Armstrong comeback!

ad9898 said:
I understand that, I didn't say it, HE said it was slow. Just on that point what were the 4 that were faster and was Armstrong involved ?
Could be a very valid point if he was in the 4 faster ones

nonns said:
Suspend your thoughts for one moment as to whether he took peds or not. He was never caught.

Personally I believe Lance used to win because broadly he was physically competitive. He was robust and consistent. His bike handling was awesome. His preparation was meticulous. He didn't try to do too much. His team was a huge benefit. He got everything together in a way that few others have managed. I still think the killer component was that he simply believed he owned the Tour. I will win this race because its mine. What you're attacking me?! But I will make you pay......

That was then but this is now. Can he win again? Look at whats against him

2 years out (he's still fit but there's fit and there's fit!). Though that mountain bike race he finished 2nd in was pretty tough and at quite a high level. He's obviously lost none of the bike handling skills and can compete individually.
Many other riders now pursue broadly similiar training to the new methods Lance brought in so that advantage is now somewhat limited.
Lance will be 37 and presumably has lost some ability to recover/some power also. Will he still be able to do those explosive uphill bursts and lose the likes of Contador/Sastre?
He will be marked like never before. Can you see him getting so much as a bike length on the pack without being blocked/marked/jumped on.
Which top riders will ride for him. Ok Hincapie and Contador might but the rest? Lepheimer? Sastre? I doubt it.

I could see him doing well but unless he assembles the most fantabulous team around him I think he will find it very hard indeed.

I must confess I don't see what he has to gain. I think this is a high stakes gamble. I would say tho' that watching some interviews with him he obviously loves to ride at a high level. He sounded almost sad when he was saying he couldn't fit the cycling in so had to run instead and it wasn't the same. If he even finsihes in the top 10 I think that would be a triumph after two years out at 37. Lets face it Cadel Evans couldn't do it without a break (his chances in 2009 must now be even slimmer). Can you imagine the pressure Lance will be under.

As a fellow bike rider (not quite in the same shape I'll admit) I wish him all the best. I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the Cadel Evans house when the announcement was made.

BTW for all those that believe that Lance was a Doper have you considered that you're wrong. He might be an alien instead. I wonder how the UCI would view that.

A well put argument by a relative newbie (according to post count)......... now guys go easy on him ok. Dont scare him off.
:D

poulidor said:
Yes an usual doped Lance would have won the last TDF where dopers were on a smallest program than the precedent years. So Lance's judgement is false and stupid, his come-back, especially when annoucing the will to win, is very bad for cycling. The pharmacy and the race to PED is back too!

As we have seen in Beijing new PEDs and/or gene doping are available. That is probably what want to use Lance...
We already need DNA comparaison with his first ball.:D
The PED race never stopped. It is just evolving and finding new ways to beat the system. How do we know the dopers this year were any different? Maybe they just sucked. In fact I know they sucked, not because they rode the tour 1 mph slower, but because no one had the balls to actually make it a race. There's only so much wheelsucking and lame attacks you can watch. I've seen better Cat 5 races in the US. At least in those races you get to see guys weaving uncontrollably across the road and crash themselves out with no one around.

limerickman said:
The huge numbers of roadside spectators and the increased TV Nielsen figures for TDF 2008 - as ever - state different.

Oh dear.
Let me spell it out for you.

2008 TDF was the fifth fastest TDF, in the 95 editions of the race, since 1903.

Shooting fish in the proverbial barrel.
I think with the Eurotard reference, he wasn't referring to Europe. In America, he was right on the money. Let Media Life spell it out for you(don't try and make a living shooting fish in a barrel).

Viewership was down 18 percent for the 2008 Tour through last Tuesday, according to the most recent Nielsen numbers available, going from an average 171,000 viewers last year to 140,000 this year.

That includes all the Tour dayparts, such as the live morning broadcasts and the taped primetime coverage.

The live segments, starting each day at 8:30 a.m., drew the biggest audience, 264,000, including 100,000 viewers 18-49. That’s compared to an average 343,000 in the morning last year, with 139,000 18-49s.

When the final numbers are out later this week, it will be the least-watched Tour in years, pulling barely half the average 315,000 who tuned in in 2005, the year Lance Armstrong won his last race.

Cyclists or doped athletes? Did they use differents PED?
lance%20arm.jpg
rasmussen.jpg

jhuskey said:
Well, Jan is training at the moment for a fact. His races will be several charity races the first October 3 in Stuttgart.
I believe it is a retirement/farewell race in honor of Weseman.
I would love to see an Artmstrong vs Ullrich race one more time and not a wheelchair race so................ sometime soon.
cyclismag.com reports the following: According to a source close to the situation, but who asked to remain anonymous, Jan Ullrich will return to racing next year at the age of 35. He will join Team Columbia, the successor to his previous team T-Mobile. The information was confirmed in an exclusive interview in Super Picsou Géant, which will appear later this month. Jan Ullrich will join the team for free and will pay out his pocket to ride. He will post all his blood values on the internet and on the wall of his house in Switzerland. Questioned on the subject, Ullrich's manager refused to comment.
http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=4493#ancre1

lucybears said:
cyclismag.com reports the following: According to a source close to the situation, but who asked to remain anonymous, Jan Ullrich will return to racing next year at the age of 35. He will join Team Columbia, the successor to his previous team T-Mobile. The information was confirmed in an exclusive interview in Super Picsou Géant, which will appear later this month. Jan Ullrich will join the team for free and will pay out his pocket to ride. He will post all his blood values on the internet and on the wall of his house in Switzerland. Questioned on the subject, Ullrich's manager refused to comment.
http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=4493#ancre1

