Armstrong AP Athlete of the Year 2005

DiabloScott

May 15, 2003
Three years in a row.

I predict the first "bike racing's not a real sport" column will be in tomorrow's papers - Friday at the latest.

DiabloScott said:
Three years in a row.

I predict the first "bike racing's not a real sport" column will be in tomorrow's papers - Friday at the latest.

Yes, I can hear Ralph and Tom already (KNBR 680 radio). "Cycling isn't a sport, how can they have a cyclist as the Athlete of the Year", "This award should go to a Full Back or Point Guard".

Same story ever time world class runner's or cyclist's are nominated. He's just riding a bike ? He he !

Lw

DiabloScott said:
Three years in a row.

The first thing I heard when I got in my car last night to go home - "How could they have nominated a Cyclist as the Athlete of the year again ?" - " Shoulda gone to Tiger Woods or Reggie Bush!"

The funny thing is, he (the commentator) thought Tiger should have won the award and justified it by saying "Golf was an athletic sport because all of the golfers now run, stretch and strength train" and then he poo-pood Annika Sorenstams AP award for not being athletic enough.:confused:

Lw

lwedge said:
The first thing I heard when I got in my car last night to go home - "How could they have nominated a Cyclist as the Athlete of the year again ?" - " Shoulda gone to Tiger Woods or Reggie Bush!"

The funny thing is, he (the commentator) thought Tiger should have won the award and justified it by saying "Golf was an athletic sport because all of the golfers now run, stretch and strength train" and then he poo-pood Annika Sorenstams AP award for not being athletic enough.:confused:

Lw

BTW, my mistake, but it was FOUR years in a row. Michael Jordon got three in a row, Tiger Woods got three not in a row. Lance is still setting records.

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/apathloy.shtml

Also, check out 1948's winner: "Lou Boudreau"

Fark Armstrong he's retired... what about Ullrich and his thoughts on kids with no presents for Christmas.....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/dec05/dec26news

The next training camp will be the team's official training camp on Mallorca, starting January 10. On his website, www.janullrich.de, Ullrich says, "The last four weeks were very satisfactory," and not only from a sporting point of view. "In this time I got to know many new people and gained new experiences. The difference between the rich and poor is especially large in South Africa. The many millions of people in the townships struggle every day to have the simplest things in life. I especially think about that when I wrap the Christmas presents for my loved ones. I think that each of us should do his part to battle against the misery in the world."

DiabloScott said:
BTW, my mistake, but it was FOUR years in a row. Michael Jordon got three in a row, Tiger Woods got three not in a row. Lance is still setting records.

whiteboytrash said:
Fark Armstrong he's retired... what about Ullrich and his thoughts on kids with no presents for Christmas.....

Besonders in Südafrika ist der Unterschied zwischen Arm und Reich besonders groß. Die vielen Millionen Menschen in den Town Ships kämpfen jeden Tag um die einfachsten Dinge zum Leben.

Jan puts up some nice stuff on his diary, real human introspective stuff inside and outside of bike racing. Start another thread for that. I started this thread as a comment on how Armstrong's award would be perceived by the mainstream US media, not as a Lance chamois sniffer.

Also Jan's TdF win was voted as the most moving moment in German sports history - I find that almost as interesting.

DiabloScott said:
Besonders in Südafrika ist der Unterschied zwischen Arm und Reich besonders groß. Die vielen Millionen Menschen in den Town Ships kämpfen jeden Tag um die einfachsten Dinge zum Leben.

Jan puts up some nice stuff on his diary, real human introspective stuff inside and outside of bike racing. Start another thread for that. I started this thread as a comment on how Armstrong's award would be perceived by the mainstream US media, not as a Lance chamois sniffer.

Also Jan's TdF win was voted as the most moving moment in German sports history - I find that almost as interesting.
Chamois sniffer??? That's quite an image:eek:

Aside from whether or not I think Lance deserved the award, it did bring up the tiresome debate about whether cycling is a sport on the local sports talk radio show. By the end of the day, professional bowlers were calling the radio to defend bowling as a sport over golf. Argghh.

