Armstrong abandons independent testing, publication of blood values

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
It's good this has been resolved :)

cyclingnews.com said:
The Radioshack team run by Johan Bruyneel and Lance Armstrong will not be using the services of Dr. Rasmus Damsgaard, the anti-doping tester who initiated team-based programs with Team CSC/Saxo Bank two years ago, and Armstrong will not be publishing his blood values publicly.

Armstrong explained at the team press conference in Arizona last week that relying on the UCI's biological passport program is sufficient now that it has become more robust.

When Armstrong announced his comeback, the program was still in its infancy. At that time, Armstrong initiated his own anti-doping testing program with Dr. Don Catlin of UCLA, but later abandoned both the testing and the publication of his testing values on his web site, a move which drew some criticism.
Armstrong Abandons Independent Testing, Publication Of Blood Values | Cyclingnews.com

one thing that struck me is that armstrong cannot change his spots. for all his fame, all the doping tests & his protestations of innocence he still feels it necessary to take a swipe at the intelligence/abilities of the danish scientist who questioned lance's blood values earlier this year. true to form, lance wouldn't do even that by name, probably fearing being hauled to court to defend his statements.

all told, the worth of lance's carnival is the proof of oscar wilde's maxim that the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

slovakguy said:
one thing that struck me is that armstrong cannot change his spots. for all his fame, all the doping tests & his protestations of innocence he still feels it necessary to take a swipe at the intelligence/abilities of the danish scientist who questioned lance's blood values earlier this year. true to form, lance wouldn't do even that by name, probably fearing being hauled to court to defend his statements.

all told, the worth of lance's carnival is the proof of oscar wilde's maxim that the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

honestly who cares if he's stoped it, it's not like he has to do it. He's still going to get tested as much if not more than anyone else. Everyone is in the same boat, dopers or not.

Problem is that UCI has a history to cover Lance, but of course we have already seen that biopassport just limited blood doping.

So probably next year, he will go further...he has already an incredible physiology allowing to race with dehydration or illness and being competitive!

Scotttri said:
honestly who cares if he's stoped it, it's not like he has to do it. He's still going to get tested as much if not more than anyone else. Everyone is in the same boat, dopers or not.

my issue isn't whether he's doping or not. it is really how he keeps showing how little class he has. he behaves like the sarah palin of the cycling community (more the reverse, i suppose, since he's been at this sort of behaviour a few years longer). he'll run out, heave a few stones at those he feels have criticised or impugned him (like the way he and the hog keep throwing insults contador's way and then get all huffy when contador responds?) and then scurry back into his fortress before any more questions have been asked. really, couldn't they have just handled it like barney riis and saxo? just send out the announcement that the relationship with damsgaard is over?

slovakguy said:
my issue isn't whether he's doping or not. it is really how he keeps showing how little class he has. he behaves like the sarah palin of the cycling community (more the reverse, i suppose, since he's been at this sort of behaviour a few years longer). he'll run out, heave a few stones at those he feels have criticised or impugned him (like the way he and the hog keep throwing insults contador's way and then get all huffy when contador responds?) and then scurry back into his fortress before any more questions have been asked. really, couldn't they have just handled it like barney riis and saxo? just send out the announcement that the relationship with damsgaard is over?

It's all gamesmenship, all talk, unfortunately for Armstrong Contador won last year, the talk will continue until the end of this years tour, when one of them ( likely Contador ) will beat the other and silence them. Personally i'd like someone other than the two to win though.

slovakguy said:
it is really how he keeps showing how little class he has. . . . he'll run out, heave a few stones at those he feels have criticised or impugned him (like the way he and the hog keep throwing insults contador's way and then get all huffy when contador responds?) and then scurry back into his fortress before any more questions have been asked.
Exactly.

Not sure what tyou mean about Armstrong being classless. I sure haven't seen much of it. He is in front front the media most all of the time with thousands of interactions, videos, pics, tweets, emails, news stories and I have never seen him take a swing at a reporter like Cadel Evans did.

You want classless how about riding Kloden off your wheel and off the podium when he was no threat to win just to show everyone how strong you are, and potty mouthing Armstrong an essentially the team afterward.

hpearson said:
You want classless how about riding Kloden off your wheel and off the podium . . .
Here we go again. Red herring. I'm outta here.

Bobcat,

So you have covered this! Brand new, first post. I will try and catch up fast.

:D

Can some on point me to the insults by Armstrong to Cantador. The only thing I have heard a little negative was "he should stop all this dribble and thank his team"

Outside of that I have not seen anything.

Thanks

hpearson said:
Not sure what tyou mean about Armstrong being classless. I sure haven't seen much of it. He is in front front the media most all of the time with thousands of interactions, videos, pics, tweets, emails, news stories and I have never seen him take a swing at a reporter like Cadel Evans did.

You want classless how about riding Kloden off your wheel and off the podium when he was no threat to win just to show everyone how strong you are, and potty mouthing Armstrong an essentially the team afterward.

Kloden is no angel either. He and Ulrich worked Vino over when they were all on the T-Mobile squad. He even had a go at Ulrich himself. What goes around...

... but using comparisons to others when discussing someone is kinda lame.

Lame like Cadel's punch. The guy should take lessons from Bernard Hinault on how to work someone over whilst wearing cycling shoes. I mean, the guy had a broken nose, a couple of black eyes, bruised ribs, coming down with a chest infection and was struggling to keep hold of the yellow jersey and still had fight in him than all of the current pro peloton put together... There was at least one reporter who had his clock punched and lights turned off at the end of a stage in that particular Tour (85). More recently the guy has been better known for wrestling and mercilessly shoving d1ckwads off the podium during the after stage prize presentations.

The topic is not Contador or Evans or Kloden or Hinault, or even the '09 Tour de France. It's about Team Radio Shack terminating independent blood testing. Anything else is off-topic and has been covered and resolved ;) by this forum last August.

Some good reasons to stop publication of his values : :rolleyes:

A comparaison between Lance Armstrong hematocrit and a1999 french team when EPO were still used !

picture.php

picture.php

Bobcat,

Thats what its says on the subject line but looking back through the thread it seems the topic is that LA is classless.

Just and observation.

hpearson said:
Bobcat,
looking back through the thread it seems the topic is that LA is classless.

An arguable but plausible conclusion that could be drawn from the details supporting the subject line.