Armstrong High Cadence on your low intensity rides

Your body will always use the most readily available energy source. You will never spare glycogen and burn fat instead.

doctorSpoc said:
oh, man! no, you actually don't get it...

when i say "maximize TSS" it actually does take into account the time you have to ride and how intense the ride can be... because the shorter the time you have to ride the higher intensity you are able to ride at and if fat burning is your goal the better off you are in the fat burning department as well if you ride more intensely when the duration is shorter..

for my self if i'm doing 6 hrs i can ride at probably 180-200W for something that long.. but if i only have 1 hr and maximum fat burning is my goal, it would be foolish to ride at that low an intensity.. i'd be much better off riding at threshold since i'm capable of it and i'd burn much more calories and fat at that intensity... the point is that thinking there is a fat burning zone (read intensity) is wrong... you will burn more calories and fat if you look at the time, figure out how intense you can make the ride, make it as intense as you can for the duration.. if you make it as intense as you are capable of for the duration you will be maximizing load/TSS just like i said..

so no, you didn't get it... hopefully you've got it now...

it really doesn't matter if the OP's intention is to smell the daisies or not.. if he thinks there is some zone/intensity associated with burning fat he is just dead wrong... you will burn the most fat by riding as intensely as you can for the duration... i.e. maximizing one's TSS or load for that particular ride.. he may or may not be interested in doing that, but that is how he would burn the most calories and fat...
I got it two decades ago... Literally. Thanks for pointing out again something that you already pointed out and missed the simple point of not really knowing what the guy actually wants to do with his time on the bike.

You're also, weirdly, responding to someone who's just got a cadence sensor with fun terms like TSS. I'm taking a wild stab in the dark here that they may not be upto speed (pun intended) with all the acronyms of training with power. Remember, this isn't the Power Training forum...

Spunout said:
Your body will always use the most readily available energy source. You will never spare glycogen and burn fat instead.
No... but you could always go really hard to two hours and then have to ride the 4 hours back bonked out your brains! :eek:

doctorSpoc said:
I have never neen tested.. but You realize that there is a difference between exersise that would result in the direct use of lipids as fuel vs exersise that would result I'm me losing body fat reguardless of the initial energy souce.. those are two different things. losing weight just depends on a caloric deficit.

oh, and as for your presumption about me falsifying a reply, especially about testing I may have had.. you obviously don't know me.. I use a common sense aproach to guide my training and think most of the formal testing is a big waste of time and money.. si you are a little off base there in your presumtion
Eh man, I'm not interested in an argument/debate over this stuff - I know what I know about myself. I speak from own experience so as to not stick my foot in my mouth with regard to commenting on other's experiences. To tell someone that they're "just dead wrong" surely sets yourself up for a fall, which you took here.

Not interested in going with you on your next tangent of "losing weight...". The OP started this thread mentioning he/she is currently riding at low intensity in order to burn/mitigate fat. Weight loss discussion is a whole other forum to itself.

Lastly, you're pointing out that I was wrong with my speculation about you is acceptable. You're right - I don't know you. I don't know you any more than you know the OP, but that's never stopped anyone from speculating - has it?

swampy1970 said:
I got it two decades ago... Literally. Thanks for pointing out again something that you already pointed out and missed the simple point of not really knowing what the guy actually wants to do with his time on the bike.

You're also, weirdly, responding to someone who's just got a cadence sensor with fun terms like TSS. I'm taking a wild stab in the dark here that they may not be upto speed (pun intended) with all the acronyms of training with power. Remember, this isn't the Power Training forum...

again, with the problems reading... have a look.. nowhere in my response to the OP is the word TSS or even power...

i mentioned TSS to tonyzackery, someone i know uses power and knows what TSS is... and preceded that post with the words "i'll shamelessly continue the tangent to say..."

and look, i was providing some info that i though might help the the OP... the OP said one of his goals was "to lose fat or to keep it at bay" and the most time efficient way of doing that is "maximize load (intensity and time)".. that's what i said... no mention of power, no mention of TSS in that post to the OP... i have no idea what you are talking about and i'm pretty sure you don't either...

