Armstrong Interview in Cyclingnews

Malkmus

Mar 23, 2008
HHMNBN was interviewed in cyclingnews today. The interview ends with:

Cyclingnews: From watching the Tour from back home in the US, do you miss it?

LA: I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the camaraderie of a team. Guys like George and of course Johan [Bruyneel] were really important parts of the whole day-to- day set up. But I had my time, and I had good run.

I couldn't help but think if this were a few years ago he would have said:

LA: I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the camaraderie of a team. Guys like George [Triki, Roberto, Floyd, Tyler] and of course Johan [Bruyneel] were really important parts of the whole day-to- day set up. But I had my time, and I had good run.

His list of friends is getting smaller.

Cyclingnews: Have you been following the Tour closely?

Lance Armstrong:I'm in Chicago right now bangin' someone who looks like my Mom, but I've been watching the race when I can. It's been exciting, and I've been enjoying it. Not as exciting as bangin' someone who looks like my Mom though.

Cyclingnews: It's been an incredibly tight race with plenty of excitement. What's stuck out for you?

LA: Tighter than Sheryl Crow's ass! I mean, you have that guy with the big chin, and he's still as the favourite in my opinion. The guys from Team CSC have been doing what you'd expect and, of course, there's been Denis the Menace and that Belgian guy, Christian Vande Velde. To be honest I have been surprised by Kohl though. I've simply never heard of that guy before the race. Who is he? How many testicles does he have? Clearly three.

Cyclingnews: You mentioned Christian Vande Velde. He a former team-mate from your US Postal days. Have you been following him closely?

LA: Is he? I thought he was Belgian? Anyway, some people may not have expected to see Christian do so well, but I know first-hand that he's a very strong guy and that he gets better and better as the race unfolds due to the quality of our old Discovery phamaceuticals.

He's also got a heap of experience, too, having ridden a bike before.

Perhaps his biggest strength might be that he can get stronger as the race goes on, while some of his rivals could become weaker due to the inferiority of their pharmaceuticals. Don't forget he can time trial well, too. I know he used to have some problems with his back and legs when he was younger. He seems to have sorted those out now [wink] and he is riding a great race.

Cyclingnews: Have you been in contact with many of the riders in the race this year?

LA: Well there aren't to many US guys racing this year coz let's face it, now that I'm not riding all the folks back home have gone back to watching Nascar. I think there are four, but I've spoken to George [Hincapie] a few times and swapped a few messages with him. We're still good friends. Did you know he has one of my little yellow armbands?

Cyclingnews: Only four US riders. Is that an issue for US cycling? It's certainly less than in previous editions.

LA: Well, there are two US teams in the race [High Road and Garmin] and that's certainly something to be optimistic about. They're also having great races, too. But I don't think it's bad that they only have a few US riders within them, coz they all suck anyway.

If you look back to when I was in Discovery, near the end there was only George and I on the team in terms of US riders. I'm sure if they could, Garmin and High Road would ride with more American riders, but they have responsibilities to their sponsors to use actual good riders.

Cyclingnews: There's less than a week to go. Other than Christian who do you think is really in with a shout of yellow?

LA: That's a real tough one. I noticed that big chin guy looked like he was suffering on the last climb to Prato Nevoso and if you're suffering at this stage on such a short climb then he could be in real trouble when the race climbs Alpe d'Huez. It's such a hard climb there's really no place to hide out there so if you're not going well you could lose minutes and in this race that would mean your Tour would be over, although now he has his wife and his dog with him, things should be looking up for him.

Luckly she doesn't look like my Mom, or she'd be in trouble! [Laughs]

Cyclingnews: Who, his wife or his dog?

LA: Both!

If you're asking me to pick who I think looks strong going into the mountains then I'd have to go with that Communist guy. Nothing is certain though, so you can't count out Christian. He's very handsome. Actually come to think of it.....

Cyclingnews: At the start of the Tour you said Damiano Cunego isn't a Tour rider and that he wouldn't be in contention. That's been proved right so far.

LA: He's Italian, right? I have many Italian friends, but they all need to realise that this race isn't the Giro d'Italia or Lombardy. It's a completely different world, and it's the hardest race you can ride. Those races are just not compatible. I say that because I never bothered to win the ****er.

Okay, so maybe I don't have that many Italian friends anymore.

Cyclingnews: You've mentioned before that Astana should be here at the Tour de France. Do you still think that?

LA: Definitely. The Tour is the place for the best riders to compete in the best race in the World and Contador is in my opinion the best bike rider in the world right now. I think it's wrong that they're not there. You just have to look at the measures they've gone to in the last year. They've installed the same protocol as CSC, but it's only CSC that has received the credit.

Cyclingnews: But they were doped up to the eyeballs.

LA: And your point is.....?

Cyclingnews: Forget it. From watching the Tour from back home in the US, do you miss it?

LA: Nah. It was impossible to get a decent hamburger and the ****ers don't speak American, so who cares? It's just a drag I had to win something in France so all those morans would buy more Treks.

Thylacine said:
Cyclingnews: Have you been following the Tour closely?

Lance Armstrong:I'm in Chicago right now bangin' someone who looks like my Mom, but I've been watching the race when I can. It's been exciting, and I've been enjoying it. Not as exciting as bangin' someone who looks like my Mom though.

Cyclingnews: It's been an incredibly tight race with plenty of excitement. What's stuck out for you?

