Armstrong gets an ally

Jason Spaceman

Guest
From the article:
---------------------------------------
NHL backs Armstrong's call on Pound

TSN.ca Staff

6/20/2006 10:51:17 AM

A day after a letter by Lance Armstrong called for the removal of **** Pound as
the head of the World Anti-Doping Agency, National Hockey League Deputy
Commissioner Bill Daly echoed the seven-time Tour de France champion's
sentiments.

Daly was contacted by TSN on Monday about Armstrong's request that the
International Olympic Committee to force Pound, a Montreal lawyer, to quit over
his handling of doping allegations against Armstrong.

"We are not at all surprised by Mr. Armstrong's request given Mr. Pound's
repeated instances of irresponsible behaviour and grandstanding," Daly wrote in
an email to TSN.

"We fully support Mr. Armstrong's plea to have the IOC hold Mr. Pound
accountable for his past actions, and laud Mr. Armstrong's willingness to stand
up for the rights of all of the innocent athletes who have been wrongly and
unfairly disparaged by Mr. Pound."

Last November, Pound stated that up to a third of NHL players were using banned
substances, and criticized the NHL's drug testing program.

Read it at http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169251&hubname=nhl

J. Spaceman

--
My email address ([email protected]) is fake. Email sent to it
will only get caught in my spam tarpit.

"Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> From the article:
> ---------------------------------------
> NHL backs Armstrong's call on Pound
>
> TSN.ca Staff
>
> 6/20/2006 10:51:17 AM
>
> A day after a letter by Lance Armstrong called for the removal of ****
> Pound as
> the head of the World Anti-Doping Agency, National Hockey League Deputy
> Commissioner Bill Daly echoed the seven-time Tour de France champion's
> sentiments.
>
> Daly was contacted by TSN on Monday about Armstrong's request that the
> International Olympic Committee to force Pound, a Montreal lawyer, to quit
> over
> his handling of doping allegations against Armstrong.
>
> "We are not at all surprised by Mr. Armstrong's request given Mr. Pound's
> repeated instances of irresponsible behaviour and grandstanding," Daly
> wrote in
> an email to TSN.
>
> "We fully support Mr. Armstrong's plea to have the IOC hold Mr. Pound
> accountable for his past actions, and laud Mr. Armstrong's willingness to
> stand
> up for the rights of all of the innocent athletes who have been wrongly
> and
> unfairly disparaged by Mr. Pound."
>
> Last November, Pound stated that up to a third of NHL players were using
> banned
> substances, and criticized the NHL's drug testing program.
>
> Read it at http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169251&hubname=nhl

ROTFL. With friends like that, who needs enemies? Ya think the NHL may
have some problems and not like the aggressive Mr. Pound and WADA? Who'll
be next to support Armstrong, Bud Selig? This will get more and more
amusing as organizations with longstanding drug problems look for ways to
maintain the status quo--and their business income.

B. Lafferty wrote:
> ROTFL. With friends like that, who needs enemies? Ya think the NHL may
> have some problems and not like the aggressive Mr. Pound and WADA? Who'll
> be next to support Armstrong, Bud Selig? This will get more and more
> amusing as organizations with longstanding drug problems look for ways to
> maintain the status quo--and their business income.

Dumbass,

Name one instance where drug problems caused a loss of income
to a sport as a whole. I'm talking macro here, not individual
athletes.

Bob Schwartz

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:F%[email protected]...
> B. Lafferty wrote:
>> ROTFL. With friends like that, who needs enemies? Ya think the NHL may
>> have some problems and not like the aggressive Mr. Pound and WADA?
>> Who'll be next to support Armstrong, Bud Selig? This will get more and
>> more amusing as organizations with longstanding drug problems look for
>> ways to maintain the status quo--and their business income.

> Dumbass,
>
> Name one instance where drug problems caused a loss of income
> to a sport as a whole. I'm talking macro here, not individual
> athletes.
>
> Bob Schwartz

Not the issue. A perceived threat to income is more than enough to get
people in bed together.

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> B. Lafferty wrote:
> > ROTFL. With friends like that, who needs enemies? Ya think the NHL may
> > have some problems and not like the aggressive Mr. Pound and WADA? Who'll
> > be next to support Armstrong, Bud Selig? This will get more and more
> > amusing as organizations with longstanding drug problems look for ways to
> > maintain the status quo--and their business income.