if you have a legitimate problem with something i say raise it, that's what these forums are for, but don't just make stuff up.. c'mon man, the posts are right there for everyone to read.. basically everything you say in your posts have been show to be complete and utter bs.. do you think that people aren't going to just scroll up the page or click back to page one to see that i don't say anything like what you ascribe to me and that you're full of it? do yourself a favor and please stop.

tonyzackery said:
Eh man, I'm not interested in an argument/debate over this stuff - I know what I know about myself. I speak from own experience so as to not stick my foot in my mouth with regard to commenting on other's experiences. To tell someone that they're "just dead wrong" surely sets yourself up for a fall, which you took here.

Not interested in going with you on your next tangent of "losing weight...". The OP started this thread mentioning he/she is currently riding at low intensity in order to burn/mitigate fat. Weight loss discussion is a whole other forum to itself.

Lastly, you're pointing out that I was wrong with my speculation about you is acceptable. You're right - I don't know you. I don't know you any more than you know the OP, but that's never stopped anyone from speculating - has it?

i think i'm right... and i don't know the OP but i do know what he wrote... the OP says "lose fat" not use fat... i think it's you that has it wrong...

swampy1970 said:
No... but you could always go really hard to two hours and then have to ride the 4 hours back bonked out your brains! :eek:
This is how you could do it. Similar to the cyclingnews articles on mitrochondria production. Also I've seen many euro training regimens (pro level) with a few hours of 'souplesse' after your interval training sessions.

Holy ****...Swampy, I had no idea that you were getting up to these levels. A big congrats goes out to you. I thought you were still having some health issues last I remember and you said you were taking it quite light.

Again really nice numbers...you did this during a race or a training ride? I have to look up some of your recent posts but were you doing the 20 minute intervals?

What do you think your FTP is? Going to get back into TT?

-js

swampy1970 said:

jsirabella said:
Holy ****...Swampy, I had no idea that you were getting up to these levels. A big congrats goes out to you. I thought you were still having some health issues last I remember and you said you were taking it quite light.

Again really nice numbers...you did this during a race or a training ride? I have to look up some of your recent posts but were you doing the 20 minute intervals?

What do you think your FTP is? Going to get back into TT?

-js

To be honest I felt f#$king great the past few weeks - not really sure why but they just have. I've noticed that I go through periods of good and bad form and I can't figure out why... I keep fairly good records of diet, rest, training, when I've forgot to take medication, weather (noting air quality advisories) etc... but I can go from a couple of hours at 280+watts to struggling to hold 260 for 20 minutes. It still feels like the breathing is hindered and the pulmonologist is somewhat mystified as to how I'm doing what I'm doing on my bike. But, I'll take what I have and let him think about it.

I did a Monod test a couple of weeks ago and it spat out an FTP of approx 348watts... so, I was in the market for bumping up the training a little and felt motivated. It wasn't the best of nights but then again you rarely get them during races anyway. I actually set out to just to do 90 minutes but I just decided to do one more lap and go for 2 hours...

Right now my legs feel like solid blocks of iron - lots of 2.5 to 4 hour rides that too be honest have been a little too hard. I've got just over another week of training before backing off a bit for the Alta Alpina 200 mile dash through the mountains... I got WKO+ a few days ago and took a look at the Performance Manager Chart and it's, well, not the best... LOL. That TSB line is telling me exactly what my legs are telling me. The past three weeks have been like being on a training holiday in the Tenerife or Majorca back when I raced.

Racing - that's a tricky one. I stopped racing cars so I wouldn't have to spend a whole day out and about racing and neglect the wife n kids. I got back on the bike so I could do something and not get caught up in that... So, I might do some races that are real close but apart from that I'm not looking for a full seasons worth of events. There's a mid week timetrial series about 30 miles from here. One I lose the gut and can actually reach the armrests on the time trial bike with my elbows once again, I might give that a go. I figure the old campag shamals and vittoria tubs might need some new glue though!

