Armstrong gets an ally

Bob Schwartz wrote:

> Dumbass,
>
> Name one instance where drug problems caused a loss of income
> to a sport as a whole. I'm talking macro here, not individual
> athletes.

dumbass,

who do you think pays for pro cycling; where there is almost no revenue
from ticket sales ?

even if doping doesn't turn fans away from the sport, it will still
scare away sponsors.

Mark wrote:
> Bob Schwartz wrote:
>
>> Dumbass,
>>
>> Name one instance where drug problems caused a loss of income
>> to a sport as a whole. I'm talking macro here, not individual
>> athletes.

> We've certainly seen losses of long-time sponsors: Mapei, for instance.
> Liberty Seguros as a short-time sponsor, and that sh*t hasn't
> finished hitting the fan yet. Didn't the Festina affair cause some
> sponsors to back out?
>
> Mark

Sponsors come, sponsors go. In the end Festina didn't matter.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/69c63797e2e46373

Bob Schwartz