Armstrong comeback!

jhuskey said:
Yep, just confirmed Astana, and I am told he will have some guests with him.
Jan?

Rumour has it that Armstrongs, or his representatives, made approaches to several inactive (either retired or forced to retire) riders.
Laurent Jalabert being one rider who's been approached - so I'm told.

If this is the case - an approach to Jan Ullrich would not be a surprise.
Personally I think Ullrich would be better off remaining retired.
Although every man probably has his price..........................

limerickman said:
Rumour has it that Armstrongs, or his representatives, made approaches to several inactive (either retired or forced to retire) riders.
Laurent Jalabert being one rider who's been approached - so I'm told.

If this is the case - an approach to Jan Ullrich would not be a surprise.
Personally I think Ullrich would be better off remaining retired.
Although every man probably has his price..........................

That's the hint I got last week about Jan and Lance and it has just been "sort of" confirmed to me.
Damn, Mussette will **** all over herself.

jhuskey said:
That's the hint I got last week about Jan and Lance and it has just been "sort of" confirmed to me.
Damn, Mussette will **** all over herself.

Her kind spent months, using the Armstrong V Ullrich clash to project their warped xenophobic views of the world.

If it did come to pass that Ullrich and Armstrong rode on the same team, imagine the convoluted waffle from her, that we would have to put up with!?

On a serious note though, I think it would be a mistake for the likes of Ullrich to come out of retirement.
These sort of comebacks don't add anything, I feel.

Jan Ulrich is a drug cheat and fraud.

His fans are as confused as are Nike's LIVE WRONG.

jimmypop said:
Cycling is now on the same level as professional wrestling. Kudos!
Hahaha, did you know Bjorn Borg is playing McEnroe this Saturday in Luxembourg (€ 25.00 per ticket, if anyone interested). So now, and for free, we would have the battle Armstrong vs Ullrich in TDF 2009? Hahahaha

"Hello, this is Moto 1, with the leaders in Montventoux...."
"Hello, this is Moto 3, right behind the group Armstrong/Ullrich. What a battle...blablabla"

I bet they'll be more often on Moto 3 than Moto 1, hahaha

Good one
[I should restart my high jump. Not too late at 44, hmmmm]:D

limerickman said:
Her kind spent months, using the Armstrong V Ullrich clash to project their warped xenophobic views of the world.

If it did come to pass that Ullrich and Armstrong rode on the same team, imagine the convoluted waffle from her, that we would have to put up with!?

On a serious note though, I think it would be a mistake for the likes of Ullrich to come out of retirement.
These sort of comebacks don't add anything, I feel.

I know that they have spoken about it but as far as any contracts being signed, I don't know.
As you know,as in any sport, it's all about the money and it would certainly make a big splash if only for a short time.
I at best have mixed feeling on this. Ullrich had a fast untimely departure. Armstrong on the other hand departed on his own terms.
This is starting to play like an old movie where the old underdog team makes a comeback.

btw: It's not Armstrong vs Ullrich it's Armstrong and Ullrich vs everyone else.

grampi said:
jhuskey, when will we know if Ullrich really wants to make a comeback? Today?

I am not sure my but source hinted last week that Jan and Lance were talking but nothing has been confirmed to me as yet. He also told me that I would be surprised as to who would be retrurning to the TDF with Armstrong and since he had spent the day with Jan I made the assumption it was Jan.
I think this information was given in confidence and maybe the final deal is not made yet . I will keep after him to let me know what is going on. It has me very intrigued.

Ok thx a lot jhuskey, unlike most of you, I think the idea of Armstrong&ullrich against entire fiel is fabolous. We musn't forget the media denied big battle in TDF 2006 and Ullrich still "owes" us one last try.;)

jhuskey said:
I am not sure my but source hinted last week that Jan and Lance were talking but nothing has been confirmed to me as yet. He also told me that I would be surprised as to who would be retrurning to the TDF with Armstrong and since he had spent the day with Jan I made the assumption it was Jan.
I think this information was given in confidence and maybe the final deal is not made yet . I will keep after him to let me know what is going on. It has me very intrigued.
If Jan was to comeback to racing, I wish he would do so on his own terms, not just to give Lance more ammunition. I think he'll stay retired. What does it say if you un-retire just to ride with the biggest doper in cycling?

