Armstrong Has Lousy Taste In Music

obxbes

Mar 9, 2005
On Twitter Armstrong posted a picture of his ipod showing the album cover from a group called Rage Against the Machine. I wonder if he would give this group free press if he knew they participated in benefit concerts for a cop killer mumia abu jamal.

obxbes said:
On Twitter Armstrong posted a picture of his ipod showing the album cover from a group called Rage Against the Machine. I wonder if he would give this group free press if he knew they participated in benefit concerts for a cop killer mumia abu jamal.
If someone doesn't know that RatM have a college sophomore-level grasp of liberal politics, then they haven't been paying one whit of attention to the lyrics.

Besides, if you're looking for role models, popular music is a pretty dumb place to look. At the very least, even if you disagree with RatM's politics (or find them overly simplistic), I think their attempts to engage their listeners politically are a step up from the pandering **** that comes spilling out of most artists' mouths.

BTW, they also agitate in favor of Fed killer Leonard Peltier. And Peruvian commie terrorists Shining Path.

It's just me, but I don't really care all that much about a band's politics; damned few of them are centrist, anyway. If they put out a song that I like, I listen to that song, and maybe another 1-2 from the album.

For example, I'm not a Stones fan; they have put out probably 4 songs that I like. I don't even know what their politics are, but those few songs that I like, I listen to.

Used to be a knee-jerk Heart fan -- don't agree with the belief system OR the politics of the Wilson sisters, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying their efforts.

BTW -- I do agree with the OP, for a different reason...RatM just sucks, in my opinion. But then, I also know LA likes Linkin Park, which I do like....

Where's all the Phish? You would think he would have a lot more drug bands.

Big Mountain Fudge Cake might also be appropriate.

Mumia makes a lot of sense, have you heard his radio broadcasts?

obxbes said:

Come on now. I feel as though some people are hating on RAtM simply because of the Armstrong connection now :rolleyes: .

They've been mocked quite a bit for their political stances, but hey, at least they've got the huevos to get their thoughts out there. I doubt that many followers of their music are as extreme as them anyway - I for one have to laugh at a few of their lyrics, but LOVE their aggresive nature. It's awesome music to warm up to, and makes 2X20s a bit less agonizing. It doesn't surprise me that he listens to it.

And you prefer Linkin Park to RAtM? Now, I'm just nit-picking, but from what I've seen, Linkin Park can't perform worth a darn - like fish out of water when they weren't in a studio. But that's my $0.02, and my taste I guess.

That said... I wonder if LA has ever taken the message from "Testify" to heart...

Anybody ever hear of the band Doping Panda? ;)

It's not a party--a right wing nut job party--until someone starts goin' on about "commies." I guess McCarthy really isn't dead.

Long live Jello Biafra.

Most good bands/artists are full of **** when they aren't recording good music.

I'm sure Lance just likes RATM for the prevailing sentiment at the end of "Killing in the Name of".

spinner32 said:
Come on now. I feel as though some people are hating on RAtM simply because of the Armstrong connection now :rolleyes: .

And you prefer Linkin Park to RAtM? Now, I'm just nit-picking, but from what I've seen, Linkin Park can't perform worth a darn - like fish out of water when they weren't in a studio. But that's my $0.02, and my taste I guess. ;)
Maybe some are doing that, but I heard of RatM before I heard of LA....

You're entitled to your opinion, and I do not try to get you to justify it -- allow me the same courtesy. After all, some people like Beyonce' while others like Lil Jon and the Outsidas. Some still like Sinatra, others live for bluegrass.

If you prefer, and even have use for, the product issued by RatM, go ahead -- I prefer LP, but they're not even anywhere CLOSE to my fever for the Scorpions, BTO, Journey, etc. I don't jam while I ride -- it diminishes the experience for me. Music is for wrenching, and falling asleep at night, or relaxing during rainy times...in my lil corner of paradise.

I am not disparging the music itself. In fact when I have heard ratm on the radio it wasn't half bad. The problem I have is they performed benefit concerts for a convicted cop killer and LA politics lean to the right so I am really surprised that LA would give free press to this band.
bigpedaler said:
Maybe some are doing that, but I heard of RatM before I heard of LA....

You're entitled to your opinion, and I do not try to get you to justify it -- allow me the same courtesy. After all, some people like Beyonce' while others like Lil Jon and the Outsidas. Some still like Sinatra, others live for bluegrass.

If you prefer, and even have use for, the product issued by RatM, go ahead -- I prefer LP, but they're not even anywhere CLOSE to my fever for the Scorpions, BTO, Journey, etc. I don't jam while I ride -- it diminishes the experience for me. Music is for wrenching, and falling asleep at night, or relaxing during rainy times...in my lil corner of paradise.

obxbes said:
I am not disparging the music itself. In fact when I have heard ratm on the radio it wasn't half bad. The problem I have is they performed benefit concerts for a convicted cop killer and LA politics lean to the right so I am really surprised that LA would give free press to this band.
I hear Dwight Yoakam is a douchebag but I still think he's one of the best country songwriters going.

I lean to the left but still think John Milius' movies (Big Wednesday, Red Dawn, Conan the Barbarian) are great.

Sometimes politics don't mean anything, you like what you like.

Chavez said:
I hear Dwight Yoakam is a douchebag but I still think he's one of the best country songwriters going.

I lean to the left but still think John Milius' movies (Big Wednesday, Red Dawn, Conan the Barbarian) are great.

Sometimes politics don't mean anything, you like what you like.
Well said. Could be said for women too. :D Though, I'd really prefer if we didn't get into a discussion of LA's pursuits of the opposite sex. Oops.