LA: Tighter than Sheryl Crow's ass! I mean, you have that guy with the big chin, and he's still as the favourite in my opinion. The guys from Team CSC have been doing what you'd expect and, of course, there's been Denis the Menace and that Belgian guy, Christian Vande Velde. To be honest I have been surprised by Kohl though. I've simply never heard of that guy before the race. Who is he? How many testicles does he have? Clearly three.

Cyclingnews: You mentioned Christian Vande Velde. He a former team-mate from your US Postal days. Have you been following him closely?

LA: Is he? I thought he was Belgian? Anyway, some people may not have expected to see Christian do so well, but I know first-hand that he's a very strong guy and that he gets better and better as the race unfolds due to the quality of our old Discovery phamaceuticals.

He's also got a heap of experience, too, having ridden a bike before.

Perhaps his biggest strength might be that he can get stronger as the race goes on, while some of his rivals could become weaker due to the inferiority of their pharmaceuticals. Don't forget he can time trial well, too. I know he used to have some problems with his back and legs when he was younger. He seems to have sorted those out now [wink] and he is riding a great race.

Cyclingnews: Have you been in contact with many of the riders in the race this year?

LA: Well there aren't to many US guys racing this year coz let's face it, now that I'm not riding all the folks back home have gone back to watching Nascar. I think there are four, but I've spoken to George [Hincapie] a few times and swapped a few messages with him. We're still good friends. Did you know he has one of my little yellow armbands?

Cyclingnews: Only four US riders. Is that an issue for US cycling? It's certainly less than in previous editions.

LA: Well, there are two US teams in the race [High Road and Garmin] and that's certainly something to be optimistic about. They're also having great races, too. But I don't think it's bad that they only have a few US riders within them, coz they all suck anyway.

If you look back to when I was in Discovery, near the end there was only George and I on the team in terms of US riders. I'm sure if they could, Garmin and High Road would ride with more American riders, but they have responsibilities to their sponsors to use actual good riders.

Cyclingnews: There's less than a week to go. Other than Christian who do you think is really in with a shout of yellow?

LA: That's a real tough one. I noticed that big chin guy looked like he was suffering on the last climb to Prato Nevoso and if you're suffering at this stage on such a short climb then he could be in real trouble when the race climbs Alpe d'Huez. It's such a hard climb there's really no place to hide out there so if you're not going well you could lose minutes and in this race that would mean your Tour would be over, although now he has his wife and his dog with him, things should be looking up for him.

Luckly she doesn't look like my Mom, or she'd be in trouble! [Laughs]

Cyclingnews: Who, his wife or his dog?

LA: Both!

If you're asking me to pick who I think looks strong going into the mountains then I'd have to go with that Communist guy. Nothing is certain though, so you can't count out Christian. He's very handsome. Actually come to think of it.....

Cyclingnews: At the start of the Tour you said Damiano Cunego isn't a Tour rider and that he wouldn't be in contention. That's been proved right so far.

LA: He's Italian, right? I have many Italian friends, but they all need to realise that this race isn't the Giro d'Italia or Lombardy. It's a completely different world, and it's the hardest race you can ride. Those races are just not compatible. I say that because I never bothered to win the ****er.

Okay, so maybe I don't have that many Italian friends anymore.

Cyclingnews: You've mentioned before that Astana should be here at the Tour de France. Do you still think that?

LA: Definitely. The Tour is the place for the best riders to compete in the best race in the World and Contador is in my opinion the best bike rider in the world right now. I think it's wrong that they're not there. You just have to look at the measures they've gone to in the last year. They've installed the same protocol as CSC, but it's only CSC that has received the credit.

Cyclingnews: But they were doped up to the eyeballs.

LA: And your point is.....?

Cyclingnews: Forget it. From watching the Tour from back home in the US, do you miss it?

LA: Nah. It was impossible to get a decent hamburger and the ****ers don't speak American, so who cares? It's just a drag I had to win something in France so all those morans would buy more Treks.

Tres bien!

brilliant!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Personally, I think the TDF has become a second class race with the Astana ban. The Giro has replaced the TDF as far as the best race of the year.

wolfix said:
Personally, I think the TDF has become a second class race with the Astana ban. The Giro has replaced the TDF as far as the best race of the year.
From a racing standpoint, they have both been great. I don't think Astana in or out would make any difference in that.

wolfix said:
Yes, it would have been better if they had come, get a couple of riders busted for doping and get kicked out again and forever in addition to exposing the fraud of JB once and for all. ;)

TheDarkLord said:
Yes, it would have been better if they had come, get a couple of riders busted for doping and get kicked out again and forever in addition to exposing the fraud of JB once and for all. ;)

I'm actually surprised that we have seen only one positive on the 3rd generation EPO stuff. Was it a targeted test? Do they try this test on all riders they test?

Cobblestones said:
I'm actually surprised that we have seen only one positive on the 3rd generation EPO stuff. Was it a targeted test? Do they try this test on all riders they test?

it was revealed today that Roche (the manufacture of CERA) put a chemical in the product that could be detected and would reveal improper use. this makes a lot of sense since from every thing i've read it should have been the perfect undetectable dope... the molecule is too big to pass through into the urine so i was wondering how in the hell the could have possibly detected something that couldn't possibly be there. but the didn't.. they detected this other sort of flagging substance that was put in there... these guys aren't as dumb as they look :)

High-tech development caught Riccò