cleaned the sport up" mantra. Earth to Krispy, the sport has a problem. Give Bassons
    >or Willie a call some time.

    Brian, It's still innocent until proven guilty as far as I know about here. Lance probably is the
    most tested athlete in the world. What I got from Pound's statement was that all procyclist are
    doping, we just haven't caught them yet. I have a problem with that attitude. Bill C

  9. brian roth wrote:
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/040304/5/3of2d.html
    >>
    >>It's more of the tired and worn "I never tested positive," "We're the most tested Sport/race in
    >>the world," "We've cleaned the sport up" mantra. Earth to Krispy, the sport has a problem. Give
    >>Bassons or Willie a call some time.
    >

    > It's not tired and worn if you print the whole quote:
    >
    > "I have never had a single positive doping test, and I do not take performance enhancing drugs."
    >
    > There is no ambiguity in his statements regarding himself.

    Except when you consider:
    a) One should always be wary of compound sentences.
    b) He did have a positive test for a corticosteroid, although he did have a licence for the salve.

  10. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > >From: "B. Lafferty" [email protected]
    >
    > >It's more of the tired and worn "I never tested
    > >positive," "We're the
    most
    > >tested Sport/race in the world," "We've cleaned the sport
    > >up" mantra. Earth to Krispy, the sport has a problem.
    > >Give Bassons or Willie a call some time.
    >
    > Brian, It's still innocent until proven guilty as far as
    > I know about
    here.
    > Lance probably is the most tested athlete in the world.
    > What I got from
    Pound's
    > statement was that all procyclist are doping, we just
    > haven't caught them
    yet.
    > I have a problem with that attitude. Bill C

    What Pound was noting was the fact that drugs are being used
    in the TdF. That and the political war that is being waged
    by Hein to be able to blunt sanctions required by WADA;
    sanctions which are intended to be consistent throughout all
    countries and all sports.

    As to drugs in the TdF, Pound's statement is accurate. One
    rider in the 2003 Tour tested positive for EPO. We know
    from blood profiles and statements of riders that blood
    boosting was being practiced during the Tour. In response
    to this the UCI has announced that it will be using an
    Aussie developed test to detect the more traditional form
    of blood boosting. Add to that the recent Cofidis
    disclosures (notes in Pound's reply to Armstrong) and you
    can see that cycling does have a problem.

    After all that has happened in cycling regarding drugs since
    1998, Armstrong's own equivocations over the Actovegin issue
    ("Actiosomething") and his lambasting of Bassons, I would
    have to agree with Pound that Mr. Armstrong is acting quite
    disingenuously in sending off his letter.

    As to Krispy, I think the man protests too much. From a pr
    standpoint it tends to me him, and the riders, look like
    they have something to hide.

    Btw, do you think Krispy contacted all the other pro
    riders before claiming to speak for them? Somehow, I doubt
    that he did.

  11. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > >From: "B. Lafferty" [email protected]
    >
    > >Btw, do you think Krispy contacted all the other pro
    > >riders before
    claiming
    > >to speak for them? Somehow, I doubt that he did.
    > >

    > From all the analysis of what Pound said I think that he
    > purposely used a vague wording so that he could voice his
    > opinion that ALL TDF riders are doping, ..........

    Not logical.

    > He's eventually gonna piss off some of the big money
    > soccer types if he
    keeps
    > taking shots, then he'll be gone. As long as he sticks to
    > hammering
    cycling and
    > doing very little to the other sports he's fine. Most of
    > the french press
    will
    > support any assertion he makes even if there is no proof
    > at all. I find it pretty irresponsible for someone who is
    > supposed to be running an
    impartial
    > agency to be making the statements he has. I'd equate it
    > to a judge saying "Bring the guilty bastards in here, and
    > lets take care of them." Bill C

    He's certainly going to piss of people in the businesses
    (sports) because these are money making ventures. That's the
    nature of the job. Either sport declares all competition
    open to any and all doping, or it runs the risk of
    destroying itself as the Tour nearly did in 1998. The issue
    here is one of resistance by the UCI to signing on with the
    WADA sanctions that call for a two year ban for the first
    offense. Verbruggen went on record several years ago
    opposing such bans on the ground that they could effectively
    end a cyclist's career (well, yeah!). I recall that he also
    made some bogus claims at the time about the UCI running
    afoul of EU employment law by depriving workers (the pro
    cyclists) of the "right" to work.

    Clearly, Hein lacks credibility with Pound and WADA on the
    drug front, and with good reason. It's too bad that
    Armstrong is playing ball with the UCI even though Armstrong
    says that he supports WADA. [ "WADA is an organization of
    action, it's not a PR organization. I am a huge advocate of
    WADA, USADA, drug controls, random controls, out of
    competition controls."--CyclingNews 3/6/04] It would be nice
    to hear him state loudly and frequently that the UCI should
    sign on with WADA and that he will sign on to the same
    health profiling that French riders are required to submit
    to. But that's not where the Krispy Creme is filled in
    cycling and one suspects that he knows it.

  12. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > >From: "B. Lafferty" [email protected]
    >
    > >It's more of the tired and worn "I never tested
    > >positive," "We're the
    most
    > >tested Sport/race in the world," "We've cleaned the sport
    > >up" mantra. Earth to Krispy, the sport has a problem.
    > >Give Bassons or Willie a call some time.
    >
    > Brian, It's still innocent until proven guilty as far as
    > I know about
    here.
    > Lance probably is the most tested athlete in the world.
    > What I got from
    Pound's
    > statement was that all procyclist are doping, we just
    > haven't caught them
    yet.
    > I have a problem with that attitude. Bill C

    If this is what Pound says about cycling imagine what he'd
    say about marathon runners or heavy weight lifters. My guess
    is there has NEVER been a clean heavy weight lifter in the
    last 20 years.

  13. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > brian roth wrote:
    > > "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]
    nk.net>...

    > >>http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/040304/5/3of2d.html
    > >>
    > >>It's more of the tired and worn "I never tested
    > >>positive," "We're the
    most
    > >>tested Sport/race in the world," "We've cleaned the
    > >>sport up" mantra. Earth to Krispy, the sport has a
    > >>problem. Give Bassons or Willie a call some time.
    > >

    > > It's not tired and worn if you print the whole quote:
    > >
    > > "I have never had a single positive doping test, and I
    > > do not take performance enhancing drugs."
    > >
    > > There is no ambiguity in his statements regarding
    > > himself.
    >
    > Except when you consider:
    > a) One should always be wary of compound sentences.
    > b) He did have a positive test for a corticosteroid,
    > although he did have a licence for the salve.

    I suppose someone should lead you to understand that
    "no positive test" means that there IS NO material that
    is illegal.

  14. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Brian, why don't you open the June cycle Sport and see what
    advice Moreno Argentin has. Perhaps, just perhaps, he has a
    better perspective on the matter than some clown that
    belongs to the Bar Association in the USA.

    "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:qQl2-
    [email protected]

    > "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > m19.aol.com...
    > > >From: "B. Lafferty" [email protected]
    > >
    > > >It's more of the tired and worn "I never tested
    > > >positive," "We're the
    > most
    > > >tested Sport/race in the world," "We've cleaned the
    > > >sport up" mantra. Earth to Krispy, the sport has a
    > > >problem. Give Bassons or Willie a
    call
    > > >some time.
    > >
    > > Brian, It's still innocent until proven guilty as far
    > > as I know about
    > here.
    > > Lance probably is the most tested athlete in the world.
    > > What I got from
    > Pound's
    > > statement was that all procyclist are doping, we just
    > > haven't caught
    them