> Dumbass,
>
> Name one instance where drug problems caused a loss of income
> to a sport as a whole. I'm talking macro here, not individual
> athletes.
>
> Bob Schwartz

Weightlifting here in Canada lost most of it's funding, staff, office
and national coach (all government funded) after repeated postives and
athletes getting caught crossing borders with dope. But you probably
mean pro sport. Didn't some of the popular enduramce sports (rowing as
a crowd sport, six days cycling events in the US ), of the 1900-1920's
died after the public appetite waned, at least partly due to their
inhuman(e?) nature. It's also worth noting that there has never been
an expose of doping like we're experiencing now experiencing.

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:37:20 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:F%[email protected]...
>> B. Lafferty wrote:
>>> ROTFL. With friends like that, who needs enemies? Ya think the NHL may
>>> have some problems and not like the aggressive Mr. Pound and WADA?
>>> Who'll be next to support Armstrong, Bud Selig? This will get more and
>>> more amusing as organizations with longstanding drug problems look for
>>> ways to maintain the status quo--and their business income.

>> Dumbass,
>>
>> Name one instance where drug problems caused a loss of income
>> to a sport as a whole. I'm talking macro here, not individual
>> athletes.
>>
>> Bob Schwartz

>Not the issue. A perceived threat to income is more than enough to get
>people in bed together.

How about a perceived jerk with a McCarthyesque mouth and the power and
willingness to destroy careers to enhance his own power.

Crusaders make lousy cops. You want a prudent person who speaks clearly and
carefully, fully aware of the consequences of sloppy accusation. Not this
grandstanding buffoon who embraces gross violations of procedure when he thinks
it serves his greater cause.

Ron

"RonSonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:37:20 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:F%[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Dumbass,
>>>
>>> Name one instance where drug problems caused a loss of income
>>> to a sport as a whole. I'm talking macro here, not individual
>>> athletes.
>>>
>>> Bob Schwartz

>>Not the issue. A perceived threat to income is more than enough to get
>>people in bed together.

> How about a perceived jerk with a McCarthyesque mouth and the power and
> willingness to destroy careers to enhance his own power.
>
> Crusaders make lousy cops. You want a prudent person who speaks clearly
> and
> carefully, fully aware of the consequences of sloppy accusation. Not this
> grandstanding buffoon who embraces gross violations of procedure when he
> thinks
> it serves his greater cause.
>
> Ron

Opinions will vary. Thanks for sharing, Ron.

On 21 Jun 2006 05:48:03 -0700, "mtb Dad" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Didn't some of the popular enduramce sports (rowing as
>a crowd sport, six days cycling events in the US ), of the 1900-1920's
>died after the public appetite waned, at least partly due to their
>inhuman(e?) nature.

I've never seen the 'inhumane nature' (or drugs or scandal) used to
explain the waning appeal of six day cycling in the U.S. Mostly it was
the increase appeal of other sports as cycling in general declined,
several key promoters that miscalculated badly, and a couple of major
venues burning down at inopportune moments- at least one possibly for
insurance if I remember correctly.

Get back to me about 'inhumane' when two legitimate heavyweight boxers
can't sell out an arena. If you meant inhuman, get back to me when pro
wrestling disappears.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

RonSonic <[email protected]> writes:
> Crusaders make lousy cops. (...)

Is there a new kind of godwin point for bringing in Irak into rbr
threads ?

Benjamin Werner wrote:
> Is there a new kind of godwin point for bringing in Irak into rbr
> threads ?

Yes, but there's even more points available for phonetic spelling.

Dans le message de news:F%[email protected],
Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
> B. Lafferty wrote:
>> ROTFL. With friends like that, who needs enemies? Ya think the NHL
>> may have some problems and not like the aggressive Mr. Pound and
>> WADA? Who'll be next to support Armstrong, Bud Selig? This will
>> get more and more amusing as organizations with longstanding drug
>> problems look for ways to maintain the status quo--and their
>> business income.