Based on the results of the medication I would say KEEP TAKING IT! I mean the results are amazing. 2 hours above 300 watts is quite a feat and to have an estimated ftp about 350 makes you wonder how you could have any medical issues really.

As far as the racing I understand completely but with your numbers and your obvious love of TT based upon your posts I would say you should definitely give it a try. When I was trying to race I was doing those daybreak races so that I could be home before the wife and kid woke up.

Good luck on your dash through the mountains...so not to bring up a soar subject vut do you attest any of your results to the powercranks?

In anycase great work and good luck going forward.

-js

swampy1970 said:

To be honest I felt f#$king great the past few weeks - not really sure why but they just have. I've noticed that I go through periods of good and bad form and I can't figure out why... I keep fairly good records of diet, rest, training, when I've forgot to take medication, weather (noting air quality advisories) etc... but I can go from a couple of hours at 280+watts to struggling to hold 260 for 20 minutes. It still feels like the breathing is hindered and the pulmonologist is somewhat mystified as to how I'm doing what I'm doing on my bike. But, I'll take what I have and let him think about it.

I did a Monod test a couple of weeks ago and it spat out an FTP of approx 348watts... so, I was in the market for bumping up the training a little and felt motivated. It wasn't the best of nights but then again you rarely get them during races anyway. I actually set out to just to do 90 minutes but I just decided to do one more lap and go for 2 hours...

Right now my legs feel like solid blocks of iron - lots of 2.5 to 4 hour rides that too be honest have been a little too hard. I've got just over another week of training before backing off a bit for the Alta Alpina 200 mile dash through the mountains... I got WKO+ a few days ago and took a look at the Performance Manager Chart and it's, well, not the best... LOL. That TSB line is telling me exactly what my legs are telling me. The past three weeks have been like being on a training holiday in the Tenerife or Majorca back when I raced.

Racing - that's a tricky one. I stopped racing cars so I wouldn't have to spend a whole day out and about racing and neglect the wife n kids. I got back on the bike so I could do something and not get caught up in that... So, I might do some races that are real close but apart from that I'm not looking for a full seasons worth of events. There's a mid week timetrial series about 30 miles from here. One I lose the gut and can actually reach the armrests on the time trial bike with my elbows once again, I might give that a go. I figure the old campag shamals and vittoria tubs might need some new glue though!

jsirabella said:
Based on the results of the medication I would say KEEP TAKING IT! I mean the results are amazing. 2 hours above 300 watts is quite a feat and to have an estimated ftp about 350 makes you wonder how you could have any medical issues really.

As far as the racing I understand completely but with your numbers and your obvious love of TT based upon your posts I would say you should definitely give it a try. When I was trying to race I was doing those daybreak races so that I could be home before the wife and kid woke up.

Good luck on your dash through the mountains...so not to bring up a soar subject vut do you attest any of your results to the powercranks?

In anycase great work and good luck going forward.

-js
I'll give some of the TT's a go. Not sure about this year though but I'll get around to something. Maybe some local crits and roadraces too... just don't expect any race reports from racing in SoCal or Nevada though. :p

As far as the pulmonary issues go, I know I have a reduced lung volume - 4.2liters and apparently for a guy who's 5'11" that's way below average. My FEF 25/75 and FEV 6 are 61% and 50% of "normal" - how this effects me I don't know but that hasn't changed much in the past year. I passed out just before the 6 second mark of my last set of tests. LOL The doc thinks that losing weigh could be my best bet in this oddity.

As for the PowerCranks... I certainly feel more 'at ease' when going hard. Does this mean I got better because of them? Not sure... but I definitely not expecting numbers like that this year. But the best thing is that automatic "getting that gear over nicely - I'm flying" feeling when you're back on regular cranks.

But still top of the priority list - get rid of more weight. Down to 175lbs... from a high this year of 192.