The hilarious piece to the debate is that they kept wheeling out sportswriter after sportswriter to comment. One would say cycling is not a sport because there is no hand eye coordination, the next would say how hard the tour is and how he deserves the award because of that. The host would then ask each of them if they have ever watched any cycling. They universally said no. I guess being a sportswriter is one of the many professions that encourages people to have strong detailed opinions on topics about which they know absolutely nothing.

barnstorm said:
Aside from whether or not I think Lance deserved the award, it did bring up the tiresome debate about whether cycling is a sport on the local sports talk radio show. By the end of the day, professional bowlers were calling the radio to defend bowling as a sport over golf. Argghh.

The hilarious piece to the debate is that they kept wheeling out sportswriter after sportswriter to comment. One would say cycling is not a sport because there is no hand eye coordination, the next would say how hard the tour is and how he deserves the award because of that. The host would then ask each of them if they have ever watched any cycling. They universally said no. I guess being a sportswriter is one of the many professions that encourages people to have strong detailed opinions on topics about which they know absolutely nothing.
How about naming the award Sportsman or Sportswoman of the year.

sport (spôrt, sport) n.

a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.

ath·lete n.
A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

I never thought that I'd see myself posting this...but here goes.

Armstrong was voted the 2005 athlete of the year by Marca newspaper in Spain.
He beat Spains first Formula 1 world racing champ in many years, Fernando
Alonso in to second place.

You can now pick yourselves back up off the floor.

limerickman said:

It is interesting how the outcome of these votes go every year....

I'm pretty happy with this outcome though - 'Roger Federer was named the 2005 Outstanding Athlete of the Year by the United States Sports Academey'.

The voting process goes like this.

Each month, the United States Sports Academy selects an Athlete of the Month based on an athlete's performance from the preceding month. At the end of the year, all 12 monthly selections are used to formulate the Athlete of the Year ballot, which is presented worldwide via the web from 1 through 24 December. The ballot, run in conjunction with USA Today, attracts tens of thousands of votes from sports fans around the globe.
The top vote getter — male or female — is awarded the Outstanding Athlete of the Year Award. The next highest male/female vote getters are named the Male and Female Athletes of the Year, respectively.

limerickman said:

I was never on the floor. Lance was an obvious choice.
Oops, I forgot.
You must have voted for Heras.
he he

Happy New Year

hombredesubaru said:
Oops, I forgot.
he he

Happy New Year

I'd have been on the floor if he said "Lance deserved it", but all he did was say "he got it".

hombredesubaru said:
Oops, I forgot.
he he

Happy New Year

Err, Happy New Year.

DiabloScott said:

First off, WHAT ABOUT LOU BOUDREAU!?!?:mad: An excellent player and one of the best broadcasters the Chicago Cubs ever had.

Anyway, DS is right, but, with all do respect to Tiger Woods and all the other golfers in the world, how could anyone 'cheer' golf as a sport and 'jeer' cycling as a sport? Woods and Armstrong...both are great athletes in different fields.

Whilst I personally am no Armstrong lover, I find the idea that golf is more of a sport than cycling (especially the idea that it isn't a real sport) a joke. Just who are the idiots who think like this?

Chance3290 said:
First off, WHAT ABOUT LOU BOUDREAU!?!?:mad: An excellent player and one of the best broadcasters the Chicago Cubs ever had.

Well, I'd never heard of him but I'm not much (any) of a baseball historian, and I wasn't trying to make anyone mad - I just noticed his name on the list about the same time as the Boudreaux RIP threads and wondered if that's where JP got his nickname from.

DiabloScott said:
Well, I'd never heard of him but I'm not much (any) of a baseball historian, and I wasn't trying to make anyone mad.
Well, alright then.;) It just that when you've gone since 1907 without a championship...well, we get a little touchy about our players, or in this case, our broadcasters.