Armstrong gives us hope against dope

"If big muscles are among the telltale signs, Armstrong doesn't appear to be using steroids." At least the guy admitted to not understanding cycling.

artmichalek said:
"If big muscles are among the telltale signs, Armstrong doesn't appear to be using steroids." At least the guy admitted to not understanding cycling.

Besides what is wrong with people having their illusions? As far as hope inspiring heros go to millions of people, he has to be near the top, doper or not. My favorite part of this article:
"It has made him so strong that he's won this cockamamie bike race six years in a row, this race that seems to stand for so much to so many people outside our borders. And, of course, it kills the French that he does it. So hooray for Lance."

wilmar13 said:
Besides what is wrong with people having their illusions? As far as hope inspiring heros go to millions of people, he has to be near the top, doper or not. My favorite part of this article:
"It has made him so strong that he's won this cockamamie bike race six years in a row, this race that seems to stand for so much to so many people outside our borders. And, of course, it kills the French that he does it. So hooray for Lance."

I'm always amazed that so many of my countrymen love LA but have no idea what the Tour -- or any other race -- is actually about. LA gets these glowing Sports Illustrated articles and appears on Oprah and no one even watches the Tour -- much less any other races. If Barry Bonds had any class and cared to give money to charity instead of just being a greedy pig, he'd get the same treatment. LA is the athelete we wish all our atheletes would be.

tcklyde said:
LA is the athelete we wish all our atheletes would be.
Eh, I dunno. The perfect athlete would be more obviously clean than Lance. I can't condemn the man, but I wouldn't bet my retirement on his doping innocence either. Nor does he seem to be my kind of guy on a human level; I don't think we'd hang out if we were neighbors.

He's an admirable athlete, and his cancer advocacy work is good. It stops there for me.

lokstah said:
I can't condemn the man, but I wouldn't bet my retirement on his doping innocence either.

I'd take it one step further (without hesitation for that matter) and say I wouldn't bet one penny of my money on any top professional cyclist being "clean". Well okay, except for maybe Filippo Simeoni... :rolleyes:

lokstah said:
Eh, I dunno. The perfect athlete would be more obviously clean than Lance. I can't condemn the man, but I wouldn't bet my retirement on his doping innocence either. Nor does he seem to be my kind of guy on a human level; I don't think we'd hang out if we were neighbors.

He's an admirable athlete, and his cancer advocacy work is good. It stops there for me.

Oops, I should clarify: I mean purely from an advocacy and charity perspective. I'm much more agnostic on the doping issue.