A cycling squad featuring Hulk Hogan and John Daly could easily defeat both Lance and Ulrich if the TV advertising agreement so stipulated.

TV sport is WWE theater. Doped athletes following a script and off-camera direction.

Seven TDF victories for lance is as clean as the NFL New England Patriots 18:0 season. Diseny, GE, Viacom, NewsCorp, Time Warner's advertisers decide who become mega repeat champions.

Same as in 1958 with NBC sponsored Charles Van Doren, a 19 week winner and cheat of game Show 21.

Empty denials eventually giving way to confessions.

Ullefan said:
If Jan was to comeback to racing, I wish he would do so on his own terms, not just to give Lance more ammunition. I think he'll stay retired. What does it say if you un-retire just to ride with the biggest doper in cycling?

Not sure how I feel about it yet and I don't know if this will happen, but I did get a photo of Jan shot last week on a Trek bike. I thought it was sort of funny until I inquired and started getting hints about him and Armstrong.

jhuskey said:
Not sure how I feel about it yet and I don't know if this will happen, but I did get a photo of Jan shot last week on a Trek bike. I thought it was sort of funny until I inquired and started getting hints about him and Armstrong.
Was he in a texan ranch by any chance?

I like this:

Armstrong also said that 2007 Tour champ Alberto Contador should consider staying with Astana, despite recent comments that the Spanish rider might leave rather than compete with Armstrong for team leadership.

"I think there is room for all of us on that team: myself, Alberto, Levi (Leipheimer) and (team director Johan Bruyneel), who is quite the personality himself," he said. "Alberto is the best rider on the planet right now. We have to understand that, we have to respect that. I'm not sure I can ride that fast anymore. I certainly hope it works out."

"If he has other offers and he wants to go somewhere else or go to a Spanish team, perhaps, that's his decision, but I would encourage him to give this situation an opportunity and I would look forward to racing with him."

- In other words when Contador showed loyalty to Bruyneel by moving to Astana knowing he may not ride the 08 Tour Bruyneel stabs him in the back by now backing Armstrong for the 09 Tour...... what a rat !

Reading above they want Contador to move to another team.... shocking.

Trev_S said:
Contador has won the last 3 Grand Tours he has raced in.
He has the current runs on the board and clearly the form GT rider.
Armstrong has nothing in the last 3 years, what I'd call an unknown factor.

Contador has proved himself, Armstrong has not, years ago yes but nothing in 3 years. (I think he has to prove his worth first otherwise he is just another team rider.)

Perhaps Armstrong should race the Giro and prove he can compete in a Grand Tour again, get a top 5 result and then and only then could possibly be granted no2 in the team.

I think Contador has every right to be ****** off and voice his disapproval.
I hope he ditches Astana and moves on and gives Astana & Armstrong a belting at the TDF.

whiteboytrash said:
I like this:

Armstrong also said that 2007 Tour champ Alberto Contador should consider staying with Astana, despite recent comments that the Spanish rider might leave rather than compete with Armstrong for team leadership.

"I think there is room for all of us on that team: myself, Alberto, Levi (Leipheimer) and (team director Johan Bruyneel), who is quite the personality himself," he said. "Alberto is the best rider on the planet right now. We have to understand that, we have to respect that. I'm not sure I can ride that fast anymore. I certainly hope it works out."

"If he has other offers and he wants to go somewhere else or go to a Spanish team, perhaps, that's his decision, but I would encourage him to give this situation an opportunity and I would look forward to racing with him."

- In other words when Contador showed loyalty to Bruyneel by moving to Astana knowing he may not ride the 08 Tour Bruyneel stabs him in the back by now backing Armstrong for the 09 Tour...... what a rat !

Reading above they want Contador to move to another team.... shocking.
Yawn. Where have I heard this line before? I may be nearly 40 but I hope it works out, lol.

Let's hope he gets on some serious dopage, none of that CERA ****.

Ullefan said:
Your philosophy about doping is very different from the one Jan or any other rider/sportsman has. In this system its just so natural for pro racers to take these things and while I dont like their habit I understand 100% why they will never get rid of doping.
Jan was himself a doper( although I dont really understand how can you dope yourself with your own blood) and what he sees in Armstrong is a man who finished 5 Tours at least 5minutes ahead of him.