Armstrong comeback!

SLG said:
I love this.....

"and will race for no salary or bonuses, the sources, who asked to remain anonymous, told VeloNews. "

"However sources close to the story have told VeloNews that an exclusive article on the matter will be published in an upcoming issue of Vanity Fair."

- So no salary but a $3million deal with Vanity Fair ? Why have the team pay you when someone else can ? ahhhh he's so good to the team.......

...this will be the biggest flop since Bjorg came back a couple of years back.

The bit about publishing all his blood results online is interesting. One motive here (along with all the bucks) could be to look after his legacy by showing he's clean, at least in 2009. He's got nothing to prove and can point to his age and lack of training to explain any bad results.

If this happens though, I fancy he's going to still think he can win something. The guy'll be racing someone in something until he dies.

Well, Jan is training at the moment for a fact. His races will be several charity races the first October 3 in Stuttgart.
I believe it is a retirement/farewell race in honor of Weseman.
I would love to see an Artmstrong vs Ullrich race one more time and not a wheelchair race so................ sometime soon.

I don't know what to think and expect...
When I saw the title, I thought he's planning to ride some local and national races for some continental team, but he plans to ride the Tour with Astana... I don't know what's the idea.

To prove he's clean? It won't be a problem - he's not going for a victory.
To draw attention? He can do so on many different ways.
To help Contador? Astana's already very strong.

It would be nice to see Jan, Basso, Vino riding next year's Tour, so we could compare new clean generation with old (now truly old) dirty generation.

Maybe Eddie can come out of retirement too...

Then we can see a really old generation against the new one. ;)

I think Lance should stick to other things. Laurent Jalabert needs some competition in the triathlons...

I'm not a LA fan, but I will admit that if anyone could launch a successful comeback it would be Lance. His pride, arrogance, and ego are such that anything but absolute success would be totally out of the question...

Undoubtedly, pro cycling needs this type of publicity, and him in particular - especially in America...

I know I'm only stating the obvious but this only means he's clean for this tour (if it even means that, and I'm not sure it does).

For those who know more than me...what does this mean for Contador. Will he be riding for Lance now? I can't possibly believe that he would support someone else. Also, is Astana going for the entire top 5? Yeesh.

I think we are group of naives if we believe the comeback will really happen, even in mentioned shape.

OK, if it happens

drm said:
...what does this mean for Contador. Will he be riding for Lance now? I can't possibly believe that he would support someone else. Also, is Astana going for the entire top 5? Yeesh.

I think he'd help Contador, ride clean (remember that legacy), ease back and maybe go for the odd stage in the tour and look at some of the other races.

No they won't get the top five, Evans is bound to finish second again.

zlatan said:
the big qusestion is will aso let astana ride tdf 2009?

Yeah, funny the rumour assumes they will. The media bonanza would be worth so much though that the ASO will be dizzy at the prospect. Plus it wouldn't just be Lance or the ASO making money...

I don't think it will materialise but stranger things and all that....

Oh well, give you guys something to talk about.... After all, This Forum is Dying!... Right ?

:p

If Armstrong, Ulle, LeMond, Hinault...etc. come out of retirement.... Maybe AARP would be interested in sponsoring a team.

-lw

tonyzackery said:
Undoubtedly, pro cycling needs this type of publicity, and him in particular - especially in America...
And elsewhere cycling would have a good publicity with a lot of statement about his 6 samples!
Lance would have to respond to many question about doping...

What? Is he getting too tired of riding women?

Oh well, time to dust off the PED's.