I sent an e-mail this morning to a friend that is close to Jan. If Jan is talking I will get an answer. If he is not talking I will know no more than I know now..

Great!

This is getting more and more interesting... How long will take Vino to publish an announcement.
Landis will ride for Health Net-Maxxis, so very small possibility for him to ride the Tour.
We can expect Botero to join the company too (he's still competing so that makes little difference).

For now, this looks very interesting... I'm just hoping Andy Schleck will put them to retirement for good.

all the old dogs coming out to play, i wonder though can they teach the the new dogs any tricks, I'm sure Jan will be back now, just to race Armstrong

ad9898 said:
all the old dogs coming out to play, i wonder though can they teach the the new dogs any tricks, I'm sure Jan will be back now, just to race Armstrong
Kloden going to go batty.... he won't know who to chase down or ride for !

The only thing is, can Jan stay off the steak 'n' kidney and the meat and potatoe :D

Bike N Ski said:
I think with the Eurotard reference, he wasn't referring to Europe. In America, he was right on the money. Let Media Life spell it out for you(don't try and make a living shooting fish in a barrel).

Viewership was down 18 percent for the 2008 Tour through last Tuesday, according to the most recent Nielsen numbers available, going from an average 171,000 viewers last year to 140,000 this year.

That includes all the Tour dayparts, such as the live morning broadcasts and the taped primetime coverage.

The live segments, starting each day at 8:30 a.m., drew the biggest audience, 264,000, including 100,000 viewers 18-49. That’s compared to an average 343,000 in the morning last year, with 139,000 18-49s.

When the final numbers are out later this week, it will be the least-watched Tour in years, pulling barely half the average 315,000 who tuned in in 2005, the year Lance Armstrong won his last race.

As thick as......................................
Is this "lease a braincell week", over there in the fish barrel?

Who made any references to American Nielsen viewer numbers?
Bokkie didn't.
Re-read the **** he posted.
He belched out the usual waffle about no one watching the TDF.

Au contraire.

Increased 2008 TDF roadside spectator roadside numbers show that more people watched the TDF, at roadside, than in previous years.

The major TV channels covering the 2008 TDF in Europe show that more people watched the 2008 TDF than ever before.
For example, Eurosport announced record numbers of viewers throughout the EU/Middle East during the 2008 TDF.

I would also wager that TV/Nielsen data for Australian viewers for 2008 TDF
were also higher than in previous years.
Australia's Neilsen figures alone would probably make up any decrease in american numbers.

Throw in the fact that there were more roadside spectators than ever before
and even the likes of you can do the maths.

Keep fishing

ad9898 said:
all the old dogs coming out to play, i wonder though can they teach the the new dogs any tricks,

if Vino decides on a comeback..................................

But seriously.

My information is that none of the riders from the 1998-2006 generation, who have retired, would be welcomed back.
My contact tells me that the UCI would not welcome the re-instatement of these riders.
Even if it did help the UCI, in their civil war with the GT race owners, the UCI would not welcome their participation.

The same source tells me that the ASO will almost certainly not want anyone remotely connected with 1998 - 2006, back racing in the races that they control, either.

The flight of sponsors from the sport dictates everything..............and those riders under a cloud from 1999 - 2006 are still way too toxic.

This is wonderful news! :p

The big loser within Astana if LA starts 09Tour is Levi. He, just like AC and Klodie, will have to become LA's domestique. AC is young, and has many Tours ahead of him after 09.

limerickman said:
The same source tells me that the ASO will almost certainly not want anyone remotely connected with 1998 - 2006, back racing in the races that they control, either.

The flight of sponsors from the sport dictates everything..............and those riders under a cloud from 1999 - 2006 are still way too toxic.
Lim I'm with you on this but what worries me is Armstrong will run with the "Cancer Cure Crusade Team 2009" and have President Obama force ASO let the Astana Cures Cancer Team ride in the 2009 Tour.

Prudhomme is cautious but I get the feeling he will have to let them in.

whiteboytrash said:
Lim I'm with you on this but what worries me is Armstrong will run with the "Cancer Cure Crusade Team 2009" and have President Obama force ASO let the Astana Cures Cancer Team ride in the 2009 Tour.

If they actually name it the Astana Cures Cancer team I'll literally Vomit.

whiteboytrash said:

Obama is going to be the ASO president?