Armstrong comeback!

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by SLG, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

Could be a very valid point if he was in the 4 faster ones

2. ad9898

ad9898 New Member

A well put argument by a relative newbie (according to post count)......... now guys go easy on him ok. Dont scare him off.
    :D

3. fscyclist

fscyclist New Member

And so will everyone else.

4. fscyclist

fscyclist New Member

The PED race never stopped. It is just evolving and finding new ways to beat the system. How do we know the dopers this year were any different? Maybe they just sucked. In fact I know they sucked, not because they rode the tour 1 mph slower, but because no one had the balls to actually make it a race. There's only so much wheelsucking and lame attacks you can watch. I've seen better Cat 5 races in the US. At least in those races you get to see guys weaving uncontrollably across the road and crash themselves out with no one around.

5. Bike N Ski

Bike N Ski New Member

I think with the Eurotard reference, he wasn't referring to Europe. In America, he was right on the money. Let Media Life spell it out for you(don't try and make a living shooting fish in a barrel).

Viewership was down 18 percent for the 2008 Tour through last Tuesday, according to the most recent Nielsen numbers available, going from an average 171,000 viewers last year to 140,000 this year.

That includes all the Tour dayparts, such as the live morning broadcasts and the taped primetime coverage.

The live segments, starting each day at 8:30 a.m., drew the biggest audience, 264,000, including 100,000 viewers 18-49. That’s compared to an average 343,000 in the morning last year, with 139,000 18-49s.

When the final numbers are out later this week, it will be the least-watched Tour in years, pulling barely half the average 315,000 who tuned in in 2005, the year Lance Armstrong won his last race.

6. poulidor

poulidor New Member

Cyclists or doped athletes? Did they use differents PED?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. lucybears

lucybears New Member

cyclismag.com reports the following: According to a source close to the situation, but who asked to remain anonymous, Jan Ullrich will return to racing next year at the age of 35. He will join Team Columbia, the successor to his previous team T-Mobile. The information was confirmed in an exclusive interview in Super Picsou Géant, which will appear later this month. Jan Ullrich will join the team for free and will pay out his pocket to ride. He will post all his blood values on the internet and on the wall of his house in Switzerland. Questioned on the subject, Ullrich's manager refused to comment.
    http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=4493#ancre1

8. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I sent an e-mail this morning to a friend that is close to Jan. If Jan is talking I will get an answer. If he is not talking I will know no more than I know now..

9. Andrija

Andrija Member

Great!

This is getting more and more interesting... How long will take Vino to publish an announcement.
    Landis will ride for Health Net-Maxxis, so very small possibility for him to ride the Tour.
    We can expect Botero to join the company too (he's still competing so that makes little difference).

For now, this looks very interesting... I'm just hoping Andy Schleck will put them to retirement for good.

10. ad9898

ad9898 New Member

all the old dogs coming out to play, i wonder though can they teach the the new dogs any tricks, I'm sure Jan will be back now, just to race Armstrong

11. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Kloden going to go batty.... he won't know who to chase down or ride for !

12. ad9898

ad9898 New Member

The only thing is, can Jan stay off the steak 'n' kidney and the meat and potatoe :D

13. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

As thick as......................................
    Is this "lease a braincell week", over there in the fish barrel?

Who made any references to American Nielsen viewer numbers?
    Bokkie didn't.
    Re-read the crap he posted.
    He belched out the usual waffle about no one watching the TDF.

Au contraire.

Increased 2008 TDF roadside spectator roadside numbers show that more people watched the TDF, at roadside, than in previous years.

The major TV channels covering the 2008 TDF in Europe show that more people watched the 2008 TDF than ever before.
    For example, Eurosport announced record numbers of viewers throughout the EU/Middle East during the 2008 TDF.

I would also wager that TV/Nielsen data for Australian viewers for 2008 TDF
    were also higher than in previous years.
    Australia's Neilsen figures alone would probably make up any decrease in american numbers.

Throw in the fact that there were more roadside spectators than ever before
    and even the likes of you can do the maths.

Keep fishing

14. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

if Vino decides on a comeback..................................

But seriously.

My information is that none of the riders from the 1998-2006 generation, who have retired, would be welcomed back.
    My contact tells me that the UCI would not welcome the re-instatement of these riders.
    Even if it did help the UCI, in their civil war with the GT race owners, the UCI would not welcome their participation.

The same source tells me that the ASO will almost certainly not want anyone remotely connected with 1998 - 2006, back racing in the races that they control, either.

The flight of sponsors from the sport dictates everything..............and those riders under a cloud from 1999 - 2006 are still way too toxic.

15. lucybears

lucybears New Member

Super Picsou Géant - one of my favourite reads...

16. poulidor

poulidor New Member

It's Picsou[​IMG]

17. musette

musette New Member

This is wonderful news! :p

The big loser within Astana if LA starts 09Tour is Levi. He, just like AC and Klodie, will have to become LA's domestique. AC is young, and has many Tours ahead of him after 09.

18. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Lim I'm with you on this but what worries me is Armstrong will run with the "Cancer Cure Crusade Team 2009" and have President Obama force ASO let the Astana Cures Cancer Team ride in the 2009 Tour.

Prudhomme is cautious but I get the feeling he will have to let them in.

19. drm

drm New Member

If they actually name it the Astana Cures Cancer team I'll literally Vomit.

20. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Obama is going to be the ASO president?