Armstrong comeback!

Armstrong vs. Ullrich in 2009 would be great.

I will definitely be watching the TdF again. I think Ullrich would finally beat the American.

Rolfrae said:
The TDF this year was a different beast to the Tours of the Armstrong eras and despite what others on this forum said about it being boring I thought it genuinely exciting (once Ricco and Saunier left).

I'm not so sure the Euro fans would be standing at the roadside cheering his return. Europe quickly got over Lance, breathed a sigh of relief when he retired. The response would be more excited in the US which hasn't quite got over losing him.

Like WBT, I'd also like to see LA comeback to watch him get beaten to a classics sprint by Sylvain Chavanel, or get his **** kicked on a climb by the likes of Vandevelde.

I agree.
I thought that this years TDF was excellent from a cycling fans viewpoint because the overall result was up for grabs right up until the final road stage.
And that sort of situation makes the TDF more compelling and it is better viewing.

In addition spectator numbers at roadside were higher than 2007.
This was probably down to the fact that the racing was more competitive (clean?) and because most of the French riders were doing well in terms of stage finishes and in terms of GC.

if you were believe some.............there was no one watching the 2008 TDF!

limerickman said:
if you were believe some.............there was no one watching the 2008 TDF!
Viewing figures in the US might be down but the Tour will survive even if no one in America watches it.

sopas said:
Armstrong vs. Ullrich in 2009 would be great.

And how about putting Courchevel in the parcours so Lance and Valv.piti can duke it out? AWWWWEEEEESSSSSOOOOMMMMMEEEEE!!!!

I really can't see how the ASO would ever welcome him back to the Tour, especially if he's riding on Bruyneel's team.

Leafer said:
I really can't see how the ASO would ever welcome him back to the Tour, especially if he's riding on Bruyneel's team.

Reading the newspapers the love affair is over..... they really have had enough..... Lance should have read the play a little better... seems like some of the journalists have woken up...... we really can't go back to 1999 again.... it can't be a USPS ****-a-thon again......

www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/cycling/article4720066.ece

Well this something worth watching, he said the pace of the 2008 tour was slow, so he's giving it a go

Will he win ??, that is a big ask but his place in history is fairly secure, I always felt uneasy about him retiring unbeaten. Their was no real passing of the torch like Indurain, Hinault, Merckx.

I mean most people on here remember how and when these guys got beaten almost as much as any highlight in their career.

To see him put under pressure would make pretty good watching, I think his most interesting win was 2003.

It would be a staggering achievement if he were to win but at 38 ?? christ I'm not sure.

Like it or not; believe it or not; whatever you think about the comeback, this thread is most active of all recent threads. That's the Armstrong effect, and I think that's the idea of comeback - he draws attention. But who needs this kind of attention?

ASO? I don't think so.
Armstrong? I've already mentioned he can have attention on so different ways.
US audience? Well, the interest for the Tour after Armstrong years is surely down, but not so dramatic and this "comeback effect" wouldn't last long.

Maybe some sportswear producer? Good marketing move... Rocky 2, 3 , 4...
And, at the end, I'd like to see him riding against Bruyneel and his team, especially after he said he's going to ride for the victory.

ad9898 said:
He's riding for Astana
Glad to see ya. I thought I might have farked you off the last time you were here. That wasn't my intent. I actually think you have a brain.

The bad news is the posting volume has gone down significantly. The good news is that it is mostly due to cranky not posting much anymore.... :D

So once the "no more cranky" gets around... the posting volume should return with interest. Though this post is not helping the rumour spread.

Crankyfeet said:
Glad to see ya. I thought I might have farked you off the last time you were here. That wasn't my intent. I actually think you have a brain.

The bad news is the posting volume has gone down significantly. The good news is that it is mostly due to cranky not posting much anymore.... :D

Nah not farked off, I have a pretty thick skin, I know my views aren't accepted readily here which is fine as if no one opposes you, you don't learn anything, a good argument is good for the soul, you either teach someone something or learn something yourself.

Now go on get stuck in. :D

Maybe he should ride RVV and PR... He'll ride some cyclocross this autumn and he mentioned once, these are the races he'd like to win, but preparing for the Tour didn't allow him to do so.

Or, maybe, he could try Giro, Tour double... With spring classics that would complete his palmares.
He should reconsider his racing schedule.