> Dumbass,
>
> Name one instance where drug problems caused a loss of income
> to a sport as a whole. I'm talking macro here, not individual
> athletes.
>
> Bob Schwartz

Well, of course, you're right. Like points shaving, the net at risk capital
doesn't change - it is in a gross envelope. However, the distribution can
change. So, seems cheating is cheating and pays off when controlled or
hidden.
--
Sandy
-

- Richard Lewontin

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:43:46 +0200, Donald Munro
<[email protected]> wrote:

>RonSonic writes:
>>> Crusaders make lousy cops. (...)

>Benjamin Werner wrote:
>> Is there a new kind of godwin point for bringing in Irak into rbr
>> threads ?

>Yes, but there's even more points available for phonetic spelling.

Ever wonder why its never fonetic speling?

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Bob Schwartz wrote:

> Dumbass,
>
> Name one instance where drug problems caused a loss of income
> to a sport as a whole. I'm talking macro here, not individual
> athletes.

We've certainly seen losses of long-time sponsors: Mapei, for instance.
Liberty Seguros as a short-time sponsor, and that sh*t hasn't
finished hitting the fan yet. Didn't the Festina affair cause some
sponsors to back out?

Mark

Donald Munro wrote:
> RonSonic writes:
> >> Crusaders make lousy cops. (...)

> Benjamin Werner wrote:
> > Is there a new kind of godwin point for bringing in Irak into rbr
> > threads ?

> Yes, but there's even more points available for phonetic spelling.

Unless you're writing in Arabic, most spellings of Iraq/Irak
are phonetic. It's just that the phonetics are different in
French and English.

Anyway, in rbr we usually manage to transition smoothly into
discussions of Iraq, Rummy, global warming, and sunspots
without even needing to hop the metaphorical curb, let alone
invoke Godwin.

Benjamin Weiner
(not Benjamin Werner)

[email protected] wrote:
> Unless you're writing in Arabic, most spellings of Iraq/Irak
> are phonetic. It's just that the phonetics are different in
> French and English.

The typical american newsanchor fonetic speling would then be eye rack
(and no I wasn't thinking of heathers deck when I wrote that).

With friends like the NHL, who needs a proctologist?

Who'll be next to step-up and support Lance? Barry Bonds?

Jason Spaceman wrote:
> From the article:
> ---------------------------------------
> NHL backs Armstrong's call on Pound
>
> TSN.ca Staff
>
> 6/20/2006 10:51:17 AM
>
> A day after a letter by Lance Armstrong called for the removal of **** Pound as
> the head of the World Anti-Doping Agency, National Hockey League Deputy
> Commissioner Bill Daly echoed the seven-time Tour de France champion's
> sentiments.
>
> Daly was contacted by TSN on Monday about Armstrong's request that the
> International Olympic Committee to force Pound, a Montreal lawyer, to quit over
> his handling of doping allegations against Armstrong.
>
> "We are not at all surprised by Mr. Armstrong's request given Mr. Pound's
> repeated instances of irresponsible behaviour and grandstanding," Daly wrote in
> an email to TSN.
>
> "We fully support Mr. Armstrong's plea to have the IOC hold Mr. Pound
> accountable for his past actions, and laud Mr. Armstrong's willingness to stand
> up for the rights of all of the innocent athletes who have been wrongly and
> unfairly disparaged by Mr. Pound."
>
> Last November, Pound stated that up to a third of NHL players were using banned
> substances, and criticized the NHL's drug testing program.
>
> Read it at http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169251&hubname=nhl
>

> J. Spaceman
>
> --
> My email address ([email protected]) is fake. Email sent to it
> will only get caught in my spam tarpit.

"Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Daly was contacted by TSN on Monday about Armstrong's request that the
> International Olympic Committee to force Pound, a Montreal lawyer, to quit
> over
> his handling of doping allegations against Armstrong.

Anyone here getting the idea that Lafferty and Pound have a lot in common?
Like a mental disturbance?

Bob Schwartz wrote:

> Dumbass,
>
> Name one instance where drug problems caused a loss of income
> to a sport as a whole. I'm talking macro here, not individual
> athletes.

dumbass,

who do you think pays for pro cycling; where there is almost no revenue
from ticket sales ?

even if doping doesn't turn fans away from the sport, it will still
scare away sponsors.