Armstrong, 13 minuets Back After Stage 8

f1943r

Dec 27, 2006
When Lance is riding the long climbs and he is lost in his thoughts he must be thinking back to the tour when he was over 30 minuets out of the Yellow Jersey going into the mountains and three days latter he was in the Yellow Jersey. The Armstrong of just a few years ago could make up 13 minuets in one mountain stage. A 38 year old Lance is a better cyclist than 90 % of the peloton

Hello,

I just bought a 2007 Trek 1500 bike and would like to raise the handlebars so I don't have to bend over so much. There are currently 3 spacers on the headset, is it possible to add some more to make it a bit higher?

-Shawn

One option may be to flip the stem over so the angle is going up. I would not recommend adding spacers unless there is a couple of spacers on the top of your stem. If there is you can move them below your stem and still have your stem clamped properly to your steerer tube.

You can add spacers up to 30mm or 40mm MAX. below the stem, assuming you still enough steerer tube left so that the top of the stem is 3 or 4mm above the top of the steerer tube or get a stem with a steeper rise: 17, 25, 30, 35, 40 degrees. Torelli Bormio stem goes up to 30 degrees and it's light. Or just get an adjustable stem...
If it's a carbon steerer it's better to have at least a 5mm spacer ABOVE the stem...